Reached Goal Weight But...

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Being too skinny carries health risks just like being fat. Outside the world of actresses and models, most people are very turned off by the too-skinny look.

Visit your doctor, tell him about what people are saying and whether or not you should gain some weight. He will let you know if they're right or not and can guide you toward a healthy weight if you aren't there now.

Some people say, "You're so skinny!" as a compliment or to be polite. I'm already hearing "skinny" and am still way into fat, lol. But some say it out of concern. The doctor is really the only person to trust. They know the facts, they know you and will never say you're too thin or fat unless you are.

Go to the doctor and find out the truth.

Also, check out Supersize vs. Superskinny. It's on youTube. The gigando people never argue that they're healthy, but the very skinny ones are always shocked, lol. :)
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    We live in a society that loves to shame skinny people so this is not shocking. I have a bunch of friends who are size 0s hate being told they need to est more or look sickly. If you know your health is fine there is nothing wrong with where you're at now, my grandma is actually 5'7 106lbs 97 years old. She's never weighed more than 115lbs her whole life. She has always been skinny and guess what she's fine. I work at a lot of old folks homes and so many of them are skinny and frail. BUT in our society we judge health by how long someone lives, if they are underweight but have had lived long lives then they are perfectly fine. Japan has the skinniest people in the world and shockingly they also have some of the oldest living as well.

So don't let them shame you into thinking being skinny is wrong. As long you are eating and know your healthy with doctors conformation to back you up live your life and be happy. Tell them to worry about the fat in their bodies, and not the fat they think you lack. I suggest going on the reddit /fatlogic stuff like this is pretty common.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's too skinny. 15 pounds sounds about right, you'd still be very thin. You set your goal weight outside healthy parameters.
  • skittle316
    Options
    Being too skinny carries health risks just like being fat. Outside the world of actresses and models, most people are very turned off by the too-skinny look.

Visit your doctor, tell him about what people are saying and whether or not you should gain some weight. He will let you know if they're right or not and can guide you toward a healthy weight if you aren't there now.

Some people say, "You're so skinny!" as a compliment or to be polite. I'm already hearing "skinny" and am still way into fat, lol. But some say it out of concern. The doctor is really the only person to trust. They know the facts, they know you and will never say you're too thin or fat unless you are.

Also, check out Supersize vs. Superskinny. It's on youTube. The gigando people never argue that they're healthy, but the very skinny ones are always shocked, lol. :)
    A doctor would only tell her to gain fat if she was infertile, malnourished, anemic or fatigued. OP hasnt stated any of that, unless she has actual physical problems there is nothing wrong with her weight. BMI is useless because everyone handles fat differently and are built differently. I live in Canada and people here on a majority are pretty skinny. I remember in high school where the ideal weight was 115lbs, most people were size 5's or lower.. If you weighed 150lbs or more that was considered fat. Different countries have different standards, OP just happens to be in a place where being smaller is frowned upon. Unless you are on the verge of death, ones health concern is purely out of vanity and not being pleased with how that person looks like. Rarely does it ever have to do with health.
    Yes, that's too skinny. 15 pounds sounds about right, you'd still be very thin. You set your goal weight outside healthy parameters.
    That's not too skinny at all, you're judt not used to people that small :p
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This is a very hard question to answer for someone else as we all see ourselves differently in the mirror and it is hard to tell someone else what body they should be in. The question you have to ask yourself is "Do I like myself the way I am right now". If you are happy with your new body then keep it. You will have to find a way of getting your partner to accept it. You might have to come to some sort of compromise depending on whether or not you are wanting to change you.

Agreed

Whatever

People will always have opinions on what you look like. At some point you'll have to ask yourself, am I a healthy adult? If the answer is yes, then you get to determine for yourself how you want to look. Personally I'd figure out a way to shut down the unsolicited comments, but that's just me
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options

A doctor would only tell her to gain fat if she was infertile, malnourished, anemic or fatigued. OP hasnt stated any of that, unless she has actual physical problems there is nothing wrong with her weight. BMI is useless because everyone handles fat differently and are built differently. I live in Canada and people here on a majority are pretty skinny. I remember in high school where the ideal weight was 115lbs, most people were size 5's or lower.. If you weighed 150lbs or more that was considered fat. Different countries have different standards, OP just happens to be in a place where being smaller is frowned upon. Unless you are on the verge of death, ones health concern is purely out of vanity and not being pleased with how that person looks like. Rarely does it ever have to do with health.

Wrong, I'm the same height. I was often trying to be between that size and 125 in high school and my early 20's. When I was looked gaunt, unhealthy, and too skinny.
  • manshusgr
    manshusgr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sound u did an awesome job
  • ronnie786
    ronnie786 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So I've finally reached my goal weight but I'm being told I look anorexic which is really knocking my confidence. I'm 5'7 and weigh 113lbs I started at 143lbs but my family and fiance say I looked so much better before. I wasn't happy at 143lbs because I felt huge and at 113lbs I feel like less of a woman since i've lost all my curves. I was full figured before and now I get told I look like a stick :frown: what do you guys think am I too thin for my height? how can I get back my curves thicker thighs bigger butt etc without gaining fat around the middle. My fiance wants me to put atleast another 10-15lbs back on but I feel that would be too much please help...

I am aware that I'm classed as underweight according to my bmi. But I didn't think i'd be classed as anorexic I only ever saw it as 2-3 pounds underweight. I also didn't plan on looking anorexic I want to look fit and healthy not ill.. most of my weight loss came from diet and cardio (I suck at strength training) :grumble:.. I'm scared of gaining weight because it goes straight to my mid section :angry:, I would like to gain 10lbs but in muscle is that possible and how long will it take sorry for the stupid questions:blushing:. Also what would you consider the ideal weight for a 23 y/o 5'7 female
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well you are a little thin....If your healthy and happy than there's nothing to worry about.If you want gain weight eat more calories and move less! Just like losing weight!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The ideal weight for a 5'7" 23-year-old female is whatever weight is comfortable and healthy for her and her body frame. There is no magic number, although there is a weight range that is considered healthy. You need to decide where in that range is best for you. I'm also 5'7", and my goal weight is around 135 because that seems to be where my body is going to end up to be the size and BF% that I want. There's another poster here who is the same height but weighs 10 lbs more than I do now, but has already reached the size I am going for.

That being said, 113 lbs is very low for this height, and it seems from what you've said that you basically burned away all your muscle with a calorie deficit and cardio, which is why you don't have the fit and healthy look that you want.

You need to add muscle to get where you want. That means eating above maintenance, getting lots of protein, and lifting heavy weights to build muscle. It's going to take time, as in months. It's hard for guys to add muscle, and even harder for women. You are going to add a little fat as you add muscle, everyone does.
  • ronnie786
    Options
    Well you are a little thin....If your healthy and happy than there's nothing to worry about.If you want gain weight eat more calories and move less! Just like losing weight!

I just want my curves back tbh lol I just need to stop eating 1200 calories.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Wow, you've totally convinced me. Between having no photo, 19 years of life experience, and sharing your memories of ideal weight in high school, you sound like a real expert on the subject. :noway:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    While I agree that you are underweight, I think the opinions will vary from person to person, specially if due to lack of pictures.

If you felt huge before, maybe it was because your body fat percentage was higher. Have you looked into trying to weight lift. It doesn't make you bulky but does give you a nice figure. Heres some proof of that in this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy

^This. OP, if you're afraid of gaining weight, you should talk to your doctor. If you're afraid of lifting weights, don't be. Lots of smart people here to help you.
  • kamelew
    kamelew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here are the standard guidelines:
    BMI Categories:
    Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Your BMI is 17- Underweight- at 120lbs you will be at the low end of you DWR ( Desired Weight Range) and a healthy weight. So gain 7 lbs by eating healthy foods.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    113 for your height is pretty small... You might try increasing calories and doing some strength training so you gain muscle, you might find that 140-150 pounds with toned muscles looks a lot better than 140-150 pounds with poor muscle tone.
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    I second comments about "skinny shaming". You and only you will know if you are too thin. Are you weak all the time? Feel like you have to follow a routine that is unhealthy or unsustainable to stay at your current weight? Just plain unhappy with your weight? Fine, then change for YOU, not because someone else says you don't look the way they think you should. Our society is incredibly forgiving to people who are a few pounds overweight but are absolutely certain those a few pounds underweight "have a problem."
  • ronnie786
    Options
    113 for your height is pretty small... You might try increasing calories and doing some strength training so you gain muscle, you might find that 140-150 pounds with toned muscles looks a lot better than 140-150 pounds with poor muscle tone.

That's exactly what I'm going to aim for....
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You definitely seem underweight given what info you've provided. Eat a calorie surplus, high in protein, and do a lot of strength training. You'll gain muscle instead of fat.
  • skittle316
    Options

Wrong, I'm the same height. I was often trying to be between that size and 125 in high school and my early 20's. When I was looked gaunt, unhealthy, and too skinny.
    That is YOU, what part of
    people put on fat differently
    people are built differently
    If OP does NOT have medical conditions
    etc. I didn't say 5'7 113lbs is perfect weight, I said if she feels healthy and is healthy her weight is irrelevant.

Most of my friends do not weigh over 150lbs outside of mfp. One of my friends is 5'5 100lbs, 5'3 95lbs they want to gain weight because of how much they've been skinny shamed but generally feel fine and eat a lot especially my 5'3 friend she eats 5 servings of vegetables a day. And the 5'5 is training to be a cadet. I'm saying not all skinny people are unhealthy, that's a bad stereotype stemmed of ignorance. My friend who is 5'10 went studying abroad, used to be 148lbs but after cutting out bread,bad sugars, lowering her portions and walking more got to 128lbs. People would call that anorexic and have when she went back to the states. She's eating the best she's ever had and barely focuses on her weight.

She feels the best she has in years at her so called "anorexic" weight, went to the doctors and her readings were better, than ever. Why would she need to gain weight purely because she is under her bmI?
    She is practicing healthy habits, the same could be said for one who gained weight. No one is the same, you can't throw too skinny or too fat. As you are setting a horrible standard,

People who starve to be thin, eat too little are practicing unhealthy diets.
    If OP feels and is perfectly fine with the weight she's at, there is no reason for her to change it. If OP is in starvation mode,doesn't eat, malnourished, anemic,etc then then her nutrition and, the lifestyle she is living is not good for body and health. Her answer is to eat more nutrient dense foods, not to add or gain weight. Since how does eating a burger and getting meat on your bones mean you're healthy?

You at 125 and in 20's were not practicing healthy habits, your weight has nothing to do with it.
    No one is the same, you can't throw too skinny or too fat. As you are setting a horrible standard, at the end of the day we are mass. How much mass one has is irrelevant, it's the habits that got them that matter. I'm just sick of all this shaming big or small who the **** cares. If you have a mentality of judging health by vanity and weight, you're mistaking, ignorant,entitled,etc. MFP is suppose to be community that supports all shapes and sizes.

People need to stop saying it's unhealthy for her height. I talked to my doctor, for my 5'10 height 127lbs is the lowest weight I can go before my health risks increase. She is 3 inches shorter than me, 113lbs is fine if she has no health issues.
    These are pictures of women who are 5'7 113lbs do they look underweight/anorexic or malnourished?
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?gender=female&height=170&age=any&weight=50&pantSize=any&shirtSize=any&bodytype=
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yes, being too skinny is not attractive at all. Women look better with meat on their bones