Why do people have weight loss surgery?

Options
Just wondering. I was watching some show on tv about this person eating whatever they want because they're planning on having weight loss surgery later anyway, so they figured screw it. Won't try to eat healthy. The surgery will fix the fatness! Then I watched something on YouTube about someone having a lap band put in and they lost a bunch of weight quickly and then...ate a bunch of crap all over again and gained the weight back, stretching out their stomach again.

I know there must be a legit reason people have it and I'm probably getting the wrong idea watching these programs so I'm asking, why do people get it instead of just eating healthier and getting some exercise? It must take a lot of stuffing your face to maintain at 500 lbs. like you really have to work at it. So I'm assuming even at 3,000 calories a day, they would lose a bunch of weight. How can having surgery be their best option, considering cost and health risks associated with having an operation? Isn't gastric bypass the same as just eat less, but being forced to do it cause your stomach is smaller? My brain hurts

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You know how people filing bankruptcy go out and start maxing out their credit cards? (Losers) Same basic concept. I would say that with few exceptions (because there are medical necessities sometimes), people don't want to put the work in. This site shows hundreds of people who have lost 200- 300 pounds so it proves WORKING it, it CAN be done.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I can understand it a procedure is done for emergency medical reasons. If a person's life is in danger and WLS is the best option, then we must do all we can to preserve that life. Otherwise, no, I don't agree with having WLS if you have the ability to lose it any other way. It should be a last resort.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Because some people think it's simpler to amputate parts of their body than put in actual effort to change how they eat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You know how people filing bankruptcy go out and start maxing out their credit cards? (Losers) Same basic concept. I would say that with few exceptions (because there are medical necessities sometimes), people don't want to put the work in.

I actually disagree with this at least as far as a statement representing the majority.

So we all know that creating a calorie deficit leads to fat loss and consequently it becomes very easy to say that people who aren't able to do this are simply lazy slobs who can't manage to get off the couch and put the fork down. I think that's a presumptuous stance to take.

I would have to imagine that most people who are considering surgery to help them lose weight have already made several attempts to try to lose fat in the past but they have simply failed. Why did they fail? Because it's really freakin' difficult to do, and it's especially difficult to sustain, and weight loss statistics probably confirm this.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My guess is, the said 500 lb person repeatedly tries to lose weight by eating 1200 calories of chicken and veg. Outside of MFP it seems the phrase " it's not a sprint, it's a marathon" is fairly common - except when it comes to improving your nutrition and getting healthy. Thine diet must be overhauled overnight else you're not doing it right. Surprisingly the diet fails, and, compounded with any emotional issues the person has they just keep getting bigger. Hence the perceived need for medical intervention. IMO :smile:
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery in May of 2006 and still have to watch what I eat and workout daily. Weight loss surgery is like a screwdriver. If you put a screwdriver on the table, it does nothing all by it's self. You must pick it up and use it to complete the job. People want something for nothing and trust me weight loss surgery just does not work that way. One other thing. When I had my surgery you had to undergo a physic evaluation before you could be considered. Out of the 20 of us that started together, only 3 were able to have the surgery.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    You know how people filing bankruptcy go out and start maxing out their credit cards? (Losers) Same basic concept. I would say that with few exceptions (because there are medical necessities sometimes), people don't want to put the work in. This site shows hundreds of people who have lost 200- 300 pounds so it proves WORKING it, it CAN be done.

That's a broad brush you are painting with.

Bit harsh to call people who have weight loss surgery ' losers' with the meaning you intended.

I haven't had such surgery and do not intend to, but I would say a lot of people who do have put the work in, and have done so many times, however, they haven't been successful for whatever reasons. Sure no doubt there would be a small percentage who would perceive it as an easy option, but I guarantee they soon change that perception as such surgery is not easy and neither is the way they have chosen to lose the adjournment can be a hard slog.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass patient here. People who get WLS generally do it because they need to lose weight, have tried everything else and for whatever reason it hasn't worked for them; the compulsion to overeat is stronger than the need/desire to lose weight.

As for the people binging before getting surgery, or actively working against themselves post-surgery... What surgeon is actually going ahead with these surgeries??? The process I had to go through was long and complicated and involved a lot of education, psych evals, nutritional guidance... These idiots wouldn't have made the cut.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options

I haven't had such surgery and do not intend to, but I would say a lot of people who do have put the work in, and have done so many times, however, they haven't been successful for whatever reasons. Sure no doubt there would be a small percentage who would perceive it as an easy option, but I guarantee they soon change tha http://www.flat-chat.com.au/forum/renters-rants/tenants-shut-door-on-open-house-inspections/ t perception as such surgery is not easy and neither is the way they have chosen to lose the adjournment can be a hard slog.

I so dislike auto correct....adjournment should be 'and neither is the way they have chosen to lose the WEIGHT IT can be a hard slog'
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Because some people think it's simpler to amputate parts of their body than put in actual effort to change how they eat.

Right, because losing weight with WLS requires no "actual effort." You're clearly a scholar on the matter and know what you're talking about. Your opinion is well-informed and valuable.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think WLS is a personal choice. While I might not have it, it is not up to me to judge those who do. I did research what was involved and felt that I was not really a good candidate. I am morbidly obese according to charts.
    Reasons for not having the surgery: expensive, follow up appts out of town to have the band adjusted, and the kicker for me, if you eat too much after surgery you will vomit. Sounds basic but that is why I chose not to have surgery.

Reasons one might consider, so obese that it is affecting their health, the desire to lose weight, the feeling that they just can't lose the weight otherwise.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    even for people who are bedridden, i've seen documentaries where they were able to lose the weight just by simply raising their arms up and down while sitting for exercise (as well as a slight calorie deficit.) idk though i don't know how it feels for the people who have to consider WLS. i will always be a firm believer in doing things the natural/healthy way. if the only reason for WLS is lack of willpower, its hard for me to feel sympathy
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

That's a broad brush you are painting with.

Bit harsh to call people who have weight loss surgery ' losers' with the meaning you intended.

I haven't had such surgery and do not intend to, but I would say a lot of people who do have put the work in, and have done so many times, however, they haven't been successful for whatever reasons. Sure no doubt there would be a small percentage who would perceive it as an easy option, but I guarantee they soon change that perception as such surgery is not easy and neither is the way they have chosen to lose the adjournment can be a hard slog.
    Actually, I was calling the people that do the bankruptcy thing losers (pet peeve of mine).This probably wasn't the best analogy, but was what came to mind when he said they knew they were doing it and went on to eat whatever they wanted The OP asked why some people get it INSTEAD of eating healthier and exercising. My response was that with the exceptions of medically necessary, people don't want to put the work in.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    alot of them gain it back, don't change their habits.....
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons why someone chooses to get WLS, none of which are any of mine or anyone else's business.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but coming from 315 lbs to 199, and failing several times prior (now its my life, I eat to get stronger or leaner, always with a purpose), I simply cannot buy into the whole it was my only option thing. If you want something bad enough, you will achieve it, and to insinuate that a 500 lb person would need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight is just absurd. A 500 lb person could cut weight on a ridiculously high number of calories. All the weight loss surgeries in the universe are not going to stop someone with no self control from stuffing their reduced stomach with super calorie dense food, and on the other end of the spectrum lets say they decide now that they have lost weight, they now want to build muscle..... well good luck doing that with food restrictions. If you want to lose weight, do it by changing your lifestyle, not by forced restrictions. But do what ever you wanna do.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had a multitude of health problems and would have done the weight loss surgery if I could. But those same health problems actually worked against me so it never happened. I know people who have had it and it is not an easy decision to make, nor is it just living on easy street once it is done.

TV shows are not a picture of reality for most people choosing to go that route. TV's job is to keep you watching. Unfortunately real life for most people is not TV worthy so it ends up depicting the worst aspects of society.

I wouldn't judge all people by one person's actions on a TV show.

And the reasons for weight loss surgery would be different for everyone, but in the majority of cases, it would be a last resort as they have tried other things. But I would think it's never a decision taken lightly and flippantly. In a lot of cases, people actually do have to lose weight before having the surgery - again TV is not reality nor should it be taken as such...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass patient here. People who get WLS generally do it because they need to lose weight, have tried everything else and for whatever reason it hasn't worked for them; the compulsion to overeat is stronger than the need/desire to lose weight.

As for the people binging before getting surgery, or actively working against themselves post-surgery... What surgeon is actually going ahead with these surgeries??? The process I had to go through was long and complicated and involved a lot of education, psych evals, nutritional guidance... These idiots wouldn't have made the cut.

I actually thought that many have to lose a certain amount before they will be allowed surgery (possibly due to the increased risks of being under anesthetics while morbidly obese). I could be wrong here though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    alot of them gain it back, don't change their habits.....

So does anyone who has dieted. I think the 'failure' rate is about 90%.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ this.

For a lot of people WLS is not a simple solution. It comes with its own complications and restrictions.

As the poster above mentioned most that choose this route do it as a last resort and after years of battling losing and regaining weight.

I think a lot of people making broad sweeping statements do so because they are uneducated about the process and the eating restrictions that occur afterwards.

Yes like in anything in life a minority of people will abuse it after they have it done. As far as the youtube clip and the TV program goes, I should think those two examples are sensationalised (was the TV program channel 4 by the way) and are definitely not the norm.

Most patients I think have to undertake a pre weight loss programme before the surgery.

OP I would suggest doing some proper research, rather than getting the opinions and comments from the misinformed. Maybe that will stop your head hurting!