I'm a picky eater

Options
I want to get fit. But the problem is even though I run for about 40 minutes everyday I eat terribly and just cannot lose weight.

Basically the only fruit or veg I can stand is apples, carrots and potatoes.

I also eat a lot of cheese which I know Is bad for me.

My diet is basically:

Cheese and crisp sandwiches
Rice
Macaroni Cheese
Spaggetti
Pizza

That Is basically all I eat.

I just don't like anything else.
I do drink a lot of water In the way of non sugar orange squash.

I hate the fact that I eat like this but I just don't like eating anything else.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    And your question is?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat any certain way to manage your weight successfully. Just manage your portions and you can do it.

If you're after better health from a more varied diet, try new foods over time and work them in. Or stick to adding in the produce items you do already like. Nothing wrong with apples, potatoes and carrots daily.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    if your goal is lets say to eat 1400 calories a day and the foods you listed is all you like to eat then I would say as long as you don't go over those 1400 calories, you should be able to continue to eat those foods but please don't take my word for it. I need help just as well as you and im still learning. Just keep running and exercising. Im sure there are people who eat like you and still lose weight. There are people who do little to exercise and still lose weight so don't give up and don't let anyone tell you that you cant do this because of your food choices because I have faith that you can. feel free to add me if you like
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you want to be successful at weight loss, you have to be willing to do what is necessary and that is eating a varied, healthy diet. I cannot believe you have tried every fruit and vegetable and every way of preparing them. With the way you eat, running isn't going to do a thing. Being a picky eater is a way to get attention from those around you.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If your asking about weight loss, a calorie deficit is all that is needed. You can lose weight just by eating at a deficit.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Weight loss just requires a deficit. It will be difficult creating one with only those foods (in my humble opinion--I'd be starving all the time!). However, maybe you're having trouble because your body is used to running 40 minutes every day, and thus, you're no longer burning as many calories as you think
    Maybe try switching up the workout--hills, intervals, or something altogether different like swimming.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Then eat within your calorie restriction with the foods you like.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can eat less of the foods that got you into this predicament and loose weight, certainly. For most of us changing habits (exercise more, eat less) are essential to the healthier lifestyle and body we're seeking. Habits are the emotionally "safe" path and feel comfortable because we've practiced them a lot. The old saying "Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours." comes to mind when I read your post. Basically, I think we all have to decide if we want to fiercely hang on to the habits that have defined us, or do we want to learn more about health and fitness and apply the new knowledge....do we want the healthier body or the safety of our habits more?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Then eat within your calorie restriction with the foods you like.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. And maybe take a multi vitamin
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you hate that you eat like this, then change things.
    If you're happy, then keep doing it.
    You are the only one who can decide what to do
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well, GET USED TO IT.... it ain't easy, for nobody!
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Weight loss just requires a deficit. It will be difficult creating one with only those foods (in my humble opinion--I'd be starving all the time!). However, maybe you're having trouble because your body is used to running 40 minutes every day, and thus, you're no longer burning as many calories as you think
    Maybe try switching up the workout--hills, intervals, or something altogether different like swimming.

I agree. I personally think variety helps when trying to eat in a deficit, but that's just me. Also switching up your workout routine might help as well.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You can eat less of the foods that got you into this predicament and loose weight, certainly. For most of us changing habits (exercise more, eat less) are essential to the healthier lifestyle and body we're seeking. Habits are the emotionally "safe" path and feel comfortable because we've practiced them a lot. The old saying "Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours." comes to mind when I read your post. Basically, I think we all have to decide if we want to fiercely hang on to the habits that have defined us, or do we want to learn more about health and fitness and apply the new knowledge....do we want the healthier body or the safety of our habits more?

I LOVE this!!!!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm quite picky too - not to the point where I only eat a handful of foods, but there are a lot of veggies that I don't/didn't like.

So I might be able to help if you're willing to go outside your comfort zone a little bit!

For example, I don't like raw tomatoes, but I love them sliced and roasted for 30 minutes, then put on a slice of french bread with basil and 0.5oz of kraft mozzarella on top, then baked again for 10 more minutes. It has a lovely pizza flavour, but with a LOT less calories and a much fresher taste.

I also make my spaghetti sauces by steaming/sauteing carrots & peas until soft, and then pureeing them and adding them to the sauce. And I don't even like peas! But you can't taste them :)

When I make rice dishes, I like to make 1/2 rice and 1/2 lentils, instead of all rice. The lentils have good protein and vitamins, and do not have a strong flavour (esp. if you cook them in chicken stock or a can of diced tomatoes instead of water).

I went from hardly buying/using any veggies (except corn, carrots & potatoes), to having fun trying lots of different things - now I buy and use a LOT more, like red bell peppers, onions (in eeeverything), peas, spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus, parsnips, cauliflower, squash, etc., and a range of spices I was never comfortable using. And my cooking skills have improved! So I believe in you!

HTH :)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It's true that the kind of foods you like to eat will make it very very difficult to create a deficit. In truth you may have to make some sacrifices in order to lose weight. To be honest we all have to make some sacrifices. I mean yeah I don't cut things out of my diet. But I don't eat like 6 chocolate bars a day anymore. Or consume liters apon liters of full sugar soda.

The people telling you to calorie count are correct of course but you may be shocked at how little actual food you can fit into a day if all you are budgeting is pasta and cheese. Try to make that 1 meal a day so you can have the things you like. And try and find some healthier choices to make for the rest of the day.

Also examine elsewhere in your diet. Are you drinking any full sugar sodas. Are you eating nuts thinking the little things couldn't contain THAT many calories?

Also you may think oh im a picky eater I can't change. But here's a slap in the face! SLAP, YOU CAN!! If i can change from someone who stuffs their face full of junk food and sweets and soda and never moves into a fitness enthusiast who has lost 7+ stone eats 90% healthy calories. And isn't even TEMPTED to go back to his old ways then you can too. It's a matter of conditioning your body to your new routine. It's rough and it takes some time. But trust me your mind and body WILL adapt. And you will wonder why the hell you ever used to eat the way you did.

I hardly eve eat processed carbs refined sugar or other junk food anymore. And it's not because I have forbidden myself from it. I would RATHER eat lean meats grilled veg nuts and fruit. I like it better this way. So there is no temptation to go back. Sure I enjoy creamy fatty pasta or sugary deserts and stuff like that every once in a while. But i really don't crave them anymore.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Okay, separate all the ingredients of everything you DO love and mix and match, make sure to stay within your calorie goals and problem fixed. Don't make your life difficult.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just eat less of what you like. It's not the greatest when it comes to nutrients and protein, but meh. Eat less.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try roasted vegetables. It's so much different, and often much tastier, to prepare them that way. Kalyn's Kitchen has loads of roasted veggie recipes that are fairly easy to make. I used to abhor brussels sprouts, but her recipe for roasting them with pine nuts and some parmesan cheese is fantastic.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

You can find loads of other roasted veggie recipes online with a simple search. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    OP, you are as picky as a three year old. I'm not saying you're childish. Just REALLY picky!!

I thought I was bad.

Keep trying new stuff. You may hit on something you like.

I just bought a fruit today called "Dinosaur egg." I've no idea what it is, but I'm going to see how it tastes. As a picky eater, I'm always desperate for new things I might like. Sometimes I find them. Pomegranate! Yum! :)