How have I only just realised how great low-carb is?!

Options
123457»

Replies

• CaliopeCupcake
    Options
    Eat too many carbs and you start to crave them constantly! High protein diet has been around forever and it is always a success; plus your appetite decreases substantially. Dad was manager of the Beverly Hills Health Club in Hollywood on Sunset Bl 1956-57-58 and he and the other weight lifters were doing it then. His trainer John Grimeck, Mr. Universe 1939, who created York Barbell company in York PA, did hi pro as well. Their only carb was oatmeal twice day before workouts. Dr. Stillman made it popular again with his high protein diet book in 1968 when I was in college [no carbs at all] and Dr. Adkins did the same in the 80s but added fats. Dad, Sis & I every night and we all got very lean for two decades. You need to drink lots of water to flush out the ketones--by-product of protein synthesis.

I used to be a blur and now I'm a blob!! Not really, but need to loose 20lbs. and am going back to 6 small meals a day for 5 days. If you start at 8 or 9 a.m., eat every two hours, then your last meal will be at 6 or 7 p.m. It works quickly, you wont get hungry or tired unless you do not sleep at lest 8 hours a day.

For females:

1] 1/2 C oatmeal cooked, 3 egg whites cooked, 1 Tb coconut oil --really good in the oatmeal
    2] 2/3 C grilled or boiled chicken, 1/2 C boiled or steamed yams
    3] 2/3 C steamed fish, 1 C steamed vegetables
    4] 2/3 C grilled or boiled chicken, 1 C steamed vegetables, 1 Tb coconut oil
    5] 2/3 C steamed fish, 1 C steamed vegetables, 1 Tb coconut oil
    6] 2/3 C ground extra lean turkey, 1 C steamed vegetables, 1 Tb coconut oil

For males: double both fish entrees, and double the vegs. in the 4th

You can add 2 fruits on Sat & Sun. When you are ready to maintain, add more carbs slowly and limit them to 10-20%--whatever works best or you.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Obviously of yor body doesn't have glucose it's not the main source of energy but then you crave it and that's what makes people break their diet. I do know what reactive eating is, please don't lecture me about that. You're just more likely, in my observation, to engage in it after low carbing. I'm only stating what I've observed in many people I know who have struggled with their weight, on and off low carb diets, over the years. That's why I asked if people could send some long term success stories my way. I'm not writing it off, I'm just curious because I see many posts here like 'I've been low carbing for 3 months and it's great!' which is so in line with what I've observed in my friends. I'm sure it is, but come back to me in three years and I might be more convinced.

If you're taking 3 years to cut weight, you were either really, really big or you're being slack about it. As I said earlier, it's stupid to think that you need to eat the same way you do today for the rest of your life. This argument pops up from time to time on these boards but it's just nonsense. People switch up their macros and routine all the time. Just because you eat low carb for 6 months or a year doesn't mean you have to continue eating low carb for 3, 5, or 15 years. Not to mention, I'd bet if you were to look at the average balanced macro, calorie restricted dieter and where they're at 3 years from now, it'd be a pretty bleak picture. The fact that you seem to think long-term success rates are only bleak for low carb dieters just says to me you aren't up to speed on the relevant statistics. Long-term success rates are low across the board.

As for cravings, not everyone gets cravings, especially specific glucose-related cravings, and not everyone struggles with binge eating or "reactive eating" - whatever that is - nor is everyone who chooses to do low carb ignorant about how calorie deficits work. And as for cravings being what make you break your diet, lack of willpower is what makes you unintentionally break your diet. Blaming it on your "cravings" is just an excuse to point the finger at something other than yourself.
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    if you lose a lot of weight too fast, you get flabby
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Obviously of yor body doesn't have glucose it's not the main source of energy but then you crave it and that's what makes people break their diet. I do know what reactive eating is, please don't lecture me about that. You're just more likely, in my observation, to engage in it after low carbing. I'm only stating what I've observed in many people I know who have struggled with their weight, on and off low carb diets, over the years. That's why I asked if people could send some long term success stories my way. I'm not writing it off, I'm just curious because I see many posts here like 'I've been low carbing for 3 months and it's great!' which is so in line with what I've observed in my friends. I'm sure it is, but come back to me in three years and I might be more convinced.

I'm trying to say this kindly, so please don't confuse what I have to say for nastiness. It is clear from your comments that you are not well read on ketogenic diets as you lack basic understanding of the underlying science and what happens to a person's body when their body is in a ketogenic state. I have no doubt that you've observed people with low carb diets who've gone off of them, binged on sugar as a result of feeling deprived, and gained all their weight back. I'd bet if you think about it you probably know a lot of people who've gone the CICO route who've done the same thing. Are you aware of the term "confirmation bias?" It's a sociological term that put simply means people will always see evidence that confirms their underlying biases. You feel low carb is a fad that destines people to failure? Then you will find "proof"of that everywhere. You feel CICO is the best route? You will find "proof" of that everywhere.

Also, a person who is truly eating very low carb will NOT experience cravings anymore. If they are experiencing cravings for sugar, it's because they're still eating it. To be truly successful on low carb all forms of sugar need to be cut out. This includes hidden sugar in condiments, meats, etc...I wonder if the people you're referring to who "broke their diet" because they were craving sugar were still consuming more sugar than they realized. It is sugar consumption that makes us crave sugar. Once it's out of the system it's pretty easy to avoid.

What you have missed and what I stated in a previous comment is that many people who find the low carb lifestyle have already done whole, unprocessed foods, balanced macros (according to prevailing thought), CICO, and moderate exercise. And many of us have frustration and lack of progress to show for it! What you don't understand is that hormones greatly impact a person's ability to lose weight. If a person's hormones and/or blood sugar are out of whack, CICO will not help them to lose weight.

I started my weight loss journey in 2012. I initially lost some weight with CICO. I lifted weights. I took up running. I ran races. I was truly enjoying myself and feeling healthy. There was only one problem. The scale stuck. And stuck. And stuck. I had a plateau that lasted for a year and a half. My doctor and I adjusted thyroid levels and even addressed the poor health of my adrenal glands. Nothing.

In January of this year I switched to keto. My hormones balanced themselves. How do I know? I started losing weight again. This was not just water weight - only the initial portion of any weight loss can be attributed to water weight and that's true of CICO also. AND, a big one for me, three months later I ended up pregnant. You may not understand much about fertility, but I can tell you from prior experience that if hormones are not balanced a woman will not conceive or she will need supplementation in order to conceive. When I conceived my prior child I had to supplement with progesterone in order to do so. This time? No supplementation at all. I'm a firm believer in the ability of keto to balance hormones, something that the research backs up as well as something that my doctor confirmed. I asked him about being on keto while pregnant and he said low carb is the best way for me to eat during pregnancy!

My friend who has had her cancerous thyroid removed was told by her doctor to eat keto for the rest of her life in order to prevent cancer from returning.

Much of the literature talks about these kinds of benefits. You want to know long term success? Google Maria Emmerich. Or better yet, visit her website and see how long she has successfully eaten low carb.

http://www.mariamindbodyhealth.com

I realize that what I've done is only provided anecdotal evidence, which is really no concrete evidence at all. But neither is anything you've said. If you want a true understanding of how low carb works, then you will need to read the research. If you don't want to understand and prefer to remain uneducated on the matter, then why post in a low carb thread. I don't see the point in posting in a thread about something that I have little knowledge about. I'm not sure why other people feel the need to do it??

Anyways, OP, congrats on your success. I hope you find the proper support and resources so that you can keep this as a lifestyle. There are so many ways in which keto can improve your health. If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest looking for low carb high fat groups on facebook as well as googling some of your favorite dishes, just with the words low carb in front of them. I just made a low-carb cheesecake last night that was delicious! There's delicious food everywhere in the world of low carb. Welcome!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • valentine142
    Options
    Update 3- So, I've been doing a low carb diet (pro-energy) for 4 weeks now, I had my 4th weigh in on Friday and was still very happy and impressed. Last week I was down another 4.8 lbs, 26 lbs to date. I've really enjoyed how I feel with reducing carbs in my diet. I also have cooked more now than I have in ages. Although I have a lot or pre-packaged pro-energy "plan food" I've been enjoying being creative with the meals I do cook. Tonight I tried cauliflower pizza crust and although it was very different from traditional pizza it was still very tasty. I also have fallen in love with miracle noodles and miracle rice! Does anyone else have yummy recipes they'd like to share? I'm always looking for new tasty meal ideas! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!