Will a fitbit work with Ubuntu?

Options
Considering buying a fitbit. However, my laptop runs Ubuntu, not Windows. Is that likely to be a problem? It won't be much use if I can't sync it with MFP !

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    See if wine or your phone can handle the app if it needs an app to do its thing. Otherwise, it might be able to go straight for your wifi... I've never had a fitbit but these are my usual gadget workarounds.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do have a smartphone, but it may not be smart enough...
    I've got to return an Oregon Scientific ssmart dynamo tracker that I bought on an Aldi offer as I'd been toying with a tracker for ages. I found it wouldn't sync with computers, only smartphones running Android 4.3 and mine runs 4.1. Not willing to root the phone in case I turn it into a paperweight, so it's good that I have the receipt!
    Don't want to be burnt again lol.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can sync the fitbit with the website 2 ways:

1. Via smartphone which in turn syncs with the fitbit website (See website for compatible smartphones)
    2. Via PC or MAC with the included USB Bluetooth dongle. This requires pc or mac sw to do the sync which will not officially work on Ubuntu. That said; a 3rd party unix hack claims to have written an app you can load to allow a ubuntu device to communicate with a fitbit. But seems to me it would be much easier to upgrade your phone to a current version.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You can try running the fitbit sync software through WINE but I have not tried it so I don't know if it works. When I had Ubuntu on my laptop i exclusively synced my fitbit via my phone so I never tried, and nowadays I have a Mac so I haven't tried with a dual boot either.
  • cwayne18
    cwayne18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will work with galileo in my PPA!

http://chrismwayne.com/?p=241