Women and Weight Lifting

Options
I am wanting some suggestions on what are some good weight lifting things to do for the whole body OR if someone knows a good sight.

I am not in terrible shape but I want to become less jiggly -- haha -- and the weight room really intimidates me.

Does anyone know some good moves for a lady (24) tryin to get in better shape or a site that has great suggestions.

I have looked at some sites and honestly the things suggested I would not do in front of people -- I dont wanna be hoping around or flinging stuff around the gym. I am super self conscious at the gym .

Any help would be great! :)

Replies

• Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There is an app called pump up. I've got that on my phone and it's awesome! You can chose to do weights at home or gym or away, chose the equipment, duration, and type of muscles targeted. I'd say look into it and try it out! If you do my name is Dsieda and you can add me on there.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    exrx.net is a great site. They have a beginners section, a few workouts. You can click on different body parts and they will give you exercises for them with videos showing how to do it.

It's pretty much my go-to site
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    strong lfits
    starting strength
    new rules of lifting for women
    strong curves

and don't worry about what other people think of you. You'll waste a lot of time in life avoiding doing things if you are worried about doing stuff that doesn't embarrass you.

Do what needs to be done to meet your goals. eff everyone else.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That's great advice! I too am embarrassed around others but thinking about that is a good idea.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You don't need to hopping around or flinging stuff at the gym anyway. :) That's not how you'll reach your goals. I prefer old-school split training if you're training for hypertrophy and aesthetics, but you may need a good trainer to help you get started, and good trainers are hard to find. Just start somewhere...do your research on lifting programs and find one that you'll actually DO...that's more important than anything when you're starting out.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of new rules of lifting. I wasted many many years doing split training with lots of isolation exercises. I've made more progress in 1 year than I have in the past probably 10 by doing heavy compound lifts (and eating for my goals). But in the end you need to find what works for you. If you are new, a full body routine might be a good start. You want to have the fundamental lifts down. If you are just starting out a good trainer could be useful. I was always afraid of looking like an idiot or wrecking my back doing squats or deadlifts. I hired a trainer to get my form down and now I am very comfortable in the gym. You can also find some decent youtube video tutorials, but its always nice to have someone that can watch and critique your form.

One of the reasons I like the compound exercises in NROL is because I feel like I get the most bang for my buck. I rarely do direct bicep or tricep exercises, but my arms look better than ever before and my time spent in the gym is less.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    exrx.net is a great site. They have a beginners section, a few workouts. You can click on different body parts and they will give you exercises for them with videos showing how to do it.

2nd this site. I created my routine by simply going through the directory and spending time looking at what exercises worked which muscles to get things as balanced as I could via compound lifts.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    strong lfits
    starting strength
    strong curves

and don't worry about what other people think of you. You'll waste a lot of time in life avoiding doing things if you are worried about doing stuff that doesn't embarrass you.

^so much this!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am wanting some suggestions on what are some good weight lifting things to do for the whole body OR if someone knows a good sight.

I am not in terrible shape but I want to become less jiggly -- haha -- and the weight room really intimidates me.

Does anyone know some good moves for a lady (24) tryin to get in better shape or a site that has great suggestions.

I have looked at some sites and honestly the things suggested I would not do in front of people -- I dont wanna be hoping around or flinging stuff around the gym. I am super self conscious at the gym .

Any help would be great! :)

Hire a trainer to get you started, and just DO it. My profile pic is me and my trainer/friend. We are total opposites (he's a 21 yo bodybuilder, I'm a 39 yo obese mom) . I've been working with him for 6 months now, and no one would DARE say boo to me in the weight room. All I hear is compliments on how great I'm doing with his tough workouts :)
  • KettyLoyd
    Options
    Eight reasons why should women do weight lifting-
    1 more effective fat loss
    2 more muscle, more calorie expenditure
    3 curves
    4 quality sleep
    5 increased energy
    6 heart health
    7 bone health
    8 stress relief
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    strong lfits
    starting strength
    strong curves

/thread
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey, i would start off with a 3day split training. E.g.:

1.Day Legs: Squats, Hip Thrust, Leg Press, Lunges
    2.Day Back and Abs: Deadlifts, Rowing, Pull ups, Knee Raises, Sit ups
    3.Day Arms and Shoulders: Bicep Curls, Triceps extensions, fron raises, side raises, butterflys

I highly encourage everyone to give weight training a try! It just works ;)
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    What about those of us who can't afford a trainer? Or can't do a push up let alone a pull up? Starting from Square -198756

What's a Hip Thrust? What's a tricep extension? The backwards one? What's a butterfly?

I'm dead serious. :laugh:

I guess I should purchase New Rules of Lifting?!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    strong lfits
    starting strength
    strong curves

^so much this!

Another vote for this. Strong Lifts 5x5 is my top pick. It's short, simple and perfect for beginners. And they have a free app.

And if you can't afford a trainer, go to your library and check out "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe and then watch his youtube videos on form. You can teach yourself how to lift. There's also a group on here called "Eat, Train, Progress". Join that and you can post videos of yourself lifting for form critique.
  • anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

bump^^
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,611 Member
    Options
    A great start for a newbie in lifting is:

1 exercise per body part
    2 sets of each exercise
    10 reps for each set
    Get an experienced person to help with correct form

Squat
    Leg curl
    Pullup/pulldown
    Push up/bench press
    Shoulder press
    Side laterals
    Bicep curls
    Tricep extension
    Crunch
    Leg lifts

Start there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know, its really hard too start. But nowadays you will find everything in the internet, just spend a little time.

Do 3sets of 12reps for each exercise.

You can message me if you need help, i am not a professional, but i'm working out for quite some time now and alot of my friends are personal trainers, so i know at least the basics for sure! :)
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Love New Rules of Weightlifting - it's a great way to start, and of course with the internet you can find videos of anything to show you proper form.

Please don't be intimidated by the weight room. Nobody is judging you, nobody cares, everybody is there to do their own thang. The only time anybody pays attention to anybody else is when someone is killing it and I'm all, ooooo that's something new I can try!

Go to any of the sites mentioned, get the book, see how it's done. Walk into that weight room like you walk into your own kitchen - you are there for you and nobody else. Squat rack, deadlifts, free weights - all these can do SO MUCH MORE for you than what most women do.

I hate it when I'm the only chick in there. :(
  • chris62252
    chris62252 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has been online since 2010, but I just found it this week. I'm at beginner level. Exercise videos for all levels. I don't like the gym, so this is perfect for me.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump