using applesauce to bake?

hey all! i just wanted to know if any of you use applesauce to bake desserts or anything else. I wanted to make some Banana Nut Bread from scratch using applesauce just now sure how much to use in the place of sugar or half of the sugar :D

Replies

• hey all! i just wanted to know if any of you use applesauce to bake desserts or anything else. I wanted to make some Banana Nut Bread from scratch using applesauce just now sure how much to use in the place of sugar or half of the sugar :D
  • keepnfaith
    keepnfaith Posts: 34 Member
    Hi
    Yes I have and I have also used pureed prunes, you can't taste the prunes and I think it is better than applesauce. I just recently read about using canned pumpkin too but I haven't tried that yet! I used applesauce and prunes in place of the fats not sugar?
    Hope this helps
    keepnfaith88222.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    I use apple sauce all the time! My husband and kids can never tell:devil: . If the recipe calls for oil,i use the same amount in applesauce(unsweetend) Everything comes out delish, never dry.

Ive got a banana nut bread recipe that I make all the time...i use applesauce in it! Its delish!
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    I too cook with applesauce in place of oil. but not sugars.

Any cake mix that calls for oil, replace with same amount of applesauce.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    apple sauce is a substitute for fats in recipes but be careful because things like banana bread sometimes come out gooey and not so great. I love using it in cupcakes, brownies etc but for bread I use 1/2 the fat and 1/2 applesauce.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    I was making macaroni and cheese and realized I didn't have any kind of butter, since I was already half way making it I decided to try applesauce instead:blushing: I know sounds gross huh!. Hubby didn't even notice actually said it was good, although I thought it tasted kind of bland, but I knew and he didn't. Now I use the I can't believe it's not butter lite spread with fat free milk and it comes out really good.
    I also made devils food cake with canned pumpkin and it came out really good, too good in fact. I don't eat cake that often but it is definitely a good back up plan for when I have to make one. You wouldn't even know there was pumpkin in it.
  • lol great job fooling the DH it'll be our little secret :p
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Canned pure pumpkin works well too. And I like the taste. I have used applesauce also. Just to clarify you're replacing oils with these items, not sugars. If you need to cut the sugar try using an artificial sweetener... I like to just use sugar though, not a big fan of artificial.
  • i love regular sugar! Artificial sweetner makes me feel weird and gives me a headache. Even Kool-Aid singles do the same thing :mad: i love them though :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    If you are trying to cut sugar just quit eating so much crap! :laugh:

ARtificial sweetners are nasty (my opinion) and it is being linked to obesity because the body doesn't recognize it and it doesn't necessarily dispose of it either.

My opinion, the more natural the better! Would you just eat chemicals, because all artificial sweetners are loaded with chemicals....even the beloved splenda!
  • keepnfaith
    keepnfaith Posts: 34 Member
    AMEN nichole, amen
    :happy:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    I have used unsweetened organic cinnamon apple sauce for Muffins instead of sugar and replaced 1 cup of sugar for 1 cup of the sauce.:smile: