Tuna

Options
Mygsds
Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
I have a large amount of canned albacore tuna and wondering if you have a good recipe. Tired of tuna sandwiches and would be grateful for any ideas.... Thanks so much.

Replies

• tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/asian-tuna-patties/

I made them once for the same reason, had a lot of cans and was tired of the salad or the sandwich! They are surprisngly (imo) not bad! I didnt have sesame oil so used olive oil. And I used spray oil to cook them so cut the cals there.

http://www.marthastewart.com/314389/emerils-kicked-up-tuna-melts#Canned Tuna Recipes|/342021/canned-tuna-recipes/@center/344318/fish-and-shellfish-recipes|314389

For this i use less mayo and use reduced fat, and on the ones for me a go lighter on some grated cheese.

http://tunasquish.com/2013/03/tuna-rangoon/

Have not tried those yet but they look yummy.
  • dvdlover
    dvdlover Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons Lemon juice serves 4
    1 tablespoon EVOO
    1 1/2 teaspoons Oregano
    1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
    1 pouch 7 ounces Albacore tuna packed in water
    1/2 cup chopped tomato
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/4 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
    2 whole wheat pita breads 6 1/2 inch
    1 cup baby spinach leaves

mix lemon juice oil oregano and garlic powder in medium bowl until well blended add tuna tomato red onion and feta cheese toss lightly cover refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve cut pita breads in half line with spinach leaves spoon tuna mixture into pita pockets
    Calories 210 Sodium 488mg Fat 6g carbohydrates 22g cholesterol 24mg protein 17g Fiber 3g
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    I like tuna drained and in a tomato sauce, mixed with pasta and grated cheese on top. shoved in the oven until warmed through and the cheese roasted. YUMMY :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I love "Fagioli con tonno" (bean and tuna salad). There are lots of recipes on the web, but at its simplest, a can of beans (rinsed and drained), a can of tuna (drained), chopped celery and Italian dressing are just stirred together. Yummy.

Also, using tuna to make a sauce as in the previously mentioned "Vitello tonnato" -- which is veal with tuna sauce. It's also good on turkey cold cuts, chicken, pork, pasta, veggies, etc. Just whir tuna in the blender or food processor with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Better yet, be more traditional and add depth of flavor by replacing the salt with capers and anchovies. And, no, in this case the anchovies don't taste like slimy fishy things -- they just disappear into the sauce but enhance the flavor of the tuna.

Now that you mention it, tonight might be a good night for something with tuna sauce!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you're tired of too many tuna sandwiches you may be eating it too often! Don't forget about dat mercury!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I discovered I really like tuna patties.

I used this recipe:
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-tuna-patties/

I subbed celery for onion, and added a cup of dirty dirty panko. They were quite tasty. I also read on another site to let your patties rest for 30 minutes or so before you cook them to help prevent them falling apart.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Thanks guys.... I knew I could count on you..
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like to mix tuna with those instant macaroni and cheese cups. Super fancy I know.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make what my kids refer to as "tomato balloons". Basically you cut the top off a tomato, hollow it out, mix the insides with the tuna, some cottage cheese, and a variety of finely chopped, or even grated vegetables, then you fill up the tomato with the mixture and enjoy. You'll have extra mixture, which is good on a sandwich later as a dip with celery and carrot sticks.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do you like sausage gravy on biscuits? Chipped beef on toast? If you do, you'd probably like creamed tuna on toast. Just drain the liquid from the can into your skillet and stir in a little flour and a pat of butter. Add milk and simmer to thicken, toss in spices you like (at least salt and pepper) and the tuna. Serve on toast torn into smaller bite size pieces. For an easy casserole on top of the stove mix tuna with cooked noodles and a can of cream of broccoli (or mushroom, or onion, or celery) soup. Add a favorite veggie, like steamed broccoli or even frozen peas. I grew up eating lots of tuna....my mom made tuna patties as suggested above, tuna salad sandwiches that you're weary of, and both of these simple dishes. Budget stretchers to be sure! And, I still like tuna :-) These days I sometimes just pop open one of the new no drain cans and eat it plain.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Put a pan on with some olive oil and minced garlic, cook on a low heat until just before they colour. Add some fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley and stir through linguine.

Cook some shallots on a low heat in a little olive oil, add some capers and tuna. Once cooked through, add some tinned chopped tomatoes and cook until reduced. Put on pasta.

Get some butter beans, add some very finely sliced red onion, tuna, parsley, lemon juice, a little olive oil, garlic and mustard.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I love "Fagioli con tonno" (bean and tuna salad). There are lots of recipes on the web, but at its simplest, a can of beans (rinsed and drained), a can of tuna (drained), chopped celery and Italian dressing are just stirred together. Yummy.

Also, using tuna to make a sauce as in the previously mentioned "Vitello tonnato" -- which is veal with tuna sauce. It's also good on turkey cold cuts, chicken, pork, pasta, veggies, etc. Just whir tuna in the blender or food processor with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Better yet, be more traditional and add depth of flavor by replacing the salt with capers and anchovies. And, no, in this case the anchovies don't taste like slimy fishy things -- they just disappear into the sauce but enhance the flavor of the tuna.

Now that you mention it, tonight might be a good night for something with tuna sauce!

Anchovies are good, good.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Such smart people on this site..... So making these... Thanks much!!!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad and put it in a 1/2 of Hass Avocado. Yummy!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad and put it in a 1/2 of Hass Avocado. Yummy!

I love tuna and avocado! Glad it's not just me. The ideas for tuna patties here sound awesome, I gotta try that.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like tuna melts, I also like the southwest flavors like mixing black beans, green chile, chile powder in. There's a buffalo tuna wrap I love. You add Franks hot sauce to tuna and chopped celery, place in tortilla with lettuce, low fat feta cheese and low fat ranch dressing.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    I like tuna melts, I also like the southwest flavors like mixing black beans, green chile, chile powder in. There's a buffalo tuna wrap I love. You add Franks hot sauce to tuna and chopped celery, place in tortilla with lettuce, low fat feta cheese and low fat ranch dressing.

OMG.. Drool.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Will give the tuna patties a go, been wondering myself waht to have beyond the sandwich
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Great recipes, thanks people!