Net cals vs.Cals

Options
Ok just to verify I am not asking what the difference is. I understand what the difference is. I just need to know are you supposed to eat atleast 1200 net cals everyday??? or is it just 1200 cals??? I am confused on how much i should actually be eating. I usually eat anywhere from 1300-1500 but I work out a lot. (like i burn about 800 cals a day---i have a HRM so i know it is accurate and I am not overestimating) I was looking at my net cals for the last 30 days I usually never reach 1200 net cals a day....so my question is....in order for my body to stay out of starvation mode does that mean i need 1200 net cals a day or just eat atleast 1200 cals??? Please Help!!! I am so confused and I am not losing weight but I am scared to up my cals because I am scared I will gain weight!! Do you eat atleast 1200 net cals daily???

Replies

• smallmall
    Options
    You need to eat the calories that you burn, so if you burn 800 calories by exercising and your total calories for the day to eat should be 2000. Otherwise you would only eat 400 and your body would not survive on that amount of food for long.

Sarah NASM Certified Personal Trainer
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    All of the articles I have read on MFP say it's important to eat the net calories. Meaning eating the calories you burn from excercise. They say it is really important to do this when you are down to your last 10-20 lbs to lose as your body needs the extra calories to burn and increase your metabolism. Looking at your ticker it looks like you would be ok with just consuming 1200 calories and not consuming the extra calories you burn.
    For myself, I have a long way to go so I am only consuming the calories that MFP suggested and not eating the 600 calories that I burn daily with excercise and I am losing 1-2 lbs a week.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You need to eat the calories that you burn, so if you burn 800 calories by exercising and your total calories for the day to eat should be 2000. Otherwise you would only eat 400 and your body would not survive on that amount of food for long.

Sarah NASM Certified Personal Trainer

Thank you so much!!! Thats all i needed to know!!! :)
  • jessimacar
    Options
    Ideally, your "net" calories should be 1200 at the end of the day if that is your goal. You're supposed to eat the 1200 AND your exercise calories. The program is designed to provide a calorie deficit so you lose weight without exercising. Although, we all know it's healthier to exercise too!