Coffee Creamer

Options
I have decided to try and cut diet cokes out of my diet completely. As an addict, I am not too happy about this, but I know the pros will outweigh the cons. I love coffee, but I love to have what my husband calls "cream of coffee soup" which consists of mostly creamer. I do not like the taste of sugar free or low fat and I guess have to get acclimated. Can you guys tell me what you do to cream your coffee? I have done almond milk and stevia in the past, but I really don't want to give up the taste of the creamer, especially when I'm cutting calories out elsewhere. Any creamers that you guys just love?

Replies

• crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use full fat flavored creamer. Right now, it's International Delight Irish Cream until pumpkin spice or peppermint mocha comes out. Just make sure you do measure it out with a tablespoon and don't just eyeball. I will always make room in my calorie count for a cup of coffee with three to four tablespoons of creamer in it, even if it means giving up a treat later in the day. I realize that I might be an addict with coffee and creamer, but, honestly? There are a lot worse things to be addicted to.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Of course, actual half & half is the bomb. No, not fat-free "half & half" which is actually skim milk plus lots of emulsifiers, thickeners and sugar to make it palatable. I mean the real thing. A tablespoon of it is only 20 calories.

The first two ingredients for Land'o'Lakes half & half are milk and cream. The first two ingredients for the same brand's "fat-free" version are skim milk and corn syrup.

It took awhile to adapt, but I now prefer my coffee without any sugar or sweetener. I usually use whole-milk Lactaid to keep the GERD at bay.

(Oh, and as an added bonus, tooth cleanings take less time and my hygienist is happy.)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is that these changes should be changes that you can realistically live with. My first recipe on MFP was ' My Coffee' 74 calories of my morning bliss :wink:

I use Coffee-mate Creamer and have coffee just about everyday (in fact I can't remember the last time I haven't had coffee), figure out the calories and/or create your recipe for your coffee and if at some point you choose to give it up, kudos! but if not, except it a just a part of life - one made better with coffee :smile:
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I use 2% milk. I really like it and have just got used to it. I actually even prefer it to half and half now. It's weird.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I use 2% milk. I really like it and have just got used to it. I actually even prefer it to half and half now. It's weird.

this^^^I'm really heavy handed with it . I do half milk and half coffee
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I use generous amounts of half & half with one packet of stevia. One thing I do to make it extra creamy / frothy is that I whip the cream and stevia with one of those electric wire whisks before adding the coffee. I got the whisk from Ikea for $2.99 - don't get the one at Bed Bath and Beyond - it's $19 there.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    International Delight White Chocolate Mocha

International Delight White Chocolate Raspberry

International Delight White Chocolate Macadamia

International Delight Caramel Macchiato

.....Any of the above favorites, a couple or three tablespoons per mug.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My husband likes the mocha flavors, but after I read the ingredients in International Delights products (water, sugar, palm oil, plus some other stuff. NO milk products!), he switched to adding full fat chocolate milk. He says it tastes great!
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Half and half or heavy whipping cream! Tastes lile creamer but better to me!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I use regular half and half. 1tbsp to each 8oz.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I use Coffeemate French Vanilla, the full fat/full sugar kind or Half & Half. I just have to fit it into my day because I know I always drink two cups in the morning.

Have you ever tried any flavored coffees? I find that when I buy flavored coffee like pumpkin, caramel etc. that I don't need to use as much or any creamer.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use nothing else but International Delight Hershey Chocolate and Caramel Creamer and pure can sugar. Total my travel mug coffee is 130 calories and worth every last calorie.....
  • Snailman44
    Options
    No creamers here. Silk almond milk is fantastic try that. As for diet pop you don't have to give it up it does not screw up your diet. People say it will indirectly make you crave sweets but im buying that at all.
  • sweetjess2056
    Options
    I use my international delight creamer as well :) Love it!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I used to buy all the flavored creamers but with time I have acquired a taste for quality coffee without a lot of added sweeteners. I use a tsp of coconut oil, blended in a magic bullet blender. It froths up nicely like a cappuccino and works great. I still flavor crappy coffee when I drink it, though.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is that these changes should be changes that you can realistically live with. My first recipe on MFP was ' My Coffee' 74 calories of my morning bliss :wink:

I use Coffee-mate Creamer and have coffee just about everyday (in fact I can't remember the last time I haven't had coffee), figure out the calories and/or create your recipe for your coffee and if at some point you choose to give it up, kudos! but if not, except it a just a part of life - one made better with coffee :smile:

nicely put. i lovelovelove my morning coffee... and when i started changing my eating habits, i tried exchanging my coffeemate creamer and sugar with alternatives, but nothing satisfied... and i don't drink coffee solely for the caffeine - i drink it because i enjoy it. one cup for me is 75 calories, and some days i have more than one cup. (although i try to reduce the sugar in any additional cups, otherwise i get a little -too- jittery..) and whats more... sometimes i'll stop at dunkin donuts and get an iced coffee with cream and sugar. noms.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm really into Coffee Mate Natural Bliss in Cinnamon Cream flavor right now. Two tbsp in my coffee every morning. Worth the calories to me :)
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm really into Coffee Mate Natural Bliss in Cinnamon Cream flavor right now. Two tbsp in my coffee every morning. Worth the calories to me :)

that sounds yummy. is it a liquid creamer?
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Once you go black, you never go back! Seriously.

I had many coffee transitions in the past 2 years. I went from drinking the same soup combo your husband describes --> black coffee with less creamer --> black coffee with heavy cream/half &half and brown sugar --> black coffee with heavy cream/half & half --> black coffee and coconut oil --> to black coffee with cinnamon --> just black.

I can never go back to anything but black. Invest in better coffee, not just the crappy Folgers. Once your taste buds adjust, you'll be amazed. I promise.
  • Su_ziq
    Su_ziq Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ugh... this is always a topic in my head. I have tried so many things - cause I hate drinking my calories. But I am a major coffee drinker. I have done milk mixed with a little vanilla extract....truvia (or xyla sweet -- love it) with fat free half n half. Right now I just bought a sugar free creamer (I.D.s chocolate almond biscotti) - but like you I don't dig the sugar free taste so I am diluting it with milk, 2% so it can be a bit more subtle.

I have found for me the trick is measuring it ... cause in the AM when I need my fix - I can eye out a pretty fat so-called "tbsp" pour of creamer. It makes a big difference when I actually use the tbsp to measure.

Surprisingly, when I go out to a cafe (which I do mon-fri with ppl from work) for iced coffee - I do like the sugar fee vanilla flavor added and then I put in skim milk. I guess it is just the sugar free creamer than isn't so great.