Advice about eating at a Thai restaurant?

Options
So for a celebration of moving in with my roommates in my first apartment, we all want to go out to eat (naturally..)

But the place that majority of us are choosing is this Thai restaurant (Exotic Thai) which I absolutely love but now that i'm on a diet I don't want to mess this up. Ever since I restricted myself from even a single cheat day, my weight has been dropping steadily. I want to make this right. But I also do want to go out and celebrate.

I tried searching up the nutritional info of the restaurant but there seems to be none. I know asian food can be extremely high in sodium but as long as I drink a lot of water and have less sodium earlier in the day that wont be a huge issue. But now I don't know what i'm eating I don't know if I should log and no matter what they serve me I cannot be accurate in how much i'm actually eating. (Also, I always order the Chicken Pad Thai and I'm quite picky with my food so I don't know if there is anything else on the menu I would prefer over that).

Should I go? What do you suggest I do if I do go?

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    GO. Deprivation isn't good for you! Enjoy your time and celebrate with your friends. You're in no hurry to lose the weight, and the worst that can happen is you gain a bit back. So what? You can lose it again! Some things are worth it.

Do your best to track what you can if the nutritional information and menu isn't available online. Otherwise just try to guess and quick add the calories if you can. Don't stress it, live a little :)
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So for a celebration of moving in with my roommates in my first apartment, we all want to go out to eat (naturally..)

But the place that majority of us are choosing is this Thai restaurant (Exotic Thai) which I absolutely love but now that i'm on a diet I don't want to mess this up. Ever since I restricted myself from even a single cheat day, my weight has been dropping steadily. I want to make this right. But I also do want to go out and celebrate.

I tried searching up the nutritional info of the restaurant but there seems to be none. I know asian food can be extremely high in sodium but as long as I drink a lot of water and have less sodium earlier in the day that wont be a huge issue. But now I don't know what i'm eating I don't know if I should log and no matter what they serve me I cannot be accurate in how much i'm actually eating. (Also, I always order the Chicken Pad Thai and I'm quite picky with my food so I don't know if there is anything else on the menu I would prefer over that).

Should I go? What do you suggest I do if I do go?

Look at the menu, order what you fancy, if it has a lot of calories it will not matter in the long run, don't become a dull dieter, there is nothing more soul destroying that spending time with someone who takes the joy out of the room, obsession is not good for you
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You could try googling a recipe for Chicken Pad Thai and entering into the recipe finder here just to get an idea of where you will be. It will probably be low but its better than nothing. You'll need to look at portions on the recipe because the restaurant will likely give you more. You could also try boxing part of it as soon as it's delivered and go with the portion control route.

Watching what you eat doesn't mean you don't get to celebrate - it just means you need to be smart about it!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of treating special occasions like special occasions and letting my eating habits play second fiddle to the celebration; but I also understand trying to have a great time and enjoy tasty food while at the same time minimizing damage to a daily goal.

I am a big fan of your basic sweet basil chicken (but very spicy), and that's a bit more reasonable calorie-wise than some of the (very tasty) curries in coconut milk. Many of the noodle dishes (like pad thai) are likely more calorific than the meat + veg entrees. If you see something you like from the noodle-less entrees, and can minimize the rice you eat it with, you can have a great meal without going ridiculously over your calorie goal. On the other hand, enjoying some fresh spring rolls, fried Thai rolls, Tom Yum Gang soup and a mountain of rice with basil chicken (and a little side of pad thai or similar), plus a bunch of Chang's or Sinha's to wash it all down -- well that's a fun night and one night really won't set you back too much.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I say eat boiled chicken and salad before you go and then stick to having a small thail beef salad. Sorry to be a party pooper...but you are on a mission and if you let your guard down just this once....
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Enjoy whatever you want since you have reduced how often you go out to eat anyway. Thai food is amazing, don't waste the opportunity. :love:

I would maybe account for 1000 calories for a pad thai dish, assuming it's big.

https://www.pfchangs.com/images/Nutritional Info/pfc_pilot_nutrition.html
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    order what you want, losing weight/eating healthier is about finding balance, not depriving yourself of foods you enjoy, enjoy it, its only one meal <3 you deserve it for your hard work
  • chopsuey99
    chopsuey99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eating out and celebrating with friends should be a part of everyone's lifestyle---as much a part of healthy living as all the other good choices one makes for their health and well-being!

I'd go and order carefully, but I wouldn't order the pad thai unless I was going to share with friends and eat family style and limit myself to a taste. Avoid the simple carb-heavy dishes: fried rice and noodle dishes. Ordering something like a mixed vegetable entree would be a nutritious, delicious meal. And if you really want the rice to go with it, get brown rice and portion out a serving, as they usually give too much.

Another thought is that Thai food has such great flavors, you can eat light and still feel satisfied, like with a classic Thai hot and sour soup/Tom yum soup.
    A couple other options--
    Protein-heavy, more satisfying dishes:
    Larb. (Ground meat with a lot of spices usually with some lettuce)
    Crying tiger salad.

Gai yaang/Roast chicken. (hold the sticky rice!)
    Chicken satay.

More fat:
    Tom ka. (Coconut-based soup)
    Swimming rama (with peanut sauce)

Then I'd totally treat myself to a coconut ice cream or fresh mango for dessert!

You can be mindful, still have fun, and have a great meal with your friends.

Figuring out the calories of some of the dishes beforehand might set your mind further at ease so you can just relax and not worry too much about what to order/eat. And maintain vigilance! It's a slippery slope! And have fun. ;D