Hypoallergenic elimination diet recipes

Options
littleshadowfeet
littleshadowfeet Posts: 109 Member
Help!! DH is starting the hypoallergenic elimination diet next week and I am struggling to find recipes that will fit. He is allowed quinoa, sweet potatoes, limited brown/wild rice, and any fruits/vegetables not listed here. For meat, he can have chicken and any fish except for shellfish. I'm hoping someone has had experience with this diet and may be able to help! All of the recipes I've been finding online use at least one of the things he can't have, and are not easily adjustable. :(

avoid.jpg

Replies

• RodrickF
    RodrickF Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's tough and good luck. I hope that the diet came with some recipe ideas because I can't think of much I've had over the last month where some key ingredients aren't on your list. A few years ago my wife amazed the local allergy clinic with the explosion of reactions to their various patch tests. However, we've been able to thread our way through to a very happy and varied diet and lose a lot of weight in the process. I think cutting out all wheat products was key for her. She says she feels great now without the daily headaches that accompanied that previous staple in out diet. She was never actually tested for wheat. She also can't eat eggs, any tree nuts, any pitted fruits, bananas or strawberries.

You'd think you could break it up a just a little and still find out what the culprits are. Maybe not.
  • littleshadowfeet
    Options
    he's taking chemo so that's why we have to do it this way... testing won't give accurate results. Thanks for the well wishes! I've had a bit of luck searching paleo recipes so hopefully I can use some of those with a few alterations.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have a restricted diet due to erosive gastritis, ibs and kidney stones.
    I see a lot of the same foods on your list as I am not supposed to eat.
    I find it easier to look at the foods you can eat and make up your recipes from there.
    After you get over the initial shock you soon find a way to make delicious food from your allowed list.
    Tastebuds change and you just have to do the best with what you can.
    there are sites you can put in a few ingredients and they will suggest recipes for you. You can generally sub one ingredient for another.
    FODMAPS plan may help you. It's an elimination diet plan
    Also Mc Dougalls "Starch solution" and Dr Mc Dougall's newsletter ( with recipes) is quite helpful too.
    Eat to Live by Dr Joel Furhman is another helpful resource.
    Good luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Water....... Sorry in all seriousness I assume he's been put on this by a Doctor I'd get the doctor to refer you to a dietician to help plan some meals because eliminating all that is pretty extreme and limiting
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....and pretty radical...check out baby food. You may get some ideas....I agree with the person that said, Get a list of what you can eat and go from there.

It looks like a protein source could be chicken? I don't think I saw poultry.

Is this diet one that you gradually put foods back and watch for reactions? If so you may not be so restricted after awhile. Very good luck to you.
  • littleshadowfeet
    Options
    thanks for the ideas, everyone. We're slowly coming up with some recipes and ideas! He will hopefully be able to start adding things back in after about 4 weeks.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have a list of things that we each react badly to so I'm constantly making adjustments to recipes. When they did the tine tests on me, my arm had bumps on almost everything.

Basically, instead of seeing something I can't eat in a recipe and rejecting it, I'll just think what I could use. Among others we lost members of the onion family, including garlic, etc. So, I'll take a recipe that calls for onions and substitute celery. Usually, whatever we end up with tastes pretty good.

Google "hypoallergenic foods" to find some lists of things he probably can eat like: http://www.healwithfood.org/articles/what-are-hypoallergenic-foods.php

Good luck to you and good health to your honey!
  • littleshadowfeet
    Options
    here's the list of things he's allowed! I made a quinoa salad tonight with avocado, spinach and a simple dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and fresh basil. He approves, so maybe I'll be able to do this afterall!

allowed.jpg
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Instead of concentrating on what he cannot have, I would look at combining foods he CAN have.

I'm thinking of dishes such as squash baked in the oven and drizzled with a little maple syrup and slightly crushed almonds added to the top for crunch.

Kale sprinkled with a little olive oil and baked in the oven at 400 degrees until crunchy. Makes a great substitute for potato chips. My kids actually will eat kale chips before potato chips.

A little coconut milk with avocado and the fruit makes for a nice sorbet smoothie in the blender. (Avocado will give him the essential fatty acids he needs.)

I hope your hubby gets better and soon. Chemo sucks. I had a sister in law that went on chemo because of severe food allergies. She now has a completely modified diet. It wasn't fun getting there. Now it's just a walk in the park for her!
  • TatianaSoe
    TatianaSoe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, here are a few ideas that I would do:

Take some of the fruit (berries, mango, apricots, etc) he can eat and some coconut milk and make a smoothie.

A salad with the lettuce, dandelion greens, sprouts, carrots, cucumber, sunflower seeds and any other salad veggie that is ok. Toss with a bit of lemon juice, olive oil, and some fresh herbs.

Cook some salmon on the stove with a bit of olive oil, add a tad of lemon juice and some herbs and spices. Serve with brown rice or some baked sweet potato/carrot mix. For the sweet potato and carrot mix, toss with a bit of olive oil, garlic, onion and maybe even some maple syrup.

A chicken stew with broth (may have to make your own), winter squash, carrots, parsnips, garlic, onion, and maybe some wild rice.

Good luck :)
  • glrblondie
    glrblondie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • littleshadowfeet
    Options
    Week one is almost over... we've done quinoa salad and an avocado chicken salad for lunch... dinners have included curried sweet potato and chicken with coconut milk, maple peach chicken, baked haddock with fresh dill, and lemon basil grilled chicken... it's not easy, but we're making it work! :smile:
  • birdieissweet
    birdieissweet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need recipes for myself. I am diabetic, have a cute gastritis, lupus and just got over having cancer for the third time. Which this tinned was thyroid. Removed all of it and did treatments . No cancer at this time but now I gave acute gastritis and need help finding recipes for all. Help please if possible. Thank you
  • ToniaMK74
    ToniaMK74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    J.J. Virgin has great recipes that are sugar, gluten, soy, egg, dairy, corn and peanut free! I have read her books. Her recipes might be online?
  • birdieissweet
    birdieissweet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am willing to try anything at this point. Thank you for reply. This was my first.i don't know what I'm doing but I'm going to try.thanks again.