Numbers are truth.

Options
In 28 days I feel like I should have more than 4.3 pounds of loss. I really believe it. I've worked sooooo hard, So in a tantrum-like episode, I decided to do my own calculations based on my daily logging. Surely the MFP calculator must be wrong!!
So I did the following calculation:
1. Got my TDEE again from fitnessfrog
2. TDEE multiplied by 28 days
3. Total actual net calories eaten added over 28 days
4. Obtained 28 day calorie deficit by #2 = #3
5. Divided total deficit by 3500 (the calories to lose 1 pound.)

The answer was, lo and behold: 4.3 pounds. Exactly.
Oh. So MFP works.
Got it.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    laughs, great job! Keep up the good work!
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Got it :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :huh: ok
  • Ansin529
    Ansin529 Posts: 47
    Options
    If I may ask: "Are you measuring yourself along the way...

Weekly measurements will provide you an accurate assessment of your progress... A scale may not document a substantial loss (as you hoped for), however your measurements will depict a gain in areas (due to exercise and strength training) and a loss in areas you worried about...

I am still learning as I go... Many of the calculators out there fail to factor in lean mass and total body fat... Because of this, our results based on following our calorie recommendations are off a bit... Try adjusting your calories + or - for a couple of weeks to see if you begin to see results again...

Good Luck and Keep Up the Good Work...

:)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's always nice when it works out so neatly. Good for you for doing the math. So few people do. Those deficits add up slowly, in reality! :smile:
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ummm It has taken me 6 months to lose eleven pounds. And I look better than ever. I am not upset. I am elated. Weight loss is not linear nor is it overnight. Don't vent. Lift.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am measuring. Slight progress there. Im just impatient ☺
    I actually intended this as a very pro-mfp post. Im typically suspicious of anybody that tells me weight loss is possible, and its exciting to see the formula working correctly here. I guess I wanted to inspire the other reluctant believers like myself with mathematical proof.
    next up for me is strength training. I hear building lean muscle helps increase metabolism. Going to give that a go ☺
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying! I have crazy ups and downs but every single time I divide my loss by the number of weeks I've been logging, I come up with an average loss of about 1.4 pounds per week. Right in line with my deficit!
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Cliff notes for mfp members with tendencies towards dry humor:
    In 28 days I feel like I should have more than 4.3 pounds of loss. I really believe it. I've worked sooooo hard, So in a tantrum-like episode, I decided to do my own calculations based on my daily logging. Surely the MFP calculator must be wrong!!
    This introduction illustrates the internal negative dialogue inside of my head that indicates mistrust of diets and an inclination towards impatience
    So I did the following calculation:
    1. Got my TDEE again from fitnessfrog
    2. TDEE multiplied by 28 days
    3. Total actual net calories eaten added over 28 days
    4. Obtained 28 day calorie deficit by #2 = #3
    5. Divided total deficit by 3500 (the calories to lose 1 pound.)
    The action of the post. Here is where the excitement happens. Numbers add up to show a surpise.
    The answer was, lo and behold: 4.3 pounds. Exactly.
    Oh. So MFP works.
    Got it.
    The exciting conclusion. Here we see that I have learned mfp works and has this has changed my entire outlook. Trust in the system has been restored and impatience has been replaced with acceptance.
    Hmmmm. Yea I guess motivational writing isnt in my future.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    :laugh: ^

That was awesome.