What 5 nutrients do you track?

Options
It annoys me that we can only pick 5 on the web diary. Wondering if I should change mine or not. Mine are:

Carbs
Fat
Protein
Saturated Fat
Fiber

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Calcium

I really only care to track the first four, the fifth is just a "floater." I use the phone app to see a weekly overview of everything, and by the sixth day, I've usually hit all the micros (vitamins, potassium, iron, calcium) just fine, so I don't sweat those, since my dietary choices typically are similar from week to week, and seem to fill out my micronutrients just fine.
  • Lori_Wilkerson
    Lori_Wilkerson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Calories, Fat, Protein, Carbs, Fiber. I agree, though, I wish we could track more. I'd add sodium, calcium and iron.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I track carbs, fat and sat fat, protein and sugar. I'd like to track iron, calcium and fibre too, wish there was room for all of them!
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have left mine at MFP's default.

Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Sodium

I'm torn about the sodium because so many people say to ignore it unless you have a medical reason to track it. However, my body hates me and loves to retain water like crazy when I eat too much sodium so I keep it on their just to keep an eye on it.

I'm curious to see what others track.

Edit: spelling
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think the database information is not complete enough to track anything other than the main three macro-nutrients and fibre. Saturated fat too actually, although personally find no merit in tracking that, other than curiousity.
  • 00Allie00
    00Allie00 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Carbs
    Protein
    Fiber
    Sugar
    Fat

I make 90% of what my family eats and we don't use anything processed, so I sacrificed the sodium intake tracker for the fiber.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Carbs.
    Fat.
    Protein.
    Sodium.
    Fiber.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Sodium
    protein
    Carbs
    Fat
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I track:

Iron
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Carbs

I used to track sugar but I eat so much fruit that I was constantly in the red. I read more than once in the forums that if you don't have a health reason to worry about sugar intake, it's relatively safe to ignore what you're getting with the fruit.

I agree with other posters who would like to be able to track more. Of course they're all available on the full report tab at the bottom of our diaries, but that's just too hard to do. (read: I admit I'm too lazy to take the time to open the danged thing!) :embarassed:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I track, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, and fibre.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Calcium
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Sodium
    Potassium

Track the last 2 due to HBP.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I change mine depending on what I feel like learning about. Right now I'm tracking potassium because I really know relatively little about what I should eat to make sure I get enough. I really "should" go back to tracking sodium because I have a tendency to go over. You can use the tracking as a "training device" for yourself to fine tune your eating habits.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fat, fiber, protein and iron...as a vegetarian gotta make sure I get enough of the last 2
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I only track Carbs, Fats, Protein, and Fiber. I like to keep the process as simple as possible.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to anything except the calories. The others, I rotate periodically. No real reason (e.g., medical) to track anything specific.
    Without looking, I don't know which ones I have now.
    Unimportant to me.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Carbs, Fat, Protein and Fiber.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,526 Member
    Options
    I only track 4.

Carbs, protein, fat, fiber.
  • Tresiel
    Tresiel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Carbs

Fat

Protein

Sugar

Iron
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Carbs, Fat, Protein, Fibre and Sugar. I don't eat much processed or restaurant food, so I'm less concerned with sodium.