Why do you do in these situations?

Options
I struggle with the "all or nothing" mentality (I had a thread about this a few days ago). As part of this, I often beat myself up for slips, or obsess over things rather than just move on.
Yesterday I was out with my family and they decided to have lunch at a Chinese food buffet. What do you do with places like that? Very little healthy options. Do you just try to go for the lowest calorie options as possible? Do your best to estimate with your log? I'm just curious how other people handle this because in the past, I've really struggled (emotionally) when I don't know the nutritional info of what I'm eating.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Boiled rice

Prawn and seasonal vegetables
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy myself, keep note of what I'm having and log it later using similar items in the database. Eat slowly, drink lots of water and stop before I'm stuffed. And if I'm still hungry at dinner, a light meal or snack. I wouldn't weigh myself the next day. Going over my calories isn't a problem unless I make a habit out of it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    When I can't get nutritional info, I will either pick "healthier" options or get what I know I'll enjoy but only eat half.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    At buffets, I enjoy myself but within moderation. I have reasonable portions of what I want. I consider it a treat and move on. I don't try to estimate or log it.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Often the guys in the office want to go to this certain Indian buffet. In general I just only have one plate and make sure that each item is clearly identifiable on the plate (as opposed to just piling it on 4 inches deep). I mostly choose the foods that are easy to identify (curry chicken, a small amount of rice, etc) and count.

When I get back I type it into MFP and it is rarely enough to blow my day.

It helps to eat a bit slower so I still have food on my plate when everyone else is going back for seconds.

My two cents worth.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM, and work on hitting my weekly goal, not daily, so i have 5 days where I eat a bit less and 2 where I can eat a bit more which generally covers going out once or twice a week.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    a small portion compared to a normal sized portion usually does the trick for me. even if the food ends up being high in calories, fat, ect. at least its not a heaping plate full!
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When I can't get nutritional info, I will either pick "healthier" options or get what I know I'll enjoy but only eat half.

I go hit the weights whenever I can't find nutritional info. Seems to work for me.
  • Oxmarqt
    Oxmarqt Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what has been said....

I want to stress what has WORKED FOR ME. Eat what you want but keep an eagle on on the portion size. On June 1, 2014 I was 320lbs, highest ever. Yesterday I was 301. About a lb and a half a week average. I exercise regularly which is huge and watch portion size and types of foods. I am not going to try and go 1005 healthy on the food until I get to around 260lbs. I am already changing exercise habits, portion size, cutting out favorite things (oh Coca Cola how I miss you even though I still find you every 4-5 days!!) and I am trying to quit smoking.

Eating out will be something that you will always do; be it with friends, with work, a wedding reception, etc. You will not be living in a "perfect food" world. Learn to adapt while you are on the journey. Avoid the obviously bad stuff and just have a little bit of the rest. If you feel guilty about it then go out and get that heart rate up and burn off some extra calories.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have had the same mentality like 'well I already ruined the day, might as well go crazy' especially at buffets. But that mentality does cause a weight stall (feels like I've been stuck for months!)

PP's have good advice. I also recommend logging as much as you can, guessing based on similar entries in the database, and generally overestimating, even if it puts you 3k over that day. I take veery tiny plates at the chinese place (a small amount of noodles and few pieces of honey chicken is one plate. 5 pieces of sushi on another. a crab rangoon and some stir fry for a 3rd) so I still get the buffet experience, and most people don't pay attention because I'm going up and getting as many plates as they do. Also, try to leave the buffet/stop eating before you're full, if you can (esp. at lunchtime). It takes willpower not to fill yourself, but you'll feel better about eating later if you exercise this control.

I'm trying to learn more to stay in control, the other day my hubby stopped at a fast food place and ordered me a giant meal (1200 cals EASY). I ate half the burger and logged it, and stayed in my calories. It's a WAY better feeling to be in control of food, instead of having food control me.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    sorry double post ._.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing I have found is to just eat what's available and try and think about the macronutrients. I make sure that my protein intake is about equal to my carbohydrate intake. Portion style if I don't have access to a food scale. Get some meat about the size of a deck of cards, and some rice or whatnot about the size of my fist. Then I add vegetables to fill the plate. It's not really that difficult.

A lot of folks have trouble with Analysis Paralysis. Just do your best and you'll be fine. One meal isn't going to destroy weeks of consistent progress. The 80/20 rule applies.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It's pretty rare for me to eat at a buffet type restaurant. However, if I do, I would be mindful to eat a little less than I have in the past. Example, I would get one plate of salad (or a soup starter--mmm, hot and sour soup), and one plate of main dish and be done. Better than the previous encounter (3-4 heaping plates).

I'm not even sure I'd bother figuring out how to log it, would be the rare occasion I utilize "Quick Calories" and just say 1,000 calories a plate (for the main dishes--modest portions of three things).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Asian food, but Yes, I get the low-cal option, which is usually salad and//or fruit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the "all or nothing" mentality (I had a thread about this a few days ago). As part of this, I often beat myself up for slips, or obsess over things rather than just move on.
    Yesterday I was out with my family and they decided to have lunch at a Chinese food buffet. What do you do with places like that? Very little healthy options. Do you just try to go for the lowest calorie options as possible? Do your best to estimate with your log? I'm just curious how other people handle this because in the past, I've really struggled (emotionally) when I don't know the nutritional info of what I'm eating.
    I find a few things I want and eat small portions. This is when I guesstimate.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When we go out to eat I don't log calories. I just eat what I want with a VERY moderate portion and make sure to drink water or Diet Coke versus a drink with calories. One meal once in a while won't hurt, just remember portion control!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with buffet style, I just follow MY rule, which is to log first. Kinda sucks when you're out with friends, but they're pretty much used to me.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Most chinese buffets I've been to also have a table with fruits or veggies. I start with those first or salad if it's available and a soup, and then I make whatever I think is going to be the best choice for me for day. Which usually means a small plate of high calorie foods I know I'll enjoy, lean meats not coated in sauce where I can find them, and more veggies. I try to follow the same rule I would making dinner, 1/4 to 1/3 of the plate protein, 1/4 carbs, 1/2 veggies. I guestimate calories where possible, but really it's one day and one meal; it shouldn't set me back weeks.

Oh, and of course skip whatever drink options they have and stick with water, and drink at least 1 glass per plate since you're going to be taking in crazy amounts of sodium with any time of restaurant or prepared foods.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm too rebellious to stick to an all or nothing approach. Moderation is the only thing that has kept me going.

If the eating out occasion is for a special reason, a treat, a party then I don't sweat it. I try to get a rough idea of how much I ate after the fact but I eat what I want. Usually I know these things are coming up so I prepare for a high calorie day in the days preceding it by eating less, and the day after as well. I pay more attention to weekly averages than to day by day goals. If it was a surprise I will stay on the low end of my calorie intake in the day or two afterwards.

Once a month I have been averaging a bbq style party or gathering where it is very difficult to keep track. I enjoy myself, don't log that day and try to stay low the rest of the week. So far these mystery days (as I like to call them) hasn't messed me up at all. But I have not had more than one a month and I am very good the rest of the week. But to be honest I have a really hard time not logging and often try to figure it out after the fact. If you are just starting I don't recommend not logging because it gives you an idea of how many calories you typically eat during these festivities. I always served myself small portions of everything and it still came to over 800 calories--That was eye opening! So now I know if I have an occasion like that I need to plan for the fact that at least 1/2 of my daily expenditure will be consumed during the course of the party and I adjust my day and those surrounding it accordingly to stay within my weekly average.

If it is a last minute meal out of convenience than I make smart choices based on the menu options available. I am starting to transition from weight-loss to maintenance to trying to these changes be workable for the foreseeable future is important. Making parties and special outings stressful events that are only half satisfying is not going to work for me in the long run. But what has been working is being more selective about what occasions are worth the calories. This has also been the way I have been adjusting my spending to get my finances under control and what I believe the key to moderation is.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! My all or nothing mentality is probably my #1 obstacle in my weight loss, so these suggestions are very helpful. :)