Newbie with fascination of nutrition/looking for friends

Options
Hello, my name is Mike and I am in pharmacy school at the University of Wyoming. I have always been in relatively good shape, played sports in high school and even started into the running scene a few years ago (have a lot of 5K's, 10K's and a half marathon on my belt). My next challenge will be another half marathon in May. Over the last month, I have been getting into nutrition and eating the right foods (I have always been active but probably didn't make the right food assessments at times). So...I downloaded the myfitnesspal app and I have been AMAZED at the change it has made in my life in the selection of foods and the overall awareness of what I am putting into my body. I have already been decreasing in weight and now I want to re-define my core...and loss unneeded fat.

So, I just want to say good luck to other people out there and want to let you know that you can add me as a friend if you want and we can all accomplish our goals together :)

Replies

• Shawnarose
    Shawnarose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    Glad I seen your post and welcome aboard! I need help in the nutrition department and could use someone to bounce some ideas off of, if you have the time? I am trying to make some permanent life style changes!
    You will see this site is great.
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    it really makes you more aware...I am new but really love this site.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is a great site. When I first started I was amazed at how many calories were in what I was eating and have really been paying attention to trying to eat better. So far it's helped me a lot and I'm eating more fruits, veggies and basically healthier foods. I've just started running and am hoping to do a 5K sometime this year although I don't know when. I'm just trying to maintain my weight right now while still getting in good workouts to tone up more and doing some strength training, so I need to make sure I'm eating healthy and getting enough calories. Good luck :smile:
  • dav1emc
    Options
    well done ;)
  • hollyagl75
    Options
    Good luck Mike. I am pretty new to the site but have already seen a change. I need to be held accountable for my eating so I connected this to my facebook account as to make sure I am sticking to it! Best of luck!
  • drshadowblack
    drshadowblack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is all so true. I went to Five Guys Burgers yesterday and checked what I ate afterwards (which is something I would have never done in the fast). The total caloric input was 1540!!! Needless to say, next time I go there (if there is a next time), I will be going conservative on the meal :)
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    welcome mike to the mfp family