wise words needed

Options
I know this questions been asked before but i'm feeling so down i think maybe i just need to hear it again. Basically my weightloss has been going well had a couple of bumps along the way but nothing major. Anyway i've had a couple of weeks where my weight stayed the same and now for a couple of days it's decided to increase only 1.6lb in total but im devastated.

i've not changed anything, i weigh everything, i'm still exercising i just wish i could understand whats going on.

i know that i'm not far away from my goal weight and i'm hoping that maybe thats what this is & it's just another bump in the road. In the past when i've hit something like this i've ended up losing the plot abit & cut down massively on my calories. I know this doesn't work but my silly brain is yelling at me yet again.

has anyone been through this, got to 10-15lb from goal & struggled to get any further. Am i doing the right thing by sticking with what i've been doing and keeping to my calorie goal & exercising. I'm hoping that if i just keep going eventually my body will catch up & realise i'm not giving up this time & the weight will start to come off again & i know that based on what i'm eating it cannot have put on any fat but i would really love to hear a few wise words from anyone who's got through this and achieved their dreams

thanks

Replies

• FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You've lost 98lb so far? That's amazing! You know what you're doing.
    Sometimes I gain more than 1.6lb the day following a salty meal, if you're eating right and maintaining your deficit the weight will come off.
    Keep doing the things you've been doing to shift the 98lb.

It's disheartening when the scale doesn't play fair but just look at your old photos or old clothes (if you've kept any) to see how well you've done. This will just be a blip.

(Also, when did you last replace the batteries in your scales - mine does weird things when it's running low.)

Best of luck.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar issue. If I looked at salt, I was up 2 pounds on the scale. Two months ago, I decided to change things up. I switched my workouts to emphasis building muscle and strength. I also find that I do better by eating at a calorie restriction for a couple weeks and then eating at a normal calorie amount for a week and then going back to the calorie restriction. Losing .5 pounds is a good amount once we get close to our goals.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wish I had wise words, but I do have empathy. It took me a long time to lose the last 10 pounds. Granted, I wasn't as careful about my diet as I could have been as I did go out to eat on a weekend night most weeks. However, I stuck with monitoring calories in/calories out and it did come off eventually. Once I reached my goal weight, looking back, the loss did turn out to be .5 pounds a week on average. Some weeks were higher, some lower, some a gain. That is 2 pounds/month, which translates to 5 months to lose 10 pounds. The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose unfortunately. It is hard after losing so much weight which you were able to lose at a quicker rate (I'm assuming). It took 6 months for me to lose 45 pounds, then over a year to lose the last 25. Patience, patience, patience is key along with continuing to track calories in/out. There were times I thought of really restricting my calories (like under 1200) just to get to my goal weight, however I am so glad I didn't. Doing that will get you to that "magic" number on the scale, however once you increase your calories to a sustainable level, the weight will come right back. Since I've reached my goal weight, I've been able to maintain within a few pounds (I reached the lowest weight in what I considered to be in an acceptable range and have allowed a 3-5 pound fluctuation). It's rough, but you've come so far already. Keep going. Gook luck!
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's good to know that this is normal atleast & hopefully i should get past it if i stick with it.

Thanks again
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    98lbs wow you certainly know what you're doing! You don't need this but just a reminder, scales are not everything. They are often inaccurate. People get really discouraged by numbers but the truth is, they lie sometimes. They're not totally accurate, not unless you have a team of physicists coming into your house and calibrating your scales on a regular basis and you are weighing under the exact same conditions every week (which is impossible) what you are seeing is an approximation, especially when you get down to the small numbers, there's a lot of room for error there, quite a lot, I can't stress that enough. Even the most up to date fancy weighing scales is approximating your weight. I'm thinking about doing a long post on scales soon because it is a topic that comes up again and again. Keep going, keep doing what your doing, you're clearly doing it right, you've been doing phenomenally well and I know you're toward the last bit of your journey but are you using a tape measure? A tape measure provides great encouragement at times like this and it's not to late to start tracking your progress now. You're doing great, don't let this get you down, hang in there, keep at it:flowerforyou: Go you, you're doing great:smile::drinker: