(50+) 1400 calories + new gym pass = weight gain

Options
I was doing pretty well on 1200 calories a day, almost back to the weight I wanted to be (I'm 51, 5'5, about 130 pounds).
Started going to the gym. Did not eat back all those luxurious points MFP gave me - and glad I didn't, because now I'm almost back to where I was before I started on the 1200 calories. So I'm assuming 1400 is way too much, even with exercice.
I stopped weighing myself, I just use the "will never lie beige pants" for control.
Before the gym, I would do light exercising 6 days a week. Now it's not as light - elliptical + weight training 6 days a week, and I might throw in some zumba.

So now I'm not sure what numbers to use. 1200 calories + 50 exercice calories? 100 exercice calories? I lose weight so slowly now that it's hard to tell.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is probably fluid retention or you are eating more than you think.

Your BMI is already on the low side, how much weight are you wanting to lose?
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eating back about 1/2 of the exercise calories has been working for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention occurs when you start a new exercise program as your muscles hold onto it. Very normal, give it a couple of weeks.
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, I did not know that starting a new exercice routine could cause water retention. I thought it was going to be the opposite. Thanks for your response!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    You are at a low BMI and normal weight for your height. You might not lose anymore, but become more toned. Look at how your clothes fit rather than at the scale. A heavier workout is going to build some muscle.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is already on the low side, how much weight are you wanting to lose?
    Huh? BMI is pretty much smack in the middle of "normal" range.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    BMI means nothing. Mine is right smack dab in the middle of the normal range too, but I got a gut still.

Anyway, I agree with what the others have posted about retaining water. Much more likely when starting an exercise routine. As long as you aren't eating more calories than you think you are, then that will pass and things will start moving along again.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can DEFINITELY gain weight (water weight) from starting a new exercise program. You'll have to play around with calories to see what works for your body. For me, when I'm "overweight" I don't eat any of the exercise calories back. When I'm at a technically "healthy" weight (like now) but want to lose more, I eat ½ of my exercise calories back. If I don't eat at least ½ of the exercise calories back my weight won't change, kinda like my body holds onto to everything it has.

For reference I'm 5'10", weigh 161lbs, goal 145lbs. Technically "healthy" for my height is 174-129lbs, so while my 161lbs isn't overweight, I'm hoping to get closer to the middle of that range. I definitely had to change my eating to continue losing weight once I got around 170ish.

I get 1700ish calories from MFP (set on lose 1lb/week) and typically burn about 500 a day in exercise (6-7 days a week).
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've been continuing to play around with the exercice calories, and noticed that they are exactly like the rest of me : totally not reliable when it comes to food. By that, I mean that if I overreat slightly, I'll just add more exercice calories, regarless of what MFP says - usually the calorie count is outrageous anyway. Other days, I feel like a saint, I've exerciced for more than an hour, I ate only 1200 calories or less - then I just don't add the exercice calories because I feel better about myself.

Since I refuse to weigh myself for the time being, there is no way of finding out how I'm doing, other than putting on my never lie never cheat beige pants. I'll do that later.

So this new system is giving me more emotional straws to play with. I exercice no matter what, as I have for the past 25 years - albeit a little harder than what I used to do.

Who knows. I'll either gain or lose.