How much lifting + cardio

Options
So I just started lifting again this week and I realised I can't lift for 30-60 minutes and then do my planned run afterward (3 miles). I also just started working out in the morning so I don't know if not having a day's worth of hydration+fuel is making it harder to run further or if its just the lifting before hand.

So I was thinking of doing 6 days of workouts instead of 5, where I lift MWF and run 3 miles SunTuTh. Or would it be better to just work towards running on lifting days? Or maybe lift in the mornings and run in the afternoon? I'm just looking for what others are already doing or any advice people have.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I rest one day, lift 3, run the other 3. It's completely doable. My runs are 2, 3.5, and 4.5 miles.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Your schedule looks fine to me.

Me personally I love my cardio after weights. Burns more calories and it loosen up everything since the lactic acid from lifting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    run 3 miles?

You can do that on your lifting days, it's not a strain.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    run 3 miles?

Everyone starts somewhere. If there not ready for it there not ready YET.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    All depends on personal preference.

I do 3 days lifting for 30 min, and 6 days cardio for 30 min. Sometimes I do cardio first, sometimes I do weights first. Change it up to keep my body guessing!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    run 3 miles?

Exactly.

And beyond ability, there can be time issues. It may be easier to carve out six 1 hour sessions than three 2 hour sessions.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    run 3 miles?

Exactly.

And beyond ability, there can be time issues. It may be easier to carve out six 1 hour sessions than three 2 hour sessions.

bull. 3 miles is something even a child can do, and you don't have to do it all in one block. :)

Wake up, 5km run, 40 -45 minutes done. Shower, go to work. After work, go lift. done. 2 1 hour sessions, 3 days a week. Bueno.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    run 3 miles?

Perhaps they want to break up their cardio and lifting days.

And maybe 3 miles for the OP is a strain. Perhaps they don't have the time to do both or they just don't want to.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

So I was thinking of doing 6 days of workouts instead of 5, where I lift MWF and run 3 miles SunTuTh. Or would it be better to just work towards running on lifting days? Or maybe lift in the mornings and run in the afternoon? I'm just looking for what others are already doing or any advice people have.

i think this split sounds great. the only thing i would change, is the running. like with lifting, you need to run with a purpose. no need to go out and run 3 miles every day. one day can be a long run (sunday) and tuesday and thursday can be a fartlek speed work out day, and a tempo run another day.
  • mithranor
    mithranor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ya I plan on doing a little cardio to end my lifting days, just ~1.5 miles for the same reasons you mentioned

Edit: this was supposed to be a reply to someone but it didn't quote it