Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Following MFP - GAINED 2lbs this week

Why? I'm not cheating, I enter everything I eat. Why is this happening? I worked out every day this week and have made it a point to not be lazy in general (as they say sometimes working out for an hour will cause you to be lazy the rest of the day). Should I stop counting my workout against my calorie goal? Help please!

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Frustrating I know... :explode:

Water weight maybe? Are you drinking enough water? Maybe a monthly thing?
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Hi there!

Sorry that you gained, that is a head scratcher. Can you make your diary visible so we can see what it looks like? Have you rechecked your goals to make sure they are factoring in your activity level and desire to lose each week?
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    I would stop eating back "all" of my burned calories. Calories burned can vary depending on your metabolic makeup.

Also make sure you aren't eating at a crash diet level 1200 calories. Your body will hold onto fat like its bff.

Sodium intake could have also been high if you ate frozen meals or lots of 100 calorie type snacks.

Drink lots of water, eat enough calories, and don't eat back all of your burned calories. Good LUck.
  • I followed 100 Percent. UNDER the amount of food I was supposed to eat. I gained weight. Today, it came off. Are you do for your period? Water wait? I am starting menopause, so my system is all screwed up and with me, I think it is water weight. Stay the course. It is beyond frustrating, but it will come off.
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Hey girl. That can be frustrating. Have you checked you settings. You normal daily activity may need to be lowered. Also I have noticed that some of the calorie amounts spent for most of the exercises is only accurate for a certain weight and if the machine is set at a certain program so if the machine has a tracker I would ajust the calories when I enter into my exercise diary. Another possibility is sodium level. If you are consuming a lot of sodium your body could be retaining water.
  • recheck your goal numbers and when you enter in your workout calories burned dont eat them. This will give you more room to play with. Set your goal to couch potato status. that gives you the lease amount of calories a day to eat. friend me and look at mine see if that helps.
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    My activity level is set for "sedentary" as I work at a computer most of the day. But I have a busy lifestyle outside of that. And I have my goal set to 1.5 lbs loss a week and I can eat 1500 cals, but when I input my exercise, I am usually way under that, by 200-300 cals. And I do input my cals for machine work according to what the machine says after I entered my weight, age, etc....I don't follow MFP as it seems to be exxagerated sometimes for cals burned. So should I not be counting my exercise at all? Just stay under the 1500 cals and forget the cals burned doing exercise?
  • Hi I'm Sharon. Disheartening, I know. I only started my diet on Monday this week, and was disappointed to gain 1lb the other day. Its nothing to worry about I'm sure. I find that if I move my scales even a slight bit, I weigh different, so you could try not moving the scales at all.
    As for adding calories burned onto our daily allowance, I dont understand this. I dont want to eat the same amount of calories I've worked hard to burn off! Then again, if you eat too few calories, the body can retain fat, so I try to compromise, and eat up to half my calories burned from exercise.
  • kimcat73
    There is a big debate on the topic of whether to eat your exercise calories. Please do a search on the forums and read the information. I, personally, choose to eat most of them and that is what works for me to lose 2 pounds a week. The basic jist is that the calorie amount set for us is already at a deficit to lose. When you exercise, you go below that amount and that can lead to starvation mode. You eat the exercise calories in order to stay at the original deficit level to lose at a healthy rate. Hope this helps!
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    OK, so I took your suggestions and went to read the "newbie" stickies and some posts from Banks. 2 thing I have learned is that A: I can change my goal to 2 lbs. a week because I have a high BMI. B: I have been under my cal goal every day almost and didn't lose a pound, and this must mean I need to be eating my exercise cals. I'm going to do this the way the site intended and the way Banks informed as a way to keep the machine running efficiently while still having a deficit. Thank you all!
  • kimcat73
    Sounds good! Good luck and keep us posted:)