How to be more even?

Options
I just started doing weights with my arms. I am doing free weights (5lbs). I am starting to see results on my left arm and can feel muscles. However my right arm shows nothing (I am right handed). I do the motions at the same time so it is the same number of reps.

Should I up the wight on my right arm to (10lbs)? Should I start doing the reps one side at a time?
Or will it just take time to equal out.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It'll probably just take time to even out. Increase the weight to 10 lb on BOTH sides (and keep increasing) and get the best out of your 'newbie gains' :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I show results on my right arm much faster than my left. I'm right-handed. I've been mindful of doing more reps with the left side and more weight. That seems to help. Also, I try to use my left arm more for daily activities like carrying things.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I think everyone had a more dominate side that is stronger. It will just take a while to even out.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I think everyone had a more dominate side that is stronger. It will just take a while to even out.

That's true and that's what I see, but the original poster has a different problem. Her non-dominant side is stronger and more defined.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

That's true and that's what I see, but the original poster has a different problem. Her non-dominant side is stronger and more defined.

Which is probably a result of having a dominate stronger side.....
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always do the exact same on each side, but my right arm is slightly (say ¼ inch) bigger than my left.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

My non-dominant side was stronger until I upped things like my db press from 35# to 55#. Now my left has quickly surpassed my right (non-dom) side.

It's just a matter of putting in the work, and keeping things symmetrical with effort and weights.