Yeah Baby, Express the Anal Glands

Options
Gross, right?

I work in the animal industry at an upscale dog grooming spa. Part of what we have to do is express the dog's anal glands (squeezing the sides of the rectum until the chocolate soft serve comes out. Gross, right?) When the glands are full, that's why dogs scoot their butts across the carpet. Gross, right?

Anyway, I'm updating my animal resume to submit to an animal hospital for a veterinary assistant. Is it appropriate to put on there how I express anal glands?

A vulgar friend of mine said yes.

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I worked in a veterinarian's office for 4 years when I was young.

I wouldn't list it specifically on your resume, but in an in-person/phone interview when asked about some of the things you've learned that translate well from grooming -> veterinary medicine, that would be something to mention.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually a groomer. I am a floating administrative assistant. I do solely reception on some days and on other days I do the prep work for the groomers - brushing teeth and cleaning ears, expressing anal glands, and clipping/filing nails.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Gross, right?

I work in the animal industry at an upscale dog grooming spa. Part of what we have to do is express the dog's anal glands (squeezing the sides of the rectum until the chocolate soft serve comes out. Gross, right?) When the glands are full, that's why dogs scoot their butts across the carpet. Gross, right?

Anyway, I'm updating my animal resume to submit to an animal hospital for a veterinary assistant. Is it appropriate to put on there how I express anal glands?

A vulgar friend of mine said yes.

I worked as Veterinary Technician for a number of years. It was also part of our job description at times.
    NO.
    On a resume, it should read 'experienced in all phases of companion animal grooming' should suffice. Don't forget, you'll hopefully have an interview where they will ask you questions & you can be as specific as you need to be to demonstrate your competence.

eta: While evacuating anal glands isn't the most pleasant of experiences, such is the world of animal care. I wouldn't call it gross, it just is what it is :drinker:

edited for clarity
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hmm then I would phrase it as "all required prep work for routine grooming" or something. It would be personal preference if you want to specificially list the things in your last comment in parentheses after that phrase.

ETA: As the poster above me said, maybe don't include it.

I presently work in management in a totally unrelated field and part of my job duties are screening and interviewing potential hires, and I'd think something like the phrase I listed above would totally suffice. I think the admin. asst. duties and prep-work for grooming on a resume show prospective employers that you are easily trained at varied tasks and can handle a variety of duties, so no need to get into the nitty gritty on a resume :)
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    until the chocolate soft serve comes out

Right. You got me. :sick:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    until the chocolate soft serve comes out

Right. You got me. :sick:

That's how the owner of the shop describes it.