Healthy Gas Station Snack?

Options
2»

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Forget the convenience store. Pack your own before you leave.

This! even take a small ice chest if needed!

Coleman makes coolers that plug into the lighter thingy in the car!!! It's AWESOME!!! (you may have to purchase the car-compatible cable separate. mine came ready to plug in inside, but not the car)

I did a 3 month road trip last fall and i almost ALWAYS had fresh produce, fresh dairy, precooked meats that you can either prepare yourself or, if its over several days/weeks, most supermarkets sell cooked rotisserie chickens these days. I also found that lots of motels/hotels have microwaves, so, even on a road trip, i got to eat a hot dinner without having to go "out" to eat or settle for fast food.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Take your own healthy snacks, too.

I would say nuts (raw if you can find them) are a good choice - but read the ingredient label before buying. Cheese, maybe canned meat (again, read the label).

I do my best to take plenty of my own things so I don't find myself starving & looking for the best bad choice at places like this. But, stuff happens...
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    7-11 has boiled eggs, nuts, cheddar cheese squares, fresh fruit, jerky and sometimes salads. For crunchy they have Baked Lays, pretzels and various energy bars too.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I work at a gas station, so I'm daunted with the task of selecting something healthy when I forget my snack.
    There's a fruit stand at mine, so that's always a plus. Trail mixes, peanuts, cashews, almonds - they ALWAYS have those.
    Beef jerky isn't too bad if you're not looking to watch sodium. Protein & granola bars are good. I opt for water, but juice & milk are an option. I'd say skip the convenience and pack something yourself! It's cheaper and you can plan ahead of time.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    nuts, protein bars, fruit, yogurt. I went on a road trip down i-95 a few weeks ago. A lot of gas stations had sub shops in them.
  • SRHelicity
    Options
    I'm a big fan of beef jerky in a situation such as the OP described. It's great protein, and it's easier to it slowly given the amount of chewing required to eat it. Many brands and types are very high in sodium, but you may be able to find a relatively low sodium variety. It's also not very inexpensive, but I'd much rather spend $6-7 on protein that'll take me 30-45 minutes to snack on than $2 on a bag of chips or candy that'll be eaten very quickly and won't do much to fill me up.

Some gas stations have pretty decent sub-type sandwiches. Otherwise, you can always stock up on healthy snacks before you leave.

I also like nuts, but it's really easy to consume a *lot* of calories in nuts (or, at least, it is for me). As such, I tend to avoid nuts to from a calorie management standpoint.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Nuts and jerky are available at most gas stations. 7-eleven has good options, they have fruit, salad, and protein shakes.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Most Gas Stations have Muscle Milk (protein shake) Chocolate is delicious! I also like the single serving size bags of Wasabi almonds! Yum
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I think nuts are probably your best bet on the road but I agree with others to make your own snacks before you go. I make my own jerky and it's a perfect road food. I also choose how much salt I put in, how much sugar etc. Jerky and flavoured peanuts don't require refrigeration and are perfect road trip foods IMO.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drove a truck for many years.. Healthy snacking is difficult to find out on the road. Love's Truck stops try their best to offer some healthy choices with their fresh fruit and veggie cups. Pilot and Flying J try to pitch in and do the same, but Love's has the best when it comes to the cups. A lot of the truck stops have Subway which has decent food if you're trying to watch your calories and you can get lots of veggies on the subs. As for grocery stores yes they are better to go to (especially if they have gas pumps, some do) Unfortunately truckers are limited to a few grocery stores that allow truck parking.

The Coleman 12 volt coolers are great if you're just going on a road trip for a day or two, but be careful. They don't keep your perishables cold the whole time. We've gone through many when we had trucks without refrigerators in them, looking for one that would keep our meats cold.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure those two words can't be used like that in the same sentence, (healthy and gas station snacks). :laugh:

Ooh just though of one... a bottle of water.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I'm confused. Where are these gas stations????? All the gas stations by me have some ugly dude named Mohammed working at it.

^^^ :laugh: ^^^ Love it!
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like Kind bars. Super healthy snack and delicious too. Otherwise I try to get unsweetened tea or water (so many drink temptations) and definitely stay away from the candy and pastry isles!