Losing weight too quickly?

Options
Hi guys,

OK, so in my first week on MFP, I've lost more than 4 pounds. Could this be water weight? I'm hungry, a lot, and today I'm feeling completely wiped out. So I'm worried I'm not eating enough.

I'm not doing any fad diets, haven't cut anything out completely and have logged EVERYTHING that enters my mouth each day, I'm hitting my net calories (1200) everyday and eating back most of my exercise calories, so my intake varies. My BMR is around 1900 for a sedentary lifestyle (I work from home, and spend most day at my desk) but have been exercising every day.

Any advice? I currently weigh 177 pounds and want to get down to 136, though I'm in no particular rush to get there. I just want to be healthy and NOT hungry all the time :)

Thanks all
L

Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Eat more. 1200 is not enough.
  • leomcdee
    leomcdee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have clarified: my goal set by MFP is 1200, so I'm eating at least that PLUS any exercise calories, around 1300 - 1600 a day.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Happened to me. I believe you always lose more in your first week, then you settle into a much slower rate.
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    in the first week of dieting there is often a big weight loss- which is usually a fair amount of water loss and a little bit of fat/muscle depending on your deficit. I wouldn't be concerned if it's just your first week, but if you keep consistently losing 4 pounds/week then definitely up your calories. That being said, if you are really hungry, EAT. Being constantly hungry/fatigued/irritable is your body's way to say 'I need fuel.'
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congratulations with your success on the scale. It does slow down for most people so don't panic. In addition to calories, are you tracking protein, fats, and fiber? Are you getting enough of each? If not that might help you feel more satisfied.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are, the faster it comes off.

It gets harder, so enjoy it while it's easy! :)
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't worry with 4lb! The initial weight loss is always quicker! Then it slllooowwwwsss!! I have my calories set to 1650 (tdee) and don't eat exercise calories back (unless I'm really hungry). I would imagine you've cut down quite a lot even at 1300-1600 so the deficit should cause a weight loss! Roll with it! I'd be happy with that ha
  • FaridPERU
    FaridPERU Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    good job!!
    but if you want to prevent stretch marks, use skinception or something like that!

keep goin!
  • leomcdee
    leomcdee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, good to know it's normal/probably water weight ;)

I have to say, I don't mind that it's coming off quickly, I'd just rather not be hungry all the time. Honestly, I'm not even sure if it's real hunger or my body just reacting out of habit. I had (have) a serious problem with binge eating (a disorder) and I think my stomach is like 'Dude, where's the whole packet of biscuits you usually hit me up with?'

I am tracking carbs, protein etc. I am a little under so that's something I need to work on.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you just started, most of that is water weight. That has to go first, then you can 'attack' your fat ;-) So I wouldn't worry about it.

Just for clarification - if you put MFP to 2lbs loss per week, you automatically get 1200 + exercise cals. That's fine, but if you are hungry all the time, I would go for 1lb/week. If you are hungry all the time....probably you won't stick with it. But it could also be a question of adjustment.

Also check your protein and grain carbs. If your protein intake is rather low and your carb intake higher, while eating a deficit.....that makes me hungry. Increase the protein and decrease the carbs a bit. That should keep you fuller for longer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    When I started out last year, my goal was to lose about 33 pounds. I started at a base of 1200 to lose 2 pounds a week, which lasted a week or two. I felt too worn out. I changed my calorie goals to lose one pound a week, which was about 1360 plus exercise calories. So much better, the weight came off fine, and I ended up losing 44 pounds.

My advice is to be less aggressive in your calorie goals, set it to lose 1 to 1.5 pounds a week, and enjoy the process.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Many times you will lose really quickly at first and this could be due to water weight loss. My recommendation is to set your goal to 1# to 2# loss per week and try to get your net calories (Food - Exercise) to be within about 100 calories of that number daily. If you are taller, then that will exceed 1200 calories... If you are shorter in stature then of course, it will be near 1200 calories.... Best wishes on every success.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, good to know it's normal/probably water weight ;)

I have to say, I don't mind that it's coming off quickly, I'd just rather not be hungry all the time. Honestly, I'm not even sure if it's real hunger or my body just reacting out of habit. I had (have) a serious problem with binge eating (a disorder) and I think my stomach is like 'Dude, where's the whole packet of biscuits you usually hit me up with?'

I am tracking carbs, protein etc. I am a little under so that's something I need to work on.

Yup. Happened to me too. After 2 weeks the "hunger" went and the weight loss slowed. I always calculate the rate of weight loss over a month. It smooths out the bumps and pauses.
  • rosiemaji
    rosiemaji Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you are eating up to 1600 calories each day and are still hungry all of the time, you need more volume in your diet, Check out "Volumetrics". I had the same problem when I first went on my weight loss program. My coach suggested "Volumetrics". It is the volume of food that you eat that makes you feel full, not the number of calories. Volume includes high fiber foods such as fibrous vegetables and foods that take a long time to break down such as raw foods (carrot sticks?). Sometimes I have trouble eating all of the calories that I should be eating because I feel too full.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, you're doing great!
  • redgsdmom
    redgsdmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough? Sometimes you feel hungry when you are really thirsty
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always lose a lot the first week or so, especially if I drink a lot of water. If you're feeling bad/SUPER hungry though, you may want to adjust your goal for a smaller deficit while your body adjusts to eating less. Another thing to look at is make sure you're getting good quality, filling calories versus empty calories. Good luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! :)

For the hunger, try tweaking your macros. Maybe add some more protein and healthy fat and fiber. Maybe adjust when you eat your meals and/or how they're spaced out. I'm usually more hungry in the morning. And I eat dinner late on the week nights (I work out after work), which is technically a no-no, but it works for me. I also eat more protein than most people.

It's about what's finding what's right for you. It takes everyone a while to figure out how food and exercise works best for their body. And that will change as you lose weight.

Just keep logging and keep at it. You'll figure it all out!