Good and bad calories

Options
Hello!
Plese, i would like to discuss good and bad calories in food!

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a measurement of energy food provides. I don't think you mean good or bad calories. Maybe you are referring to good or bad foods? Some people feel certain foods and even food groups are "bad" for them. Others do not.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

In my opinion (and experience), attaching "good" or "bad" to different calorie sources is totally counterproductive.

Best,
    J.R.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If the expiration date has passed, then I'd assume the calories are bad
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Calories are not good or bad.
    Definition of calorie:
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Calorie+(unit)

1. A unit of energy-producing potential supplied by food and released upon oxidation by the body, equal to the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1°C at one atmosphere pressure. Also called nutritionist's calorie.

What is your real question?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Bad ones put me over my goal.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Bad:

brussel-sprouts.jpg

Good:

67e4835cc312c4040c7fdadd13f2d3a3.jpg

Edited for smaller pictures, sorry!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Food is neither good nor bad. It is food. Trying to assign human traits to your food is useless.
  • healthyNEWday4me
    Options
    HaHa ... that's hilarious!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Bad:

brussel-sprouts.jpg

Good:

67e4835cc312c4040c7fdadd13f2d3a3.jpg

Edited for smaller pictures, sorry!

Funny, I would gobble down those brussel sprouts but am so so on heavily frosted sweets.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    of course some foods are more nutritious than others (cake vs. veg) but at the end of the day when it come to weight loss alone..calories are calories and it's the number that will effect the amount you lose not where the number came from.

With that said junk food is so high in calories, you wouldn't be able to eat enough to stay full and stay at your target calorie goal.....for me i see bad calories as white bread, potatoes, high sugar anything, white rice, ect things with no nutritional value versus sweet potatoes, brown rice, fish, chicken, salad, veg, nuts, yogurt ect
  • pilvi3
    pilvi3 Posts: 200
    Options
    I don't understand.

Few weeks ago there were amased comments how I do not know about the topic:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Now it seems that noone knows what I talk about at all.
    Hm...I don't know what to think now...
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

what you are referring too is empty calories - foods with little or no nutrition , just calories, think cookies ,cake, Doritos,highly refined foods, etc. - compare that too foods with good nutrition - meat, veggies, fruit, - you get the idea. - She's just using the words good and bad - Eastcoast Jim
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

Are you trying to incite a flame war by your flame-baiting topic?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I smell a troll post.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Some bad calories are good. Some good calories are bad.

Hope that helps. Here's a flower :flowerforyou:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    "Funny, I would gobble down those brussel sprouts but am so so on heavily frosted sweets."

I'm with you. Those look like well-cooked brussels too. Yum.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I smell a troll :huh: :huh:

frtrll.gif
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I looked at the site you posted and and it leads to the book by Gary Taubes called Good Calories, Bad Calories.

The problem with most diet books is that they take a bit of scientific information, or several random bits of information and leap to conclusions. It's taking things to "logical extremes." It's great for writing sensationalist diet books that sell but not very good science.

To learn more about nutrition, go to a source that isn't trying to sell you anything like the NutritionSource. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

You have to embrace ambiguity in all this. No one has all the answers about the human body and nutrition. As new scientific knowledge is amassed, we have to be ready to change our beliefs in response to what is known. For example, right now, the newer evidence is indicating that carbohydrates are more problematic for cardiovascular health than some fats. The idea of the fat free diet, which had been espoused as healthy, is now being questioned.

Does this adjustment to the accumulated knowledge about fats and carbohydrates mean we should all leap to eating diets heavy in fat and light in carbohydrates? The science isn't saying this for sure yet but that doesn't prevent mendacious diet-book shills from saying it is fact.

What we need to do in the meantime is learn about the nutrional aspects of foods and make our eating choices, based on science not on marketing.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A calorie, at its basest level, is just the same as any other calorie (yeah, yeah, flame on).

HOWEVER, it is much more conducive to a healthy body to consume the majority of your calories from nutrient rich sources (lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, dairy and whole grains).