Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired -- which is your worst?

Options
And how do you manage it?

I can do hungry OK. I can be hungry before a meal and still make decent choices. I don't grab the mound of chili cheese fries just because my stomach's growling. I also typically eat a lot of cut-up veggies, which leaves me feeling full.

Angry? Never been an angry eater. An anxious eater sometimes, but the veggies serve a double purpose on that. If I'm anxious, I just want to chew and it doesn't matter on what, so celery works just as well as chips.

Lonely? I'm a strong introvert and kind of a loner to begin with, so if there are no people around I usually feel a sense of relief rather than distress.

But tired.... hoo-boy. Especially in the afternoons at work when I need to function but can't concentrate. And if I'm tired before dinner, that's when I'll go big... followed by more evening snacks than fit my goals.

All I can do with the tired is try to get enough sleeps and try to get rest days from the exercise when I need it.

Which is your bugaboo? And how do you manage it?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A mix of angry and tired. The other day my dad said something that offended me, and combined with my PMS it took everything in me to still ask for no whip on my frappuccino when I was at Starbucks later. And sometimes after a long day at work, especially on weekends when I have to be in at 5 or 6 in the morning, I'll cave and buy a frozen pizza, then remember why I stopped eating them in the first place.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Anxiety/worry. That's mine. I have worked hard to change my response, and mostly succeed. But that's still my problem. When something very stressful and upsetting is going on and I have to wait for a response or outcome, my body is screaming "all of the chocolate" or urging me to drop by Starbucks for a big creamy calorie laden drink.
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hungry = Hangry for me ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Angry/tired, cuz being tired makes me have a shorter fuse and somedays I just hate stupid people and have no patience for them. Yep, definitely this one. I have to walk it off usually.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Tired!!
    When I'm tired my appetite knows no bounds. And I lack the self control to say no to quick energy foods (sweets)

Or drunk, drunk me eats EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Angry/tired, cuz being tired makes me have a shorter fuse and somedays I just hate stupid people and have no patience for them. Yep, definitely this one. I have to walk it off usually.

I like the idea of walking it off. Might work to perk me up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Angry actually motivates me to get moving. My best runs were after I got seriously stressed out/annoyed at something.

Tired sucks because my first instinct is to reach for tea... which would be great, except it makes me ravenous if I don't eat something with it. So that's why I started drinking coffee again...

Hungry obviously is the worst. Especially those hormones hungers. I can go from 'not hungry' to 'starving' in like 5 minutes, so it can be tough to balance, and I tend to eat too much when it happens.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    #1 Tired
    #2 Stress
    #3 TOM

Still all a work I progress, but when I am tired is when I am most vulnerable. I can't seem to be able to fight it as easily.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I get notoriously hangry, but I can still make good food choices, if not good choices about how to react to people and situations.

Tired, though? Tired = OMNOMNOMNOMNOM till I get to sleep.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I realized I answered just part of the question above. I didn't address how I manage the anxiety/stress related urges to eat. Honestly, I try to work small "treats" into every day, or almost. So when I think to myself "Dang I am SO freakin' stressed out about x, y, and z, I want to pull up to the custard shop and get a shake" I just move on and remember that after my well balanced dinner, there's a square of dark chocolate with caramel or an ice cream bar or something like that waiting for me, and I won't screw up my perfectly prelogged day.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    None of the above. It's always been anxiety for me. I've learned that I really have to manage my stress levels, let go of what I can't control, limit the "what-ifs", or I'll feel constantly hungry (eating makes my brain shut-up for a short while).
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    lonely…. when I feel sorry for myself… guess I need to exercise more… :P lol!!!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Angry actually motivates me to get moving. My best runs were after I got seriously stressed out/annoyed at something.

Hungry obviously is the worst. Especially those hormones hungers. I can go from 'not hungry' to 'starving' in like 5 minutes, so it can be tough to balance, and I tend to eat too much when it happens.

Exactly ME! LOL ^^^^^^^
  • rainbowfaye
    rainbowfaye Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hungry and tired is the double whammy that always gets me. If I'm tired I just won't eat. Not the best but for my purposes I will catch up the next day. If I'm hungry I will make myself something small and nutritious as a snack while I figure out my meal. But tired and hungry I just can't think and it has led to me calling my bf and asking for fried chicken pickup. :ohwell: Recently I have been trying to avoid being tired and hungry at the same time. If I know I will be too tired to cook I will leave something out to easily eat.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sad and lonely for sure