Just found this site - looks great!

Options
Hi,

I'm 68 years old and decided I don't want to have 2 knee replacements and a heart attack like my 12 year older brother. I was up to 245 lbs and made it down to 220 lbs by just eating sensibly and walking 20 minutes 4 days a week. However, I hit a plateau at 220 for several weeks and decided I needed to try harder. I'm now on about 1400 calories/day and walk/jog 1.5 miles 7 days a week. When I started my pace was a little over 15 min/mile. After about a month I now cover a mile in around 12 minutes...best time is 11:48. is that OK for a 68 year old male? My goal is 170 lbs (what I weighed when I was 21!). The food and exercise tracking on this site should be a big help. Also downloaded the app to my iPhone. Using "MapMyWalk" app to track my daily jogs. --Chuck

Replies

• mommabeer1
    mommabeer1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Like you I'm new here too. I do love this site. This app has a positive effect on me. I had a total knee replacement last October. My stomach will not tolerate any form of pain medication. But I did just fine without it. Two weeks after surgery I went to rehab for one month then I started walking to help strengthen my muscles and it has worked..
    With this app I was able to add my music, I use Walking Fit by Kathy Smith. Then I added "walking poles" to my walk. It boosts your cardio workout making for a total body workout and increases calorie burn. I got my walking poles for twenty dollars at Walmart in sporting goods.
    I'm 62 years and can only squeeze out a 14 min/mile not at all what I use to be, but thankful to be able to walk at all again.. To me it sounds like you are doing great.
    mommabeer
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Check out Hanfordrose, Chuck, she's dealt with knee replacements etc and is also a little older!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You will find tons of support on MFP! There are groups for people over 50 also you could join. The main thing is to track everything that goes in your mouth and make good friends in your age group who will provide helpful and kind feedback. Good luck!
  • Lindyandcheryl
    Lindyandcheryl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love this site, makes tracking food so easy. Good luck!
  • joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    that is awesome man you should do a 5k walk or run they are a blast an you meet a lot of great people keep it up I'm 53 weighed 280 when I started was facing diabetes an back surgery on my lower back I now weigh 217 an have no more issues with my back or the diabetes
  • ChuckP1946
    Options
    Hi Joe, I signed up for a 5K next month.
  • afk1
    afk1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    congrats to you....I have heard about the walking poles and am heading to walmart to get some for both myself and my daughter....please feel free to add me as a friend...you are an inspiration :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • afk1
    afk1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    congrats to you....you are an inspiration....I have been walking and at 55 not so sure about the jogging. I too didn't want to undergo any knee surgeries....feel free to add me as a friend......I will continue walking and who knows....maybe some day take it up a notch to a walk/jog............add me to your list of friends.........:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • weedygumption
    weedygumption Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    im new to this as well but have to say a massive well done, you've do amazing
    well done on the walking as well. i need to do more walking and after reading this i have just been given a bit more motivation :)
    thanks and good luck
  • ChuckP1946
    Options
    I started by just walking but then found I can jog about 50% of the time. My knees get a little sore after 20 minutes so that's my limit for now. I'm hoping as I lose more weight I can jog longer. Also thinking some good inserts for my jogging shoes my help. I plan do a 5K next month.
  • ChuckP1946
    Options
    I was stuck on a plateau for 3 weeks but pushing a little harder and eating just a little less got me off the plateau! I found I can eat ;less than 1400 calories per day and I'm not hungry. Good luck!