WHY am I gaining?

Options
Hey guys,

I am feeling REALLY frustrated right now. Week after week I am gaining pound after pound!! :(

I am logging everything I am taking in.
I am working out 6 days a week, cardio and weights.
I cut out carbs and most sugars.
I am trying to drink as much water as possible and pretty much cut out all alcohol.
I upped my protein intake.

I don't know what else to do! :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? And have you been to a doctor to be checked out for any medical issues, or do you have any medical issues? Have you recently started any new medications?

Posting your stats (height/weight/age) and more info about your calorie intake would be helpful - how much are you trying to lose per week, how much are you eating, are you eating back exercise calories?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    open your diary please if you need feedback
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many weeks and how many pounds?

What's your start & goal weight and calories?
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry about that, I had to change my privacy settings. Is it open now?

I am 28 years old. I am 5'5.
    I used to weigh 230 now I'm down to 194. I was at 176 and gained a lot back.
    I do not usually eat my workout calories back.
    I want to lose at least a pound a week, two pounds would be ideal.
  • kallibrae
    Options
    I would love to be down to 140 (my ultimate goal) losing two pounds a week.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I threw your stats in to grab your BMR, which is less than you're currently eating (1672). Have you calculated your BMR or TDEE before?

Also, I looked through your diary and there are several days where you either didn't log at all, or only logged a few meals, but which I'm assuming you ate more on.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How long has this persisted? I notice that I hit a "low weight" right around the beginning of my female cycle and then gain two pounds or so over the next several weeks, then drop several pounds at the beginning of the next cycle. I imagine it's water retention due to hormones.

Looks like you're getting a lot of sodium, so again, possibly water retention.

And finally ... it doesn't look like you're using a food scale? I've noticed that produce estimates in MFP's database (1 medium apple, 1 small potato, 1/2 cup onion, etc) usually underestimate calories by a good portion. A decent food scale will cost you less than $30 if you aren't using one yet.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's water retention, to gain 1lb of fat you'd need to eat 3500 calories over maintenance. Drink more water, eat less grains and processed sugars. Stop worrying over the scale.
  • kallibrae
    Options
    So my BMR calculates how many calories I really should be taking in?
    So my MFP calories goal is off?

I will start using a food scale and cut down on portions. Maybe that will help.
    Thanks guys! I really am trying so this is all good info for me to take and use!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great weight-loss so far, well done!

I agree with others, perhaps try a lower calorie goal and definitely, definitely get more specific with your logging - use scales and use say, "grams" rather than "slices".
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Inconsistencies with logging and eating more than you think.

This.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Thanks guys! I really am trying so this is all good info for me to take and use!

No, your BMR is how many calories you would need to lay around in a coma. The number of calories you should be taking in is your TDEE-20%, which is the number of calories you need to fuel your body, your daily activities, and your exercise, minus a small 20% (1 lb per week) deficit. 2 lbs per week is unrealistic for what you have to lose.

Start fresh. Buy a food scale, weigh all solids, measure all liquids, and log everything. Set MFP to lose 1 lb per week, and eat back a portion of your exercise calories. Do that for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • suzi42
    suzi42 Posts: 2
    Options
    Also, make sure you are eating 1200 calories a day. If you dont it puts your body into starvation mode. Best of Luck!!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

BMR is the calories your body would burn in a coma so the minimum calories you need to survive.
    TDEE is the calories the bodies burns during your normal daily activity and includes exercise normally

However when dieting your body gains some of this fuel by burning your fat stores

Both are different measures to the one that MFP uses.

Use the food scale for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, other measures for solids can be a bit hit and miss. Also regularly check the nutrition entries, particularly on packaged foods.

Where possible use the non starred entries because these are from FDA
  • wcotex3
    wcotex3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Do you drink alcohol? It is one of the worst things, because it has a lot of calories.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring everything you eat is so important. Your diary looks like you may not be weighing accurately. It's very easy to consume more then we think we are. You don't have to cut off carbs and sugar to lose weight, unless you have a medical condition.