OBSESSED WITH LOSING WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was like you. Then I realized I had to make a lifelong change. I started slow. I first cut out soda. When I did this, I slowly added exercise, because I was very out of shape and didn't make it more than 5 minutes in. Then I reduced my calorie intake to 1200, but quickly raised it to 1400, my BMR is 1464. I do cardio 3 days a week and strength (light for now..building endurance) 5 days. Week. I'm not really changing what I eat, but I am changing the amount I eat.

I have lost 7 pounds.

Start slow. You'll get there.
  • uagrl02
    uagrl02 Posts: 8
    Options
    Its not that I cant afford to eat more calories, its that all healthy food is expensive, and the food I buy now is all healthy, I just cant buy a ton of it... and I refuse to buy the stuff I was eating,and I dont cook much which is a problem.. everything these days cost money to lose weight, either seeing a doctor, or trainer, or even advise.
  • uagrl02
    Options
    The purpose of the thread was for advice... I know what I am doing is not the best... I wasnt looking for positive feedback on here, I knew it would mostly be negative, but its advice!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I wasted years and years doing just what you are doing. From my mid twenties I would go on very low calorie fad diets, completely obsessed with losing weight, until the binging started. Then I would give up telling myself it was impossible and gain all the weight back and a lot more. Then I would do it all over again. It was only when I started with MFP at the age of 55 and ate between 1300 and 1600 (sometime more) and started lifting weights with some cardio that the weight dropped of in a sustained and regular way. I have maintained it for the last year by eating pretty much what I want in sensible portions.

Please listen to the advice given on here, depriving yourself to such an extent will more than likely end in you binging and hating yourself for not losing the weight. Honestly it is not the way to do it.

You don't have to eat super healthy food. Just make sure you get some fruit n veg in there along with some lean meat and fish and the rest can be not so good but cheap food in sensible portions to fit you calorie goal.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You'll put your body into starvation mode and it'll hold on to fat, slow your metabolic rate and slow weight loss if you don't fuel your body! Foods only as expensive as you make it! If you cook from scratch you can make one or two meals and they'll last you all week! That's what I do when my partner isn't here! I snack on carrots not fruit and they are cheap as chips! You defo need to eat more though and talk to someone before your obsession takes over even more xx
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

use this calculator to get an estimate of how much you should be eating and try to follow it
  • uagrl02
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

use this calculator to get an estimate of how much you should be eating and try to follow it

Thanks I will try it!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Google Images: Loose Skin Weight Loss

Do you really wanna lose it that fast? You'll be more likely to gain it all back. Get some counseling.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    This really isn't enough and once you come off a VLCD you typically gain all the weight back once you resume a normal diet. You won't be able to get proper nutrition and are probably losing muscle. Eat more and choose the healthiest options you can afford.

I'm sorry but I think you're setting yourself up to fail.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Its not that I cant afford to eat more calories, its that all healthy food is expensive, and the food I buy now is all healthy, I just cant buy a ton of it... and I refuse to buy the stuff I was eating,and I dont cook much which is a problem.. everything these days cost money to lose weight, either seeing a doctor, or trainer, or even advise.

You know what, I don't agree with this. I think, like others have said, that you are making a lot of excuses in order to avoid having to change your current plan. I get it - you want the weight to come off quickly. But you didn't put it on quickly, and trying to be patient will help you keep it off in the long run. (You want to know what's expensive? Constantly buying bigger sizes as you put weight back on.)

First of all, all healthy food is not expensive. Fresh fruits and vegetables can be a little on the pricey side, yes, but frozen ones are usually much more affordable and just as good for you. Otherwise, buy stuff in season. A little Google search can help you figure out what the seasons are for different foods. If you want to eat healthier and avoid turning to fast food, I suggest learning how to cook. It's really not that difficult and will serve you well later in life. I know you work long hours, but a slow cooker is a relatively inexpensive purchase and will help you a lot because you can make food well in advance of when you want to eat (say, before you go to work in the morning) and have enough for leftovers for a couple of days. Even if you don't, though, it's not a crime to eat fast food in moderation. There are plenty of healthy, if imperfect, options on menus these days.

Let's talk about exercise now. You DO NOT need a gym membership or a trainer to lose weight. I lost most of mine so far doing fitness DVDs at home. You can get free workouts on Youtube or just get out and go for a walk. These things can be done for just a few minutes each day. Again, I know you're busy. Can you get out and walk somewhere to get lunch while on your break at work? The key is making a consistent routine for yourself and committing to making it happen each day. No excuses.

I know your primary concern here is not being obsessed with losing weight, and you seem to be ignoring a lot of the other advice you're being given about macros and your diet. If you work on being more patient and turning the changes in your diet and fitness routine into a lifestyle, you won't have to obsess about it. You won't have to worry about eating a few calories too many (in your view). The changes I've implemented in the past six months have just become part of my daily life, and no one makes a big deal about it, least of all me. I really think the whole process will become a lot easier and less stressful for you if you actually consider some of the advice the more seasoned members on the site are offering to you. Best of luck!
  • ljacksn3
    ljacksn3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are before. When I was in college I was eating around 800 calories a day and working out on average 2.5 hours a day. Yes I lost weight... I also became obsessed with weight and I was never happy with myself, even when I hit my goal. There was always this need to lose more. Eventually it was too much for me. I was always tired and never had energy to pay attention in class. If it wasn't for my roommate I probably would have continued, but luckily she helped me realize that I wasn't being healthy. In the end I gained all the weight back, and I've been struggling for some time to figure things out. Thanks to many mistakes and people on MFP I've finally found a healthy way to live my life. I know healthy food can be expensive, but I find my grocery store often has packaged produce on sale when it's close to being old. I'll take it home and cook it right away and then have it ready for me during the week. As far as work goes I know it's hard to find time to work out. I work as a restaurant manager and have to exercise before I go in because afterwards I'm exhausted. I also eat at the restaurant 5 times a week and that has made losing weight more challenging. It all goes back to making a healthy lifestyle change. My goals are small and I know baby steps will take me farther in the end. I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life, but I just wanted to share some of my mistakes that I've made along the way. People on this website really do care about your success. That's what makes it such a great place to find support. Good luck with your journey.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Healthy food is NOT more expensive. Eat regular food (at WAY more than 600-900 cal/day please). Frozen veggies are cheap, dried beans and rice are cheap, eggs are cheap, even chicken breasts or thighs (like $2 a pound in bulk packs)...I feed my entire family (husband plus three boys--we eat all the same foods) for around $20 a person per week. Aldi, Walmart, and ethnic food stores (for bulk commodities) are your friend. Oh, and you'll just have to cook, even if it's a "bulk cook day" once a week (freeze stuff in small servings).
  • uagrl02
    Options
    I want a lifestyle change, that's what I thought I was doing, until now. I have always been big, even when I was young. I do not get breaks at work, well to use the restroom or fix my food, but that's it.I'm trying not to ignore advice, but im pretty clueless in what macros and what I need for nutrition. I appreciate all the advice given, and willing to try to do better with this.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I want a lifestyle change, that's what I thought I was doing, until now. I have always been big, even when I was young. I do not get breaks at work, well to use the restroom or fix my food, but that's it.I'm trying not to ignore advice, but im pretty clueless in what macros and what I need for nutrition. I appreciate all the advice given, and willing to try to do better with this.

I really hope you don't think you'll be able to sustain 600-900 cals a day for the rest of your life. I mean that sincerely.

Now, you said you work 12 hr days and don't get breaks. Pretty sure some law is being broken there. Do some research.

As far as getting more information about macros and nutrition, try reading some of the threads stickied at the top of these forums, especially the ones for new members. They can help you figure those things out - again, no need to spend lots of money.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Healthy food is NOT more expensive. Eat regular food (at WAY more than 600-900 cal/day please). Frozen veggies are cheap, dried beans and rice are cheap, eggs are cheap, even chicken breasts or thighs (like $2 a pound in bulk packs)...I feed my entire family (husband plus three boys--we eat all the same foods) for around $20 a person per week. Aldi, Walmart, and ethnic food stores (for bulk commodities) are your friend.

tumblr_n1op3gMXhy1six0yvo2_400.gif

I agree. I've fed a family of 4 for years just as the above poster described. It can be done & without much trouble at all.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I agree with the slow cooker idea. You can purchase cheaper cuts of meat and add veggies and have food for many days. And you don't need to be a great cook to use it.

I also suggest soups with lots of veggies and protein. Freezes very well

Look to see if you have farmers markets around you. Many times you get better priced veggies which you can freeze and eat later. Look into canning as well. It might sound intimidating but I did this for the first time last year and it was fairly easy, at least for the tomatoes, pickles and jam I did.

Check out your local community and see if you have anything like a community garden. I did this for the first time this year and picked veggies I know are a bit more expensive in the store or those I can do a lot of things with. The garden cost $35 and seeds are fairly inexpensive. Do some research over the winter and then start early next year and you could get lots of fresh veggies very inexpensively. Being as you live in the south you might even be able to grow year round???

You really should eat more than what you are. Add in some nuts, peanut butter, cheese, olive oil, avacados etc and you will get your calories up and get healthy fats and enough calories to keep you losing weight.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    So many red flags.
    I now am obsessed with losing weight! ... It is all I can think about. I weigh myself multiple times a day
    ... I have 60 pounds to lose (lie - ticker says 80)
    ... I will do anything to get it off as quick as I can
    ... I only eat between 600-900 cals. a day, I feel if I do then I wont [sic] lose weight.
    ... I do not believe in the starvation mode, or people telling me I wont [sic] lose weight eating so few calories.
    Unhealthy thought patters (obsession, not in touch with reality),
    not in control of impulses, not able to be patient & do this the healthy way,
    not eating enough...
    Hon, you need to talk with your doctor & therapist.

Sure, you'll lose weight eating that little, but it will include muscle, which you don't want to lose,
    and it will be too fast so your body can't adjust & will "panic" & want you to eat lots more.

"Starvation mode" is largely a myth, but you might be getting close to it because you're eating so little.
    Unless you're very short, aiming to be 60 - 90 lb is not healthy.
    That's what you're doing with your 600 - 900 cal per day.

Use BMI to find a healthy goal weight for your height.
    Multiply that times 10 to get your goal calories to eat to arrive at that healthy weight.
    Don't go below 1200 unless you're very short or under the care of a doctor (who knows that you're eating a VLCD).
    healthy food is more expensive that [sic] junk foods
    No it's not.
    You don't need organic or "health" foods.
    If you eat lower on the food chain, as well as foods which are not processed or minimally processed, you will save money & improve your health.

Get a bag of brown rice, a bag of dried beans, a bag of onions, a bag of carrots.
    That's maybe $5-7 and will give you several healthy meals (depending on the weight of the bags) - plenty of fiber & protein, low in fat & sodium.

Chicken can be found under $2/lb.
    Get whole grains, fresh or canned or frozen veggies & fruits.
    a slow cooker is a relatively inexpensive purchase and will help you a lot because you can make food well in advance of when you want to eat (say, before you go to work in the morning) and have enough for leftovers for a couple of days
    Slow cookers are wonderful!
    Here's a place to find lots of tasty recipes. http://www.tasteofhome.com/
    They have a section for what they call healthy recipes, as well as slow cooker.
    I do not get breaks at work, well to use the restroom or fix my food, but that's it
    That's illegal.
    Check with the department of labor in your state: http://labor.alabama.gov/
    im pretty clueless in what macros and what I need for nutrition
    This will tell you your BMI, as well as how many calories to eat AND how many servings of various food groups you should have.
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Here are some tools that might help:
    http://www.nutrition.gov/weight-management/interactive-tools

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/?s_cid=cdc_homepage_topmenu_002

Also, the first post in my blog has lots of resources: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal
    All my posts have links to resources, or the places I find information (usually PubMed for studies, other solid scientific sites for general info).
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am probably not the best person to give you advice because, sadly, I am doing about the same thing as you at the moment, but I wanted to tell you a bit of my story.

I was an overweight teen (almost obese). At 20, away from my family, I decided to lose weight. Soon I was on 900kcal/day. Then 700. Then 600. I ended up at 400kcal/day. Sure, I lost tons of weight and didn't go into "starvation mode". Once I reached my skeletal target weight I managed to maintain it for 6 months.

Then the binges started. It took me less than 3 months to put back on the 70lbs I had lost.

I have been stuck into the binge-starve cycle ever since. It is not something you want to live with.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    no sense talking to her, she's decided what she's doing and won't listen to reason. The binges will start soon, and the heartbreaking WHAT WENT WRONG posts....If she was expecting lots of sympathy here instead of hard headed realism...she came to the wrong place. Ive been here long enough to have seen it a few dozen times.
  • gem2001
    gem2001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Y'all are being trolled. She wants attention, not advice.

I would suggest you not attempt to lose weight at all. You're not ready. Better to continue to ignore diet and exercise than to do more damage on a VLCD.

You don't have a food problem, you have a head problem and all of the advice about macros and calories and exercise isn't going to change that.

95% of dieters fail. Figure out a way to live a joy-filled amazing life at your current weight. Find something else to obsess over other than weight.

You're not ready to eat like a grown up and that's okay. You can still have a remarkable life as an obese person.
This discussion has been closed.