Any 5'0 starting at 165 pounds?

Options
Hi

Any 5'0 starting at 165 pounds and met with success? My target weight is 140lbs. How long did it take you? And what was your diet like? Can I do it by walking alone?

It would really help to know your stories that would keep me motivated as I start on my fitness journey ..again!!

Replies

• CoyotesGirl1976
    CoyotesGirl1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not quite, but Im 5'2" and started at 175. I've been losing since February 2014, with all manner of missed gym days and diet slip-ups. If you're going to just be walking and not changing anything else, it could take quite a while. The main things I changed with my diet are less processed food and smaller portions. I still eat out, but I make better choices. I still even have the occasional diet soda or fruit flavored fizzy water. I started with walking, graduated to a Couch to 5k program and I've begun running 10k on the weekend. Build slowly, keep going, you've got this. I would love to show you my transformation, but I can't figure out how to put a photo in here. :sad:
  • DonnaDancel
    Options
    Thanks.. Me too. 5'2 starting 175.. Recently went through menopause and it's been tough..I love reading about success!
  • kimpossible262
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5''3" and started at 153, and am now down to 148. My goal weight is 125. I'm doing P90X3. I felt it was important to build some muscle, which helps boost metabolism and burn fat more than cardio alone. To answer your question about walking, the answer is yes, if you were to walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, and if you switched to whole, non-processed foods, you would see changes. Not sure what your diet and exercise habits are right now, but honestly, making lots of small changes and sticking with them will make a difference. Good luck in your journey, and keep me posted! Also, I'm here if you have any other questions. I used to be in great shape, but a bottle of wine a night packed on 20 pounds in 6 months. I used to run marathons, and now I can barely do 3 miles without getting so winded I almost pass out. But I keep chipping away at it doing P90x3 workouts, using the elliptical, and doing work with weights about 5 times a week. I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks and an inch off my waist, chest and hips already! You can do this!!! :)
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and once went from 165 to 140. It took me about a year because I generally lose weight slowly but it's very possible! I have since then gained the weight back (oops) and am trying again!

Walking is a great workout but it does take a little longer to get a significant calorie burn. Try to aim for 60 minutes rather than 30 per day if you're just walking. Also, lifting weights is great!

Good luck :)
  • Ahmaknits
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'0 and started at 190. I started in mid May and have lost 20 pounds so far. I'm really bad at the exercise part, but I have been counting calories and drinking water. I do need to get motivated on exercising, walking or something. Good luck with your lifestyle revamp!
  • sadhanagopal
    sadhanagopal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! It makes me feel good to know that I am not the only one. I am making changes to my diet one day at a time. My biggest pitfalls are my emotional eating issues and very, very carb heavy Indian diet. I also do not like to eat fruits. I am trying to break old habits and create new ones.

Have started doing Lesline Sansone 3 mile though it does get a little monotonous at times.

What do you do when the weather is not good to workout, like when its raining or too cold?
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What do you do when the weather is not good to workout, like when its raining or too cold?

I prefer working out in the comfort of my home. You can add some bodyweight exercises like squats, pushups, lunges in addition to walking. Youtube is a goldmine for free workout videos.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and although I started much higher, I passed 165 lbs not that long ago. I'm losing at a rate of a pound and a half a week on average. The kind of exercise doesn't matter so much as the fact that you're creating a calorie deficit. In the past, I've exercised, gone to the gym, blah blah blah, but without tracking what I eat, I wouldn't lose weight.

Is it possible to eat less of the bread and rice (not going low carb or anything, just less) and increase the veggies in your average meal? That is an easy way to cut down on calories while still feeling full.

If you haven't done so already, get yourself a food scale and check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck!
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"0" (and a half an inch, as I like to always add... haha) and started out at the end of January 2014, bought a scale a week later and found I was 158 lbs!!! (Biggest I've EVER been in my life) My weight has been fluctuating a lot ever since... I saw a loss when I stuck to a 1200 calorie diet during the weekdays and made sure to put in about 20-30 min YouTube work-out too from then to the end of March. I think I got down to about 152. Then I started a new job and moved-in with my boyfriend and had a wedding I was in the bridal party (so lots of parties in April and May leading up to the big day) and I gained it all back from end of March to May (I also wasn't tracking). Now I just seem to be maintaining at about 156... I am hoping that next summer I can be down to 125ish so I can finally wear a bathing suit that I'm proud to wear at the beach in Chicago (where I live).

My issues are socializing and emotional eating. I am a huge foodie and I love to eat. Living in Chicago is hard since there are sooo many good eats and everyone wants to go out all the time and eat. I can't say no to that! So I just need to learn moderation and ways to modify my orders to keep myself in check. I also realized that if I want to eat, I need to step up my work-outs too. My 20-30 minute low-intensity workouts are good for if I am eating just 1400 calories a day; but I find sometimes I wind up eating almost 2000 calories or more a day. To compensate, I joined a gym where I take the 60 minute classes and switch up between BodyWorks (weight endurance class mixed with some cardio sometimes or tabata), Step Aerobics, & Zumba.

My biggest suggestions are to keep with the work-outs and try to maintain as close to the MFP/TDEE recommended calories a day. I noticed you mentioned you are doing Leslie Sansone walking DVD, I recommend you also check out JessicaSmithTV (she's got some good walking videos). Start adding some toning/strength work-outs too.

We can do this!!!
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft.. though I didnt start that heavy but I am very small framed and it used to look like a lot on me.. What helped me is just increasing my activity and pushing myself.. I walk to work which is 2 kms away so I get about 4km walk 5 days a week. also I started to giv 20-30 mins everyday for exefcising. I was so unfit very basic fitnessblender exercises used to drive me to tears and sore. From there I have made it to Jillian Michaels and Shaun T. Which is a big success for me. I am more energetic and stronger than before.

one more problem I share with u is my carb rich Indian diet. What I did is, I decreased my intake of rice. I cannot live without rice so I made it a point to have not more than 1-1.5 cups a day. I will distribute it like 1 cup rice and lot of veggies and dal and may be some chicken and egg for lunch.. and similar with 0.5 cup rice and 1 very thin roti for dinner.. slowly my body adjusted.

Stay strong, you can do it.. :) We are all there to help you out.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    140 pounds at 5'0" seems really high to me...isn't that still clinically obese (or close to it) for that height?
  • skalkbrenn
    skalkbrenn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body frame and fat vs. muscle mass as well. I am 5ft but am a medium body frame which means I can weigh up to 130 and not be considered overweight. This will give a better estimation. :-) http://bmicalculatorforfemales.com/default.aspx
  • StrongHealthyPowerful
    Options
    140 pounds at 5'0" seems really high to me...isn't that still clinically obese (or close to it) for that height?

Technically 140lbs for a 5’0” person is still in the “overweight” section of the BMI chart (not the obese section), but BMI is a pretty imperfect measure to be honest. It doesn’t take into consideration what your body composition is, so I don’t really know if it’s the best indicator of a “healthy” weight or not.

All of that aside, I know I do much better when I set smaller goals for myself. I just reached my goal weight a couple days ago, but am debating setting it for 5lbs lower now that I’m here. We’ll see. I say, find the place where you feel healthy and strong.
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft and started at 182. Now 131 and aiming for 126 at which point I'll review. Taken a couple of years - progress has not been linear and I had a couple of lengthy 'maintenance' breaks when I had major surgery. Exercise not essential for weight loss but has many benefits - walking is good!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rides4sanity/view/time-to-share-the-belly-photo-ughhh-616669

This is a blog I wrote about my loss and struggles... I'm am down to 110 now, but the story is the same and I wore a bikini to the beach sagging skin and all...

Good luck!
  • sadhanagopal
    sadhanagopal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It isnt clinically obese but is still overweight. But I feel if I set my sights any lower than that, I will definitely lose motivation to even get started. I am in this for the long haul and am in no hurry. :)
  • GrMaumPeggy
    Options
    I am 5 foot and started at 175 pounds. Last Sunday was my hubby's August birthdays get together at this nice Italian restaurant in Santa Cruz, California. Not the best deal for my weight loss so basically started this week at 174. Just working nice in slow on eating small healthy meals and drinking lots of water. Good luck evrryone. My goal is to reach <130 lbs. I will turn 64 yrs on Oct. 3.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started out at 174. I'm now around 144 and trying to get to 135 if possible!

I mostly started by changing the way I eat and exercising at least 3-4 days a week and lifting. I think that lifting has really helped a lot!! I lost about 30 pounds in about 3 months but the last 2 months have been a yoyo for me of going up 5 and losing 5 and so on.

The biggest thing is just consistency, you can have a really good day but what creates weightloss is multiple good days in a row! I find that it is so much easier to stay on track if I allow myself a little cheat everyday rather than saving all my goodies for one day because then it normally turns into multiple days!!! Carb heavy diets are really hard and my previous diet was probably 70% carbs 25% protein and 5% fruit and veg (seriously!!) but what i have found helps is to just modify food that I love by replacing the carbs with a salad! Sounds crazy but it has worked! So instead of eating tacos on a flour tortilla i have a taco salad! Instead of having cheeseburgers and fries I have a lettuce wrapped burger (still with bacon!) and parmesean green beans instead of fries!! For a Indian diet im sure you could replace a lot of the rice and breads with salads and cut the calories a ton!!
  • deana727
    deana727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 0" too. I started logging on MFP at 162 lbs a couple months ago, and have been losing at about a pound a week. I am exercising daily, and like you my initial goal was also 140. But I am happier and more confident than expected with the progress, so to challenge myself I set my goal to 120. I don't expect to reach it in a few months but maybe in a year. No matter what, I know I'll be more fit.

I've been told I was overweight all my life and can't remember weighing less than 140 as an adult, or for the past 10 years less than 150. I stopped weighing myself when I hit 175 but knew needed to I start eating better, less fast food, less beer. That was a couple of years ago. I wish I had tried MFP then, but I was making slow progress on my own and forming good habits.

You mentioned the carb heavy diet, I can relate! I know I cannot live without rice, but gradually over a few years, my body has adjusted to the right portions. I say a few years because I visited an old favorite teriyaki place I hadn't been to in so long. They use the same size bento box filled with more than 2 cups of rice and covered with a lean protein and vegetables. I used to eat it all, every last grain of rice. This time I ate until I was full, and the leftovers lasted for 3 more meals. What a surprise! I could never cut out carbs completely, especially rice, because the deprivation only makes my stomach growl louder. But consistency, discipline and a gradual approach really helped. I bought a special rice serving spoon so that I was never guessing the portion. If I finished a plate and wanted more, I had more, but sensibly.

There are so many great workouts online now, I agree they get monotonous so do mix it up. And if you have done 3-mile a few times, by all means you are ready for the 4 and 5 :) Your body can always do more than you think. Be patient with yourself, just don't give up!
  • cali8_love
    cali8_love Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    IM 5'0 IM try to get back at 165bls IM 187.4 pounds right now :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!