Is my goal weight too low?

Options
I would like some advice from people with knowledge in this field. I know what the BMI charts say, but I feel like BMI is very limited and I want some input.

I am 25 years old and 5'9" tall. Here are my current measurements:

Neck 13"
Chest 37"
Waist 27"
Hips 39"
Wrist 6"

My tiny wrist size tells me I have a small bone frame, so I am setting my goal weight at 140. Am I aiming too low? :/

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" too. I am large-framed (wide shoulders, long legs/arms, fairly wide hips) but small-boned. I was pretty healthy (size-wise) at 140. At one point I was down to 126 - which was horribly too skinny. I'm shooting for 150 now, because after having my son, I doubt I will ever get to 140 now in a healthy way, because my hips spread quite a bit during pregnancy.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think if you are a small frame 5'9 140 will look great on you. I am a wide frame 5'9 with broad shoulders, hips...all that and I got to 139 and I was skin and bones and my hip bones stuck out farthest on my body and my stomach went in...My goal weight is 145-150 now but anything lower than that is too thin for my body type! Good luck!
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I am a tiny bit over 5'9'' and my goal weight is 150-155. It took me a long time to determine this range for myself. According to those body frame charts I have a small frame because of my wrist, but I also have wide hips [39inchs] and I don't think they're going to get any smaller. 140 could be a great goal for you...but It's really all about how you feel at that weight, so it's possible that you may love your body at 150 or you might reach 140 & want to lose 5 more. It's personal preference and everyones body shape is so different. Good luck, girl!!!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I started out wanting to get to a weight that I thought was apropo for my height and frame. Now that I am 47 pounds lighter and have learned alot about weightloss, I am aiming for a body fat % of 18% which will be less than my initial goal weight-wise. I'm 6'2" and medium framed(wrist wrap test) and I was shooting for 190 from 260. 18% according to my current LBM on my bio-scale will be around 180. I recommend a BF% over a number on the scale. Your clothes will fit better at a lower BF% and your scale number won't be that important.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hey ladyhawk :) Thanks for the input. I like your more precise language: large frame but small boned. I have wide shoulders and hips too.

I've never been pregnant, so it sounds like 140 is an okay goal. What size pants were you wearing then?
  • bluedaizy
    bluedaizy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and medium frame. My goal is between 145 - 150. I think your goal weight is just right, but if you want a more accurate idea, you should probably talk with your doctor. Good luck!
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would agree with talking to your doctor. Also remember that looking at the scale might not be the best predictor? If you are muscular and look good at 150 then that is your best. Maybe when you get closer to what you think you should be at, you will change your mind. Healthy is always better. I would say keep that in mind and good luck!!
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    Lots of helpful posts, thank you everyone. (This is why I like MFP so much.) Anyway, my doctor is a nice guy and good at what he does, but he can be kind of vague with questions of weight.

How would I get my body fat % measured?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Hey ladyhawk :) Thanks for the input. I like your more precise language: large frame but small boned. I have wide shoulders and hips too.

I've never been pregnant, so it sounds like 140 is an okay goal. What size pants were you wearing then?

At 140 I was usually in an 8. I often had to buy a 10 to be long enough for my legs, though.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Lots of helpful posts, thank you everyone. (This is why I like MFP so much.) Anyway, my doctor is a nice guy and good at what he does, but he can be kind of vague with questions of weight.

How would I get my body fat % measured?

I have a biometric scale from Walmart ...clearance last yr. for $25.... Online search for "body fat caliper" they are as little as $5. And w/ these the cheap one is the easiest and very accurate.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Dang double post!! :grumble:
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    Thanks runningneo, very helpful! And everyone else who posted as well :)
  • Lauz_88
    Lauz_88 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm 22 and 5ft 9in. My starting weight before joing MFP was 190lbs and when I joined I was 182. I'm now down to 175.8 Like you my goal weight is 140lbs and I think that will look ok on someone with a 5ft 9in height, but I wouldn't go any lower. Add me as a friend if you like, we're the same height, similar age, similar weight and same goal lol. Laura