Toning balls

Options
So is this a good starter for strength training the stomach muscles? I found a 10 minute video that shows different ways to use it with reps, but idk if it will be something worthwhile to buy. Saw the ball at walmart and am curious if anyone uses one?

Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is not what I thought this topic was going to be about.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I'm with you on that one...........
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Oops. Is that not what they're called?
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Darn it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Bah-ha! Gross. :laugh:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Ben Wa?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    In for the Ben Wa 30 Day Challenge!
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I would try kegels first
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I ♥ this
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You saw it at Walmart?
  • Aint_Misbehavin
    Aint_Misbehavin Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You saw it at Walmart?

This is why I avoid Walmart if at all possible, you never know what you're going to see there.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

lol.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    How hard do you have to hit them to make them emit a tone?

Never mind, I don't wanna know.
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Am i missing something? :O
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "toning" balls. Whether it's pink, green, black, or grey, it's a weighted ball and provides resistance. One could do a lot of the same exercises holding a dumbell. That doesn't make it a "toning" dumbell.

This whole "toning" vernacular is disguising the word "lifting" so it sounds like it's some sort of lifting for women. To set the record straight, men and women basically have the same type of muscles (fast/slow twitch) and they work the same way to lift resistance. The fitness industry basically made up this word "toning", to appeal to women and keep them spending money since they knew that women would spend more money than men on physical improvement.

To the OP: just use bodyweight for now. If you want to add resistance, use a dumbell or even a plated weight (if you have them). There are so many ways to strengthen abs without having to buy any equipment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Oops. Is that not what they're called?
    higgins, No that's exactly what they are called. There are several types, not sure if you're looking to get Toning balls for Pilates or weighted balls. There are a number of things called "toning balls" when I Googled and checked out Amazon.

If you are speaking of Pilates weighted workout balls, most definitely they are worth buying! If you're talking about weighted medicine balls those make a great workout as well. I'm not exactly sure which type you're actually referring to.

Google to see photos or PM and I can help you from there. :drinker: Though ninerbuff is a trainer so He might be more help than I if you are speaking of something different than the types I referred to above.:smile:

Hearts:heart:

Edited: Ninerbuff makes some good points regarding the word "toning" balls... toning is a word that is used for product names occasionally to catch ppl's attention but as he explained above they can build muscle (which is really what some mean when they use the word toning.) The word toning can be misleading.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Toning balls sounds like Ben-Wa balls. Google kegel exercises and Ben-Wa balls though I don't recommend Googling that from a work computer. Those are for vaginal fitness, shall we say.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Toning balls sounds like Ben-Wa balls. Google kegel exercises and Ben-Wa balls though I don't recommend Googling that from a work computer. Those are for vaginal fitness, shall we say.
    This is not what she's referring too.:noway: