Any fellow women with endometriosis trying to loose weight?

Options
Hi. Just forewarning everyone (because there is usually one person who complains) that yes, this is a thread about women’s health issues and menstrual cycles. If you have an issue with that, now is the time to exit out. I recently began my fitness journey and have been doing fairly well. I am making better choices with food and have exercised more than I have in my entire life. However, I am currently having my first period since beginning my journey and it is making it miserable. I remember gym teachers yelling at us that ‘exercise helps cramps’. I attempted to give that a try and hop on my bike although I was in pain and really feeling uncomfortable. I did my usual 30 minutes ride. By the time I was done I was in agonizing pain. I took a pain pill and curled up in bed, crying in pain. I have tried to seek medical help. My first doctor ignored my symptoms for eight years and told me to get over it. My second doctor operated and his aftercare plan was for me to get pregnant. I was 19 at the time and not ready. He pushed the idea for six months and I finally stopped seeing him as he was unwilling to provide any other treatment. He told me that if I was not wanting to get pregnant that I just needed to go to therapy to learn to emotionally cope with the pain. Obviously I need to get a new doctor. I was wondering if any of the ladies out there have a good doctor who you share your weight loss goals with and if your doctor offers you any advice on how to maintain your goals of diet and exercise, maybe with some modifications. I usually have some endo related pain throughout the month, but pretty much become useless right before and throughout my period. I was wondering how you modify your routines (including not eating everything you see) yet still keep on a good path while coping with endo pain.

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I can't believe a Dr would push getting pregnant on someone--esp at 19. Pregnancy only lasts 9 months anyways so that's not a permanent solution sqq unless you just decide to get knocked up every year one after the other. I do not have endometriosis or any sort of issues at all. In fact I swear I've never had a cramp since I had my first period at 12 (i really havnt a clue what they feel like) and mine only last two days. I do have a friend with endo and I will check in with her and see what she might offer. Exercise certainly can help cramping or any type of pain for that matter because of endorphins. If you enjoy long hot baths do that as well. Hot water bottles, tea (_if you like that) are all nice ideas. I'll have more once I ask my friend.
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    I am 46 and never had children and did get told because of that my PCOS and endo that it is likely worse cos of never being pregnant. I had a D&C (twice - ten years apart) to help with that. It definitely improved things after the first D&C the second one helped too but the first one had more impact. I have also had a endometrial ablation (altho that was unsuccessful) I would definitely recommend sending a gyne and possibly a endocrinologist as well.

As to weight loss I have had success (lost 150+ pounds) but it has been very slow. I still have about another 50-60 pounds to go. Food wise I just try and eat well and I feel exercise really plays a part as well.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I spend a majority of my days with a heating pad on high against my lower back and a heating laptop on my upper thighs/lower abdomen area---every. single. day.

Prior to a doctors (not even MY doctor) discovery/offering of my symptoms POSSIBLY being "Endometriosis", I was in such severe pain daily that I'd miss a lot of school, eventually giving up and dropping out at 16. I poisoned myself and burned holes in my liver by taking far too much acetaminophen "Tylenol" either the Severe, 8 hour Relief or Extra Strength. And by "too much" I mean, I'd finish a 500 count bottle in less than 60 days, sometimes less than 45 days.

My insurance doesn't cover an Ablation. :/

To make matters even MORE fun. I have a Progesterone Allergy.

SO, that means TWO things...

The "Birth Control Method for Endo Tolerance" doesn't work for me

AND, because I have an allergy to the hormone in BC, I get pregnant.

AND surprise, surprise, Pregnancy does NOT "cure" Endometriosis. Also, I bled every single month during my gestation.

I don't just "bleed" during my period, I can't leave the house. Menorrhagia is a B***H!

Also, uterine fibroids. :'(

FML
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    I spend a majority of my days with a heating pad on high against my lower back and a heating laptop on my upper thighs/lower abdomen area---every. single. day.

Prior to a doctors (not even MY doctor) discovery/offering of my symptoms POSSIBLY being "Endometriosis", I was in such severe pain daily that I'd miss a lot of school, eventually giving up and dropping out at 16. I poisoned myself and burned holes in my liver by taking far too much acetaminophen "Tylenol" either the Severe, 8 hour Relief or Extra Strength. And by "too much" I mean, I'd finish a 500 count bottle in less than 60 days, sometimes less than 45 days.

AND surprise, surprise, Pregnancy does NOT "cure" Endometriosis. Also, I bled every single month during my gestation.

I don't just "bleed" during my period, I can't leave the house. Menorrhagia is a B***H!

FML
    From 7th-11th grade I was missing one or more weeks of school a month due to endo. I'm also familiar with taking dangerous amounts of Tylenol to try to ease the pain. I also had so much tissue growth on my bladder that I would often go days without being able to urinate. My surgery two years ago helped ease that issue a little. It also helped me get to the point where non-period days were at least tolerable. After surgery they put me on Lupron Depo shots. The three shots have reduced the length of my periods from 10+ days to seven. I suppose that is ok, but still leaves me with debilitating pain for a quarter of the month. I actually have the laptop on my belly at the moment. I make my husband rub my back which helps a little. It sucks that this disease is so common, yet doctors are ignorant as to how to diagnose and treat it. Even if they decide to treat it there really are no good treatment options. I am pursuing an advanced degree and do not want to have children until I am finished. I feel lost because I want to have children down the road but sometimes I am in so much pain that I feel like the only option to mange it is to have a hysterectomy.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had Adenomyosis which is similar to Endo. My gyno was completely supportive of my weight loss goals and maintaining a weight loss. He would help me out and give me pain meds to deal. But that time of the month I was completely useless. I'd bleed so much and so long that I couldn't move. There's not much else you can do for the pain I don't think. I ended up have a hysterectomy which cures Adeno but not Endo. Sorry not much help LOL
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    Has your doctor tried putting you on Depo Lupron?
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options

FML
    From 7th-11th grade I was missing one or more weeks of school a month due to endo. I'm also familiar with taking dangerous amounts of Tylenol to try to ease the pain. I also had so much tissue growth on my bladder that I would often go days without being able to urinate. My surgery two years ago helped ease that issue a little. It also helped me get to the point where non-period days were at least tolerable. After surgery they put me on Lupron Depo shots. The three shots have reduced the length of my periods from 10+ days to seven. I suppose that is ok, but still leaves me with debilitating pain for a quarter of the month. I actually have the laptop on my belly at the moment. I make my husband rub my back which helps a little. It sucks that this disease is so common, yet doctors are ignorant as to how to diagnose and treat it. Even if they decide to treat it there really are no good treatment options. I am pursuing an advanced degree and do not want to have children until I am finished. I feel lost because I want to have children down the road but sometimes I am in so much pain that I feel like the only option to mange it is to have a hysterectomy.

I'm a member of a great monthly Support Group for Sufferers of Endo & their Supporters, we all spit-ball doctors, tips, diets, exercises, love, kindness, etc. Our Support Group was started and funded by the company that makes Lupron and Riverside Medical Clinics, as a "beta group". (http://www.meetup.com/Riverside-Endometriosis-Family-Support-Group/)

We're also advocates for hospitals, clinics, med-schools, etc and bring recognition and awareness about the importance of studying Endo.

We went to the ASRM Conference in San Diego in 2012 and OMG, it was a total blessing for me.

Also, I have two FANTASTIC books on Endo, I'll post a pic of them on my Instagram account so you can see them and maybe get them. There's some good used ones on Amazon. I got mine from Mary Lou, the founder of the Endometriosis Association personally. She autographed them for me <3

Just know that a hysterectomy is the end-all-be-all answer to "curing" Endo. Be strong.

Also, my Instagram link is on my profile :D
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    Yes, I tried it. It shortened my periods but made most other aspects of my life a living nightmare. I have heard some people have great reactions and some people really hate it. I was on the hate it side :/
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options

FML

I'm a member of a great monthly Support Group for Sufferers of Endo & their Supporters, we all spit-ball doctors, tips, diets, exercises, love, kindness, etc. Our Support Group was started and funded by the company that makes Lupron and Riverside Medical Clinics, as a "beta group". (http://www.meetup.com/Riverside-Endometriosis-Family-Support-Group/)

We're also advocates for hospitals, clinics, med-schools, etc and bring recognition and awareness about the importance of studying Endo.

We went to the ASRM Conference in San Diego in 2012 and OMG, it was a total blessing for me.

Also, I have two FANTASTIC books on Endo, I'll post a pic of them on my Instagram account so you can see them and maybe get them. There's some good used ones on Amazon. I got mine from Mary Lou, the founder of the Endometriosis Association personally. She autographed them for me <3

Just know that a hysterectomy is the end-all-be-all answer to "curing" Endo. Be strong.

I will have to look for the picture on your instagram. I would like to read it and hopefully gain some strength in being assertive with my future doctor. I really need to be my own advocate and press the doctor into developing a treatment plan that will work for me. I want to also say thank you to all of the ladies that have responded. I have been having a really hard time coping today and you all gave me a lot of hope and support. Thank you so very much.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    Yes, I tried it. It shortened my periods but made most other aspects of my life a living nightmare. I have heard some people have great reactions and some people really hate it. I was on the hate it side :/

I hear ya. My reaction was pretty mild to it. Completely stopped my period then made me swell up like a balloon. I was only on it for a year.

www.hystersisters.com has some great info for endo as well as hysterectomies for endo.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options

FML

I MEANT to say that a hysterectomy is NOT the end-all-be-all "cure" to Endometriosis. Damn slippery fingernails and keys!!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

I MEANT to say that a hysterectomy is NOT the end-all-be-all "cure" to Endometriosis. Damn slippery fingernails and keys!!

Yeah it's not even a "cure" just another way of managing it. I've known people to have a hysterectomy and then have endometrial tissue pop up in other parts of their bodies and still causing havoc. :noway:
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    Booooooo :( I have been looking forward to a hysterectomy thinking it would be the ultimate answer :(
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Now first I'd like to say I've never been diagnosed with anything worse than just an erratic, heavy, painful period which continued into my 20s and lasted for 5 fricking days. That being said is it possible that the depo shot could help some people at least with the symptoms? My doctor put me on that in my early 20's to treat my problems his theory being that if normal birth control couldn't control my periods, I just ended up having it twice for some god awful reason, then maybe putting me on a form that stops the cycle from occurring would be a solution. Remember I'm not as bad as all of you are, I still made it to school (with the fun pain pills) and work when I was older (with a 2 hour cycle of various pain meds,) but maybe this could help?
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    Booooooo :( I have been looking forward to a hysterectomy thinking it would be the ultimate answer :(

It helps. I'm not saying it doesn't. But it can also cause other problems too that have nothing to do with the Endo. In my case I've had severe adhesions that span from right under my rib cage to the top of my hips, all the way across. I'm in chronic pain and now have arthritis in my left hip. At one point the scar tissue started binding my intestines together causing all sorts of fun symptoms, I had to have another surgery to get rid of it and it could happen again.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Had a full abdominal hysterectomy 2 wks ago.
    Suffer from both endometresis&Pcos but after
    researching it and joining another community,
    even the surgery and removing the reproductive
    organs won't stop either condition. I needed
    the surgery to remove a nearly 6lb firoid tumor.
    I just asked for all the rest to be done so I might
    find a safer future against any new tumors.
    Mine was benign, as those type generally are.

If you are experiencing discomfort that is not
    letting up, get your doc to ultrasound you. Just
    to be sure there are no surprises inside.
    Good luck .. hope you can find comfort.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Endometrium CANNOT be seen with an ultrasound. The sacks vary in color; the majority being clear sacks. Fibroids can be. But Endometriosis cannot be confirmed with an ultrasound. If your Gyno suspects Endo, a Laparoscopy will probably be your next step. Fibroids would probably lead to a Laparotomy.