Short term goals vs. long term goals - shorter is better...

Options
Hi all,

Just wanted to share a way which is working for me.

In my 20s and early 30s I was between 83 and 95 kg (182-209), with 95 feeling like it was crazy high. I played a lot of sports and was generally fit.

Then I moved to England, got a new job which meant that regular eating was out the window and drive-throughs or a curry became the norm. In four years I gained 18 kg (40 lbs) as I stopped playing team sports etc.

I then moved countries again and got a job which was maybe 80 hours a week at a pro sports club and gained another 10 kg (20 lbs) in three years.

Occasionally during these years I tried to get back to 85 kg (188) and I'd start well and then it would fizzle out.

My BIG GOAL is still 85 kg, but I've taken a different approach. I've taught S.M.A.R.T goal setting for years and never applied it to myself. This is: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-targeted (S.M.A.R.T ) goals.

Now I am, and it is working really, really well. I take short intervals and set realistic goals for weight loss during this period.

First of all this makes sure I don't get sidetracked. If I'm going to lose 25 kg (60 lbs) it will take a long time. If my goal is to be at 85 kg in May 2015 I can easily take a week off here and there. And one week becomes two weeks, which becomes...

Instead I've set short term goals. From July 17 to August 15 (where I had a trip with a national basketball team) the goal was to lose 1 kg (2,2 lbs) a week. With the goal coming up real fast there was no time to relax. I had to stay with it. I recorded my daily progress in a graph which included the end goal and date. I hit the goal of 105.5 kg (232) three days before the deadline, but on the day itself I was 0.2 kg over (0.4 lbs). I still achieved a lot and wasn't too unhappy.

Next I had a weekend where I forced myself to NOT workout (to not get injured) and eat what I wanted. I needed to give my mind and body a rest before setting the next goal. I planned to gain half a kilo (1,1 lbs) during this weekend.

From august 18 the goal is to lose 1 kg (2.2 lbs) a week until September 1st, from 106,2 to 104. This time frame is very short, so i have to stick with it. Currently I'm at 104,8 but in a dehydrated state after a run.

I'm already looking at the next goal. It could be October 11 where my team is playing in the biggest basketball event in the history of my country. That would make it a 6 week goal, though, and I think that's too long. I'll find something in mid October to strive for.

Also, I'm remembering that goals should be realistic. It's not realistic to keep losing 1 kg (2,2 lbs) a week until I'm at the BIG-GOAL of 85 kg. Once I hit 95 kg (209) I'll readjust the weekly goal to 0,75 kg a week (1,6 lbs) and once I hit 90 kg (198) I'll go for half a kg (1.1 lbs) a week.

So...

Specific: Lose 1-0.5 kg a week.
Measurable: I step on the scale every day and compare the result with the weight I need to hit that day to hit my goal.
Achievable: In the short time frame I can see myself reaching the goal if I work hard - so I do.
Realistic: I reduce the weekly target as I lose weight as it becomes harder to lose as you slim down.
Time-targeted: Short time frames keep me on target. The target is only 2-4 weeks in front of me.

Anyway, I hope some of you can apply this to yourselves.

Happy losing ;-)

Replies

• zazazik
    zazazik Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise - you are right, every time I always set long term goal - lose X amount before Xmas, or before summer - they were realistic but very long term - I will try the SMART method now, it makes a lot of sense, thank you
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yep, I also agree with this. I have been on my journey for a long time and setting long term goals hasn't worked, However, I now set monthly goals and have been on point, despite the few hiccups and bumps along the way! Great advise!!
  • mads_o86
    mads_o86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • violetpereira
    violetpereira Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I will look into setting up smaller goals to meet my target :) Cheers :smile:
  • fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice! I play a bit of a game with myself called "5 Weeks/One Dress Size" which has allowed me to drop a dress size and a half this summer (since I'm not quite finished the second cycle). It is very motivating.
  • mads_o86
    Options
    That's another great way of doing it. I play the "which old clothes do I fit into today" game myself :-D
  • mads_o86
    Options
    Just wanted to follow up on this.

I've had a few frustrating weeks where my weight first went down rapidly then recovered and pretty much stabilized at the same level. My September 1st weight was two pounds higher than my August 23rd weight.

But within the last five days I've lost more than four pounds and I'm going to reach my September 8th goal date - and I'm ahead of the curve my end-of-September goal. I guess my body just needed some time to adjust or something.

Anyway, it was frustrating for a while but persistence pays off I guess.
  • fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to follow up on this.

I've had a few frustrating weeks where my weight first went down rapidly then recovered and pretty much stabilized at the same level. My September 1st weight was two pounds higher than my August 23rd weight.

But within the last five days I've lost more than four pounds and I'm going to reach my September 8th goal date - and I'm ahead of the curve my end-of-September goal. I guess my body just needed some time to adjust or something.

Anyway, it was frustrating for a while but persistence pays off I guess.

I find that too. I do what I do and some weeks show little to no loss and others are impressive even if my eating and activity remains constant. It's good to remember this during those rather maddening times when it seems like nothing good is happening.