Athletic fat guys VS couch potato fat guys

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
Recently for fun I had responded to the "guess the posters weight above you forum" and I am shocked no one has guessed my weight or even come close to it. In fact people have assumed I was as high as 120 pounds below my true weight and as close to 30 pounds below my true weight.

I am not tooting my own horn but I am honestly curious if that being involved in athletics growing up into high school and always have attended a gym, am I not as fat as I perceive myself to be? In no way am I justifying that I am happy with my weight, because I am not and I am trying harder then ever to lose it. But I think there is a difference between an athletic fat guy (what I consider my self to be) in comparison to a couch potato fat guy who is my same weight but has never lifted a weight in his life.

If anyone's curious I am 5'8" 285 lbs right now (and in my pic). Thoughts??

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Recently for fun I had responded to the "guess the posters weight above you forum" and I am shocked no one has guessed my weight or even come close to it. In fact people have assumed I was as high as 120 pounds below my true weight and as close to 30 pounds below my true weight.

I am not tooting my own horn but I am honestly curious if that being involved in athletics growing up into high school and always have attended a gym, am I not as fat as I perceive myself to be? In no way am I justifying that I am happy with my weight, because I am not and I am trying harder then ever to lose it. But I think there is a difference between an athletic fat guy (what I consider my self to be) in comparison to a couch potato fat guy who is my same weight but has never lifted a weight in his life.

If anyone's curious I am 5'8" 285 lbs right now (and in my pic). Thoughts??

id say about 350llbs in your pic
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I'm shorter by an inch and currently at about 200lbs right now. I'm kinda fat right now, but people still think I'm around 170-180lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    People are usually off by about 60lbs+ for me because of the way I am built. People aren't good at determining muscle weight.
  • mhlew
    Options
    imagejpg1_zps465ae364.jpg

Pic taken yesterday. Have a ton of work to do still
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm 155lbs, people are always shocked by that number and think I'm way less. All depends how you carry the weight, body's come in all shapes and sizes. I would be terrible at trying to guess somebody else's weight.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    It's tough to guess weight, and people on MFP tend to underestimate weight on that sort of thing because they're trying to be nice (I guess).
  • mhlew
    Options
    Haha I did take the comments with a grain of salt. But just curious on people's thoughts. I do think I carry my weight better then a lot of people my same weight due to weightlifting and regular exercise
  • mhlew
    Options
    Me Biggs very true. Good feedback
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You look around 250-260 to me taking your height into account.
  • hoecradle
    hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    From the photo it looks like you have a large frame. You look to carry the weight better than most short people do.