Looking for Supplements To Boost Weight-Loss

Options
I am thinking about stopping at GNC tomorrow but before I go in, any suggestions on what to look for or what has worked for you? I am looking for something (whether it be a vitamin, drink, ....) to help me boost my metabolism, give me more energy, and will excel my weight loss.

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    There are no short cuts to long term weightloss. Save your money. Eat a better diet.

Learn more about nutrition from reliable sources. Supplements will not help you lose weight.

Work out your TDEE, reduce your calories a bit below that and eat that every day OR try the 5:2 fasting diet.

On the fasting diet you fast two days a week eating 500 calories or a quarter or your TDEE. Fasting like this is not that hard. Particularly if you eat a good healthy big meal at lunch time, drink plenty of water and a cup of broth on each day.
    On non-fast days you eat at or just below your TDEE and you will lose weight easily and steadily.

You do not have to go the gym to lose weight.

You do have to eat proper whole foods.
    vegetables fibre, dairy, protein, healthy fats. You must eat this foods if you want to increase your chances of living a long and healthy life as a slim person.

You can't expect to eat junk food day in and day out and live a long life unless you have very good genes and are lucky.

Watch these two tv programs to learn some valuable info.
    Catalyst - Gut Reaction 1 and 2 its from a reputable australian science show. this is about the importance of fibre and gut bacteria
    Eat Fast and Live longer by Dr Michael Mosley. - this is about fasting for a longer life. His diet 5:2 came out of these researches. there is a website called the fasting diet for support and info. and also a book.

Both are on you tube
    Also if you like those watch this tv series.

The men who made us Fat
    The men who made us thin.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Don't go. Save your money. There is NO PILL or SUPPLEMENT that works without calorie deficit. And that's attained by eating less than you burn. And that's free.
    I've tried lots and lots of supplements (up to 50 pills in a day) and with the exception of pro hormones (which are now banned), protein and creatine, all the other supplements were a waste of money.
    Boost your metabolism by being more intense in your workouts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything above except for the need to eat "whole" foods (any food is fine as long as you eat within your calories/macros for the day) and fasting (much easier to simply eat consistently every day, although YMMV - even then I do NOT suggest eating at a generic calorie split suggestion).

Any supplements should only be to help you meet your protein needs or to help with energy at the gym (e.g. caffeine, pre-workout or DIY pre-workout)
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Its true that it won't work wonders, but she wants somenthing to boost the weight-loss, not smth that makes her slim while she eats fries! :D

The thing is, all these natural ingrediens, like coffeein, etc wont help.

Nutrex Lipo-6 is really good! You gotta serch in bodybuilding areas.. plus like the others already told you, eat in a deficit. And do weight training!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Its true that it won't work wonders, but she wants somenthing to boost the weight-loss, not smth that makes her slim while she eats fries! :D

Nutrex Lipo-6 is really good! You gotta serch in bodybuilding areas.. plus like the others already told you, eat in a deficit. And do weight training!
    Nope. There may be a very mild effect, but if people are thinking that bodybuilder amateurs and pros use supplements to cut up and get leaner, they'd be mistaken. Clen is usually the choice here and it's by prescription since it's a drug.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

If you rely on drugs to help you lose weight, chances are your weight loss will not be maintained very well. Gimmicks don't work, OP will boost weight loss by being smart and eating at a healthy deficit while consuming adequate protein to minimize muscle loss.
  • shemoves
    shemoves Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not looking for a miracle pill. I was just wondering if there was anything that helps "supplement" you with energy and faster metabolism. I am doing both cardio and weight lifting.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt buy any supplement for weight loss. I use protein powder to meet my protein goals

If you want something then just drink green tea, it definately helps
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I agree, save the money.

Eat at a deficit and continue your cardio and weightlifting.

This isn't a race, only thing you need to jump start is a healthier lifestyle.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not looking for a miracle pill. I was just wondering if there was anything that helps "supplement" you with energy and faster metabolism. I am doing both cardio and weight lifting.

And the consensus answer you have gotten is "no".
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if there was anything that helps "supplement" you with energy and faster metabolism.

Coffee?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

If you want something then just drink green tea, it definately helps
    What exactly does green tea "help" do, and how?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    All "fat burners" have a stimulant. A stimulant helps to increase adrenaline giving you the "sense" of more energy. And as I mentioned there is a slight metabolic rise, but for the amount of money one spends to achieve it, it costs way more than what it's worth.
    Again, the best way to increase metabolic rate is to increase your intensity in workouts.

IDEA Fitness member
  • shemoves
    shemoves Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Got it! I'm not going anymore :laugh: