running on treadmill

Options
So I really enjoy running on the treadmill but I have found recently that when I run I feel like Im in a "bearhug" . My chest and upper back while running feel very constricted.
I run at 8.2 kmh and no incline. could it be a posture thing? Have others had this too, I wasn't noticing it at slower speeds but im getting faster and just started noticing the squeezing feeling at this speed.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You're running too fast. It doesn't have anything to do with the treadmill.

And if you're worried about your form, check out the New Balance program "Good Form Running".

http://www.goodformrunning.com/
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree and I feel the same way OP even though I am running faster these days…can you just keep it steady at a slightly slower pace?
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It could be the fact you are not use to the faster speed or it could be the treadmills incline. I find running on a treadmill to be awkward. I can never get good posture on an treadmill incline because it seems to be unnatural to me. The faster you run the better your posture needs to be so of course you are going to notice it more. All I can suggest is try running the same incline slop outside and see what happens.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So I really enjoy running on the treadmill but I have found recently that when I run I feel like Im in a "bearhug" . My chest and upper back while running feel very constricted.
    I run at 8.2 kmh and no incline. could it be a posture thing? Have others had this too, I wasn't noticing it at slower speeds but im getting faster and just started noticing the squeezing feeling at this speed.

Well, you could slow down.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Why slow down? 8.2 kmh is hardly pushing it, as a rule as you get fitter you get quicker, nobody got better by slowing down, what strange advice
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

And if you're worried about your form, check out the New Balance program "Good Form Running".

^^this

and yes, you can get fitter by slowing down..in fact, it's pretty much a necessity if you are going to run any sort of mileage.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You should put the treadmill one level up when you run. That will be more of a natural run gate. You may need to slow down for intervals and then speed back up, It has nothing t do with the treadmill, you are pushing your body to reach a faster run and this will happen. Good luck with your running
  • inciteme
    inciteme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If your chest hurts you might need to go to a doctor.
  • LoraF83
    Options

Why slow down? 8.2 kmh is hardly pushing it, as a rule as you get fitter you get quicker, nobody got better by slowing down, what strange advice

Not strange advice at all. 8.2 kmh might not be pushing it for some, but it apparently is for the OP. If she's feeling so badly running faster (faster for her, and that's what matters), then she should slow down. Speed is relative.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It's most likely your form.

And for people who think it's too fast... 8.2 km/h = 5.09524 mph... which is a 12 minute mile.

ETA: If this continues and you're sure your form is correct, it might be good to see a doctor because there could be another issue.
  • LoraF83
    Options

And for people who think it's too fast... 8.2 km/h = 5.09524 mph... which is a 12 minute mile.

Which may be too fast for the OP at this point and time.

When I started running 2 years ago, 12 min/mile was too fast for me. I was much more comfortable at 12:30-12:45. Over time, with hard work, experience and weight loss, my pace is now about 10:00/mile for short distances and 10:30/mile for longer distances.

Not everyone runs at the same speed or starts at the same ability level.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

LOL ok. You're right. What do I know?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

ETA: If this continues and you're sure your form is correct, it might be good to see a doctor because there could be another issue.

Speed is relative. I'm more curious about the level of effort OP is putting forth. A 12 minute mile for me wouldn't get my heart rate above 110, but looking at her post history, she is 5'3" and was 174lbs back in May, so yes, a 12 minute mile may likely be too fast for her at this point.

Edited to correct height/weight
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Oh... I thought she said 8.2 MPH.... that would be cruising at low altitude....
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Awesome video especially for a new runner like me. Thanks for sharing.

I can't run on a treadmill. It's very awkward for me. I only use it for walking on crosstraining days at an incline. I'm very new to running so no expert but I do know that as I got "better" at running I ended up going too fast too soon. I had to slow down and regroup then I was able to rebuild distance and speed just by gradually increasing instead of doing more than what my body could handle.
  • jenniepinch83
    jenniepinch83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I've been progressing in my running speed over the last few months I started at only walking and have progressed up to an hour run at between 7.5-8.0 kmh and was doing very well, so I up'd it to 8.2kmh and started noticing the tightness-so I don't believe its too fast as Ive been progressing to this. Im more asking if it possibly a form thing or should I try an incline for more natural. I didn't just jump on at that speed without working up to it...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Well I've been progressing in my running speed over the last few months I started at only walking and have progressed up to an hour run at between 7.5-8.0 kmh and was doing very well, so I up'd it to 8.2kmh and started noticing the tightness-so I don't believe its too fast as Ive been progressing to this. Im more asking if it possibly a form thing or should I try an incline for more natural. I didn't just jump on at that speed without working up to it...

Your chest tightness says otherwise. You're a running newbie who went from walking to running a 12min/mi in "a few months" - you should be concerning yourself with running for increased duration at a conversational, easy pace (for now). The speed will come with the increased aerobic endurance you get from running at a slower pace, or you can deal with the chest tightness and blame form and incline.

90% of my running is at an easy pace which, for me, is between 9:00-10:00min/mi. My racing/tempo paces are 6:15-8:00min/mi, and those are a minority of my running schedule, otherwise I'd suffer what you do in addition to other stresses on my body that would hamper my goal of 55-60 miles per week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well I've been progressing in my running speed over the last few months

How long do you run for in a session?
  • jenniepinch83
    jenniepinch83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    depends on the day some days I do 30 some I do 60 minutes and anywhere in between based on how long I have to spend at the gym.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    depends on the day some days I do 30 some I do 60 minutes and anywhere in between based on how long I have to spend at the gym.

I can only do about 10 minutes on a dreadmill before I'm bored mindless, hateful devices.

I'd agree that you're probably going a bit too fast, hunching suggests that you're not keeping up with the pace of the belt. If you're running out in the real speed improves through time on your feet. It doesn't sound like your sessions are long enough yet to be picking up the pace to that extent.