weight loss supplements? tips?

Options
I KNOW I KNOW there is no 'magic pill" but does anyone recommend any type of supplements that generally help with your weight loss journey ON TOP of healthy eating and exercise? Never had much experience with them so I would appreciate some insight from those more experienced!

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Any of them work well - they lighten your wallet. They can be dangerous. Why would you want to use this stuff?
  • xYummyMummy1Dayx
    Options
    Raspberry ketone is meant to be good as it suppresses your appetite. Haven't tried it myself though, just had feedback from a colleague.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I KNOW there is no 'magic pill" but does anyone recommend any type of supplements that generally help with your weight loss journey ON TOP of healthy eating and exercise? Never had much experience with them so I would appreciate some insight from those more experienced!

A multi-vitamin.

You don't need diet pills. They aren't going to do anything for you except waste your money.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a matter of calories in vs calories out.

Skip the diet. Skip the quick fixes.

Change your lifestyle. You're probably in no hurry to lose the weight. So why does it matter when you meet your goal as long as you meet it eventually! Eat the right calorie amount and you'll be fine.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder to supplement my daily protein intake because chewing that much chicken is a literal pain in the neck and jaw and teeth. I also have a quest bar once a day for the fiber content.

Other then that, whole foods, baby. All day, erryday. No bullisht, no fillers. The protein brand doesn't really matter. TBH I started buying Walmart six star stuff because it's cheap and doesn't taste like the floormats in a teenager's Volkswagen. I like the quest bars because their macros are good for my goals. Plus THE TASTE. It's magical.
  • KANEJOY
    KANEJOY Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! Definitely will start looking for a good multi-vitamin
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Agree with a multivitamin, if you aren't eating a banned diet (which most people aren't.) If you eat a truly balanced diet (which would be like a full time job for most people), you don't need even that.

Other than that, just take the supplements the doctor recommends. With the exception of a very few that are stored, most excess vitamins are just sent out of the body as waste. You'd do yourself as much good by just throwing your money in the garbage.

I hear a lot of buzz about green tea extract, but am doubtful about there being anything to it.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder to supplement my daily protein intake because chewing that much chicken is a literal pain in the neck and jaw and teeth. I also have a quest bar once a day for the fiber content.

Other then that, whole foods, baby. All day, erryday. No bullisht, no fillers. The protein brand doesn't really matter. TBH I started buying Walmart six star stuff because it's cheap and doesn't taste like the floormats in a teenager's Volkswagen. I like the quest bars because their macros are good for my goals. Plus THE TASTE. It's magical.

^^This
    As far as actual supplements. I've heard apple cider vinegar suppresses appetite. I take it every day for the rumored healthy effect it has on your heart. My appetite it definitely down, but that's probably thanks to my overall better diet and extra fiber. They sell pills of it, but I just mix a few tablespoons in a tall glass of water in the morning. You can barely taste it. Plus, more water is always great.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

^^This
    As far as actual supplements. I've heard apple cider vinegar suppresses appetite. I take it every day for the rumored healthy effect it has on your heart. My appetite it definitely down, but that's probably thanks to my overall better diet and extra fiber. They sell pills of it, but I just mix a few tablespoons in a tall glass of water in the morning. You can barely taste it. Plus, more water is always great.

You shouldn't be trying to suppress your appetite, you should be eating foods that help satiate you while not going over your calories. Protein and fat help wtih this, as does a high-volume diet (lots of nutrient-dense instead of calorie-dense foods).

Also as far as protein.... Chicken is not the only thing with protein in it. Yogurt, cheese, steak, pork, fish, turkey, eggs, other things I can't evebn remember right now. I eat chicken the most simply because it's easiest and I enjoy it, but I also eat eggs daily and lots of cheese, peanut butter sometimes too, so many different types of meats. Like Christ, make a damn hamburger or something, it's not going to make you gain weight if you eat within your calories!