Is it okay to binge eat one a month

Options
Today I had calorie dense food which made me go over my calorie goal by 400 despite exercising so I just said screw it and I decided to eat extra few treats. How often do you go over your calorie goal or binge eat but still lose weight?

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, 400 calories is not binging. It is a blip. Won't affect your weight loss (well, maybe if you do it every day). Keep it to once in a while and no big deal!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, 400 calories is not binging. It is a blip. Won't affect your weight loss (well, maybe if you do it every day). Keep it to once in a while and no big deal!
    +1
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

She said she went 400 over THEN said screw it and ate a bunch more. Probably still not a big deal once in a blue moon.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I regularly go upto 500 calories above goal (my deficit is 500. I try not to go over that so I'm still hitting some kind of deficit, however small). But then I make sure that over the next few days I eat a bit less so that it all balances out.

For me that means going over goal is not the end of the world - but it stops me from deciding **** it and eating everything in sight. If I did the next few days would be unbearable!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's really calories in and calories out... You'll still lose weight if you're still in deficit for the week. You won't if you're not. It really depends on how over you go and what your deficit is like... Going over 400 one day, you're still probably eating under maintenance if your goal is to lose 1 pound a week, and you might not notice the difference at all. For me, I have a small deficit, so if I eat 1000 over maintenance, it will probably take me 4 days of deficit to make up for it. So I try to avoid it, lol.

Bottom line though, if you have a day when you eat 400 over, you're still totally fine. So no, you didn't 'mess it up anyway'. But by eating more (I don't know how much, let's say 1000?), you'll probably still lose weight, just less than you would have otherwise. It's just math, really.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

She said she went 400 over THEN said screw it and ate a bunch more. Probably still not a big deal once in a blue moon.

I am actually over 401 calories for today:blushing:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I am actually over 401 calories for today:blushing:

Then you're overreacting. :bigsmile:
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's really calories in and calories out... You'll still lose weight if you're still in deficit for the week. You won't if you're not. It really depends on how over you go and what your deficit is like... Going over 400 one day, you're still probably eating under maintenance if your goal is to lose 1 pound a week, and you might not notice the difference at all. For me, I have a small deficit, so if I eat 1000 over maintenance, it will probably take me 4 days of deficit to make up for it. So I try to avoid it, lol.

Bottom line though, if you have a day when you eat 400 over, you're still totally fine. So no, you didn't 'mess it up anyway'. But by eating more (I don't know how much, let's say 1000?), you'll probably still lose weight, just less than you would have otherwise. It's just math, really.

okay that makes sense:flowerforyou:
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    binge eating isn't 400 calories. :) I did 5000 last weekend because it was my anniversary :laugh: so yeah I think it's okay. Personally I wouldn't do it once a month, maybe couple times a year (major holidays) but to each their own. I gained a couple pounds back but I'm okay with it. Your 10th anniversary is only a 1 time thing as my husband told me :drinker: (unless you get remarried) :noway: :laugh:
  • wuggums47
    wuggums47 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well, in general you want to avoid eating over your daily calories, but it's fine if you make a mistake every now and then.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I use to overeat too many times a week, let alone each month I noticed that anxiety gives me the munchies for junk. So, recently this year, I have been able to manage it with exercise. Now, I only splurge when family wants to go out. But I limit it to once or twice a week. Just keep tracking it and then you'll see if it's derailing your progress. Best wishes.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    binge eating isn't 400 calories. :) I did 5000 last weekend because it was my anniversary :laugh: so yeah I think it's okay. Personally I wouldn't do it once a month, maybe couple times a year (major holidays) but to each their own. I gained a couple pounds back but I'm okay with it. Your 10th anniversary is only a 1 time thing as my husband told me :drinker: (unless you get remarried) :noway: :laugh:
    LOL
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference in the use of the word "binge" that is being overlooked. A "binge" IMO is an uncontrolled, unplanned, mindless (or compulsive) eating session that racks up a couple thousand (or more) unplanned calories. A whole pizza, an entire bag of chips, a carton of ice cream... etc... Planning for a "large eating day" or a celebratory meal (i.e. anniversary, holiday) is *not* a "binge." Please be cautious with your words. I would caution that "binge" eating is never okay - it's like falling off the wagon if you're an overeater.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 calories in one sitting. In a sense it is binge eating, but i hate eating lunch and dinner and i'm full for the rest of the day. There is no hidden rule, as long you're eating healthy do whatever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference in the use of the word "binge" that is being overlooked. A "binge" IMO is an uncontrolled, unplanned, mindless (or compulsive) eating session that racks up a couple thousand (or more) unplanned calories. A whole pizza, an entire bag of chips, a carton of ice cream... etc... Planning for a "large eating day" or a celebratory meal (i.e. anniversary, holiday) is *not* a "binge." Please be cautious with your words. I would caution that "binge" eating is never okay - it's like falling off the wagon if you're an overeater.

This.

If you're truly binging (losing control and unable to stop eating) then that's a problem. If you just ate over your calorie goal because you chose to have a few treats that's not a binge and is no big deal. Also if you were 400 calories over your MFP goal you're likely not even over maintenance.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

+1
    This is basically what I was going to say. If you have an odd day when you decide to treat yourself and go over on calories, no that is no big deal. But if you lose control at times and stuff yourself just for the sake of doing it, or to punish yourself, that is a binge and that is a problem.

Tonight is my mom's bday and we are going out to an Italian restaurant with an awesome dessert menu, so I have already decided I am not going to worry about the calories and just eat yummy stuff. I will def be substantially over my goal. No biggie, I'll get back on track tomorrow, and you should do the same :drinker:
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine. Just keep in mind that what you eat can cause bloating or water retention and temporarily make it look like you gained a bunch of weight really fast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Also not a 'binge' if you use it's actual definition, OP is just over eating, not binge eating.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yep. throwing my support behind the above statement too.