I got a gym membership! But now what?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Start with your doctor. They should be able to refer you to a physical therapist who can develop a plan for you which you can then take to a personal trainer at the gym.

This absolutely. The therapist can help you plan and they are qualified. Then find a nice gym where the trainers can translate what the therapist suggests. You shouldnt take risks and most gyms are very careful about members who have a medical condition.
    If you need to start and build then walking is a good place.

The pool as suggested also good becayse it supports your bodyweight.

Not sure what advice your dr might ive i.e whether you need to make sure your heart rate doesnt get over stressed, if so consider getting a HRM which will show you what your heart rate is and enable you to stay in safe zones and warn you if it rises above.
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Who are you getting dirty looks from?

If you think it's other gym-goers, quite frankly they can go **** themselves as what you do on your workout is none of their business. If it's the trainers, then they should be earning their money by speaking to you and trying to work out a programme with you. But are you sure you're getting dirty looks or are you just feeling a bit self conscious about going at your own pace?

I agree. I used to feel that way but now it I feel like I am paying the same $$ they are and I am not there for them, I am there for me and my family. They can leave it they don't like it. I also agree about the trainer and the doctor being able to help you out here. BTW...I am still about 70 pounds overweight and I do cardio but I focus on strength training because it is what makes me feel best. I know the muscle is still under a significant amount of fat but hey... I feel good and I am working on it!
  • miamouse3
    miamouse3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm not a Doctor so with that being said.
    I would try to walk either on the track, treadmill, or at home. Start slow and just go. Try to do a half mile to mile. If you need to stop Take a break or breaks. I started walking back and forth in the alley behind my house at first. Then progressed to longer walks.
    I know I recently switched to the elliptical at my gym and the machine will tell me my heart rate is to high. Also when I switched I had to take breaks. So you may want to avoid the elliptical.
    The bike's we have different ones at my gym. You could probably try riding on one of those without to much elevation in heart rate.
    I usually do about 10 different weight bearing machines at my gym start out low on. I know I can elevate my heart rate on those.
    Also does your gym have a pool?...I've heard the water aerobics are great. A lot of the older women at my gym take them, and they are less judge-mental.
    Have you checked into Clinic's in your new area based on income? I go to one here. (New Horizon). Mine's great and offer free classes on cholesterol, diabetes, and so forth. They even gave me a new blood sugar monitor and testing supplies.
    Once your able look into investing in a heart rate monitor if you can't find help in obtaining one.

Hope this helps

Thanks, I just saw your post :)

I learned the hard way my first week to keep off the normal ellipticals. My heart went funny. I don't think at this place in my health I should be near them. Maybe when I lose more weight. I used to love ellipticals.
    This one is different though, much easier. Helps keep my heart steady and I feel like I am actually doing something:
    (apparently its called a recumbent elliptical)
    https://www.octanefitness.com/home/products/recumbent-ellipticals/xr6000/
    What kind of weights do you do?
    We don't have a pool sadly. I love swimming.
    I am researching and saving for a monitor :). Any suggestions?
    I haven't been anywhere but the hospital and urgent cares around here, but I will see what we have in terms of clinics. Kind of afraid to go though (that sounds horrible). Apparently there are serious drug issues in my area. Serious heroine issues and etc.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. Get clearance and recommendations from your Doctor before you do anything over light cardio, etc.
    2. With Doctor recommendations in hand, find a good Personal trainer to help you given your unique situation.

Many times, heart problems can be helped by vigorous exercise BUT sometimes it can be fatal. Only a good doctor (cardiologist preferred here) can really tell you the difference. Best wishes on every success.
  • miamouse3
    Options
    I don't think you're going to like this answer but I'm going to say it anyway.

You don't need a workout plan tailored for "heavy women." All of those workouts you see for "skinny women" will also work for you. What you need to do is keep them low intensity (for your heart) and do the best you can. No one starts off able to do everything. You can tailor any workout to fit your needs, you just need to make sure you're challenging yourself and doing the best you can. If you still don't want to do this, there is nothing wrong with doing cardio on the elliptical or treadmill.

I would also suggest that you start weight training now, this way you lose minimal muscle on your weight loss journey. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ has a database of just about every free weight / cable / barbell exercise you could think of if you want to get away from machines.

How do I explain this without getting into a rant? I don't have the same mobility those women have. I have done home workouts and etc they show. I have physical limitations. Also known as fat. Large boobs. An inability to do a crunch or sit up if I were offered a great deal of money. I need something that suites me in the now, and then move on to those things when my abilities have improved.

As for the weights, you and others have mentioned this and that advice I do appreciate, and will do.
  • brennenjones
    brennenjones Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know how serious your heart condition is by I also have a pretty serious heart condition myself and of course I'm only speaking from my own experience but you're doing fine by just working on the elliptical machine.

I stayed on the elliptical machine for the first 2 and a half months of my workout journey and that's all I did. My doctor recommended this for me along with other exercises that I could do such as row machine, and exercise bike, but I liked elliptical machine the best.

I didn't do anything else in gym. I didn't lift weights or any of that. I just focused on elliptical and losing fat. I didn't do any crunches or things of that nature. I thought crunches were a waist of time as long as I had a gut surrounded in fat and wanted to get fat rid of fat. I didn't give a damn about what people thought also I never had that feeling that someone was staring at me either. I also modified my diet of course with help from MFP.

The first week I did 3 times a week, 30 minutes each time...

Second week 35 minutes...

Third week, I did 5 days a week at 35 minutes...

Fourth week kept it at 5 days and did 40 minutes...

By this time, I was burning around 500 calories in the gym, which was my goal.

Fifth week onward I did 45 minutes 5 days a week until I started to doing high interval training, I do 45 minutes regularly and then take 5 minute break and do 15 minutes of higher intensity so total time at this point would be 1 hour a day on elliptical machine.

I dropped 30 pounds the first 2 months. That was my biggest drop by far. Things are now starting to level out for me but I'm content on that as I've reached my initial goal. I want to lose 15 more pounds at most but don't care at this point if takes me 5 months to do that since I'm happy.

My only advice to you if to do what makes you happy and focus on that. Don't care about what others think. Sometimes they may not be thinking anything about you and it's all mental (coming from personal experience) and it's up to you get over that mental hurdle.

At my peak I was 270, I am now down to 204 and still haven't did one crunch. When I get down to 195, I plan to start doing more core exercises.

Right now, my workouts still consist of elliptical machine every day I go to gym which is at least 3 times a week now. I work out now 5-6 times a week...sometimes 7. I lift weights 3 days a week with the rest being elliptical machine, basketball, jogging, or some other cardio type exercise.

And this is coming from someone who again has a heart condition. I know it will take some time as I again don't know the severity of your illness but you can't let fear take over. I was scared at first but my will to live overpowered my fear and I feel so much better now as a result of it.
  • brennenjones
    Options

You don't need a workout plan tailored for "heavy women." All of those workouts you see for "skinny women" will also work for you. What you need to do is keep them low intensity (for your heart) and do the best you can. No one starts off able to do everything. You can tailor any workout to fit your needs, you just need to make sure you're challenging yourself and doing the best you can. If you still don't want to do this, there is nothing wrong with doing cardio on the elliptical or treadmill.

I would also suggest that you start weight training now, this way you lose minimal muscle on your weight loss journey. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ has a database of just about every free weight / cable / barbell exercise you could think of if you want to get away from machines.

How do I explain this without getting into a rant? I don't have the same mobility those women have. I have done home workouts and etc they show. I have physical limitations. Also known as fat. Large boobs. An inability to do a crunch or sit up if I were offered a great deal of money. I need something that suites me in the now, and then move on to those things when my abilities have improved.

As for the weights, you and others have mentioned this and that advice I do appreciate, and will do.

Don't focus on crunches, trust me! Focus on losing the fat first. I think you're headed in the right direction. I know men and women have different body types but it's still all the same science. Focus on cardio, cardio, and more cardio. I highly recommend the elliptical machine until maybe after you drop 30 pounds or more then do some of the other kind of workouts.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just don't lift super heavy, and plenty of rest between sets. Unless you are dead lifting or squatting near failure, it is very unlikely your heart rate would be elevated any higher than doing low impact cardio. Honestly, chances any trainer who works for a gym is qualified you advice are basically zero. you should consult a trainer who works for himself and will meet you at the gym. I have yet to meet a gym trainer who even knows what a macro is, let alone is able to establish a routine based on your needs. Chances are more likely they are going to push some bro split down your throat at very high reps and light weight.
  • rosiemaji
    rosiemaji Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that with anything you do now that you haven't done before or haven't done in a while to start easy. Add speed and/or effort in very small increments. When lifting weights, start light and go up very carefully especially when they start to feel "heavy". Back off from anything that makes you feel like your heart is becoming out of rhythm or you can't breathe right. Find the machines that work as many muscles in your body as possible without raising your heart rate too much. Listen to your cues that all is not right.

Look up "exercising with a leaky valve" on the internet and see how others have dealt with this problem. You may find some equipment, routines, exercises or suggestions that you haven't thought of before. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to both exercise and to protect your heart condition with what you have available. Don't worry about the ripped champions of the gym. You will be like them one day (it will take time for sure) but hopefully you will not be as smug as they are now. Right now, be your own champion.
  • miamouse3
    Options
    If professionals are being rude and talking about you to their clients, then I'd definitely speak to management. That's unprofessional. If it's just other gym-goers, I honestly wouldn't care, and good for you if you don't! You're all paying the same amount to use the equipment. I know it's hard to feel like you belong - I'm still intimidated and avoid the weight machines if there's a bunch of guys using them.

I don't have 100lbs to lose, but still a lot, like 60lbs, and this is what I do.

20 minutes on treadmill - start out running for as long as I can (I am currently up to 1 mile, but depends on your heart-stuff and what you're capable of, you may not even want to run at all), then walk for the rest of the time. I have zero problem walking on the treadmill - it's air conditioned, it is a set speed, it calculates your calories pretty closely, and best of all - there's a cable TV right in front of it lol. So screw anyone who thinks I should be walking outside instead!

Then I use the bicep machine, 10 reps lifting 15lbs. I do that 5 times. It is VERY low but I was on medical lifting restrictions for a long time so I am pretty weak right now. I rest for about 30 seconds between each set.

Then I do my triceps. I was a swimmer so mine are pretty strong, I can do about 35lbs on this. 10 reps, 5 sets again.

After that, I do the lat pulldown, not sure what weight I use but it's pretty low. 10x5. Then the chest/shoulder press on the lowest weight, and I can only do 10x3 on that. That's pretty much all the upper body machines we have at our gym. I avoid the leg machines on running days, but on non-running days I use the leg press machine and do squats.

Lifting usually takes me around 20 minutes, then I do another 20 minutes on the elliptical/cycling machine (how much I push myself depends on how I feel) and that's my hour.

It's a pretty low-impact workout IMO, but keeps my heart pumping at a decent rate the whole time - if you have heart problems you may want to keep your heart rate no higher than, say, 130, so you can lower the speed/weights until you're comfortable. You can take your pulse at various moments to see how you're doing, instead of buying a heart-rate monitor. Having a routine you feel good about completing is an important step, so I hope this helps!

Thank you, thats a lot of great advice! I thought about running, since I used to do it in high school and middle school, but I am worried about my heart. I think once I have less baggage, it will be less difficult on my heart. Because up until I gained all the weight I was doing fairly well. Jog/run the straights, walk the curves for track warm up, and I did the 70 and 100 meter sprints. because they thought it was asthma, the longer runs weren't for me. So I thought about once I drop the rate, running or jogging on the treadmill for short spurts, then walking. You know, intervals. It works well on other equipment for me.

Do your weight machines happen to be the kind with the movable stud, or the rounds you lift onto the bars? All of our weight machines have those separate weights on various stands around the gym that we load on to it. I appreciate knowing what weight you use, because I would probably need to start out low anyway. Doing work I can lift heavy objects, but doing reps with that sort of weight would be bad for my heart according to the heart blogs I read.

So you rotate cardio and strength training? I think low impact is something I should be looking up to find info on, because that sounds about right.

It really drives me crazy that I can't do the stuff I used to. I was way into cardio kick boxing and dance. Its a little too much for me currently though.

:) I do love the cardio machines, and that now they have ledges you can set a tablet or a phone on. The tv's are really nice additions, but my mother bought a tablet to take to Italy on her college graduation trip, and has been letting me use it since she got back. She's been living down here with me this summer. Seriously, wifi and things like hulu and netflix are a huuuge help when working out. I usually listen to music to block out everything around me, but turning on a show I can zone out and exercise and I'm not thinking about my muscles hurting or how long the work out is. Before I know it, I've finished my time on the machine. And I don't slack. It just makes it easier to put in the effort but not focus on stuff that slows me down.

Thank you for sharing your workout with me. This is info I was looking for, it will help me with ideas of what to do. I get in there and tend to blank or chicken because the guys in there just add to my stress. I don't know why people have to have attitudes. Compared to some of them I would say I am in need of the machines more than they are lol. But still, taking turns is important right?

Honestly I pay more than they do right now. I was worried about what would happen if I got laid off this winter (I work in a tourist fueled location- at a hotel) so signed for a three month. After the three months are up I get to keep the three month price. But the longer the contract I choose, the cheaper my price. I would have aimed for the year or six month and had a lot better of a price but again, I want to know I can afford it. My cell plan isn't even a contract. I won't sign up if I am worried I can't pay it.
  • miamouse3
    Options
    I did a blog post about exercise, giving general recommendations that should work for most healthy people:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080
    The OP might want to start at a lower weight than is recommended, both from being out of shape & from wanting to ease into lifting.

This bit about weightlifting says in part:
    There are 3 goals or types of weight training.
    Most people should start by building muscle.
    After a month or so of that, you can add in building endurance.
    Going for power is a more advanced technique, which I'll leave to the competitive weightlifters.

Free weights or machines?
    Machines reduce the chance that you can do something wrong & injure yourself, don't take as much understanding of what you're doing, and target specific muscles or groups.
    Free weights work more muscles in concert and allow for more exercises to be done in a smaller area, even at your home, but require learning how to do them correctly.

No matter which you're doing, you need to know the maximum amount you can lift, called the one-repetition maximum or 1RM.

For building muscle, you want to do 1 or 2 sets of 8-12 repetitions of a weight that's 70-85% of your 1RM.
    For building endurance, do 1 or 2 sets of 15-20 repetitions of a weight that's 50-65% of your 1RM.

Either way, start low on both weight & reps and work up.
    You should just be able to do the last 2-3 reps.
    When it gets easy to do the maximum # of reps, add 5 pounds and go back to the minimum # of reps.

(From the American College of Sports Medicine's book "Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th edition".)

Remember to work both sides of a joint (or the body) - if you're doing bicep curls, also do tricep extensions or dips. If you're doing quadricep extensions, also do hamstring curls. If you're doing abdominal curls, also do lower back extensions.

I opened the link and going to read it in a few minutes, thank you :). Endurance sounds like what I should be looking at. I appreciate all the help :). This part about working both sides of the joint I should probably read up on. I know how to work my legs (because of the sports I was into) but am clueless on my arms. the underside of my arm is flabby whereas the top I have more muscle.
  • miamouse3
    Options
    I don't know how serious your heart condition is by I also have a pretty serious heart condition myself and of course I'm only speaking from my own experience but you're doing fine by just working on the elliptical machine.

I stayed on the elliptical machine for the first 2 and a half months of my workout journey and that's all I did. My doctor recommended this for me along with other exercises that I could do such as row machine, and exercise bike, but I liked elliptical machine the best.

I didn't do anything else in gym. I didn't lift weights or any of that. I just focused on elliptical and losing fat. I didn't do any crunches or things of that nature. I thought crunches were a waist of time as long as I had a gut surrounded in fat and wanted to get fat rid of fat. I didn't give a damn about what people thought also I never had that feeling that someone was staring at me either. I also modified my diet of course with help from MFP.

Fifth week onward I did 45 minutes 5 days a week until I started to doing high interval training, I do 45 minutes regularly and then take 5 minute break and do 15 minutes of higher intensity so total time at this point would be 1 hour a day on elliptical machine.

I dropped 30 pounds the first 2 months. That was my biggest drop by far. Things are now starting to level out for me but I'm content on that as I've reached my initial goal. I want to lose 15 more pounds at most but don't care at this point if takes me 5 months to do that since I'm happy.

My only advice to you if to do what makes you happy and focus on that. Don't care about what others think. Sometimes they may not be thinking anything about you and it's all mental (coming from personal experience) and it's up to you get over that mental hurdle.

At my peak I was 270, I am now down to 204 and still haven't did one crunch. When I get down to 195, I plan to start doing more core exercises.

Right now, my workouts still consist of elliptical machine every day I go to gym which is at least 3 times a week now. I work out now 5-6 times a week...sometimes 7. I lift weights 3 days a week with the rest being elliptical machine, basketball, jogging, or some other cardio type exercise.

And this is coming from someone who again has a heart condition. I know it will take some time as I again don't know the severity of your illness but you can't let fear take over. I was scared at first but my will to live overpowered my fear and I feel so much better now as a result of it.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was asking for.

I have a bicuspid aoritc valve with insufficiency. Normally its not horrible, just requires a lot of monitoring. Most aren't bothered by it until they are older and have stenosis. The regurge I experience risks weakening my left ventricle, which is why I have to be more vigilant than normal, that combined with a history of anxiety and the occasional chest pains and irregular beats. Honestly, other than my cardiologist that I couldn't continue to see and a doctor in an ER on vacation (wasn't even there for my heart, I injured my ankle) doctors do the doctor equivalent of an eye roll. They won't take me seriously. I receive similar idiocy about my bipolar. Doctors won't listen but forget that no two bipolar patients are alike and it takes a lot of experimenting to find the right blend of medication and therapies. My past docs just wanted to prescribe me things and be done with it. Now I have more health issues because they wouldn't listen to me when I said the medications were causing issues (key one being the SSRIs pushed me further into a depression). Once I have proper coverage again I plan to find doctors I can trust.

Did you or do you use a regular standing elliptical, or the recumbent one? I've been using the one thats like a bike but with the arm things and the larger pedals. Now and then I go on the other, but I can only do about ten minutes. The tops of my thighs and one of my calves like to seize up on me.

My main fear was because not long after I started out (and I am not sure if it was because of the gym, work, or stress) I started having chest pains, numbness in my finger tips, throbbing fullness in my neck, and occasional sharp, shooting pain in my arms or mid back/shoulder area followed by an ache in those locations. I would get short of breath, and I was getting really worried because they weren't going away. I stopped working out for a few days, I kept things easy and tried relaxing and being calm, and eventually took aspirin. You know what the ER Doctor said (my girlfriend made me go, took me to urgent care first, they sent me to the ER) to me? Heartburn. As if I've never had heartburn before. I know the difference. He also said he found no proof of the existence of my heart defect. I don't know what made me angrier, both were a slap in the face. It was like he called me a liar.

After that though, I've just been afraid to overdo it. I'll try to stop being worried and just do things but be safe about it.

Thank you for sharing how you do things with me, it really does help.
  • miamouse3
    Options

Don't focus on crunches, trust me! Focus on losing the fat first. I think you're headed in the right direction. I know men and women have different body types but it's still all the same science. Focus on cardio, cardio, and more cardio. I highly recommend the elliptical machine until maybe after you drop 30 pounds or more then do some of the other kind of workouts.

Thanks. I'm steering clear from crunches, thats for sure. Thats why I've been looking for other things to do. I'm glad to know I'm going the right direction with the cardio, though. Will help me feel less like I'm wandering around unsure of what I am doing.
  • miamouse3
    Options
    Just don't lift super heavy, and plenty of rest between sets. Unless you are dead lifting or squatting near failure, it is very unlikely your heart rate would be elevated any higher than doing low impact cardio. Honestly, chances any trainer who works for a gym is qualified you advice are basically zero. you should consult a trainer who works for himself and will meet you at the gym. I have yet to meet a gym trainer who even knows what a macro is, let alone is able to establish a routine based on your needs. Chances are more likely they are going to push some bro split down your throat at very high reps and light weight.

Thank you. What do you recommend doing between sets? Is stretching ideal, or is there something better to give me an adequate amount of time and rest between them? I would feel strange just standing or sitting somewhere between.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you have a diagnosed heart condition and are also having currently worrying symptoms, get off the itnernet , do not follow random advice you get from strangers who are neither experts nor know your medical history, and get a dr. Stop the gym memberhip if money is an issue, and pay the dr, since this is the first priority. Losing weight can happen with limiting calories alone, getting in better shape can start by walking an hour per day, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose, as long as your dr allows you to do this. And it is easier to control the pace and not risk your health. A thousand posters can tell you their favourite weight lifting routine, their favourite type of classes or their favourite running program. But your dr might tell you that where you are now, these routines will kill you, who knows?
  • brennenjones
    Options
    Did you or do you use a regular standing elliptical, or the recumbent one? I've been using the one thats like a bike but with the arm things and the larger pedals. Now and then I go on the other, but I can only do about ten minutes. The tops of my thighs and one of my calves like to seize up on me.

I use a regular standing one....at first it was hard but it gets easy quite fast. Start at a low level such as 1. Use the manual program options then as the weeks go by increase the intensity. But If I were you, just focus on a number for how many calories you want to burn, say 500 and get there. I go by the machine's estimate for what my calorie burn should be although I know it's not 100 percent correct but it's a start.

If you burn 500 calories a day at the gym, then cut out at least 500 calories from your diet, that's how you'll lose 2 pounds a week.

When I was first starting out I was at least a 1000 calorie deficit with diet and then the 500 plus calories working out. I was losing 3-4 pounds a week. I had a week where I lost 5 pounds! The bigger you are, if you're able to follow this, you should drop pounds easily. Again, when I first started I was 270, I am now 204 so now the pounds aren't coming off quite as fast and I'm also eating more than when I first started.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options

This is good advice. Don't go all out at first. Build up gradually. Also the advice on focusing on your nutrition is very sound. I did have a trainer at one point and he waited until I lost 10 pounds before making a workout routine.
    For the first 10 pounds all I did was watch what I ate and I walked on the treadmill.
    Don't let the idiots at the gym bother you. I bet there are other folks that see you and think..."Good for her, she is here, she is brave". That's what I think when I see people that need to lose like I do.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I start going back to the gym on a regular basis, I start small and work up.

Begin with what feels comfortable to you for 20 minutes and try to do this 3x/week. Start tracking your heart rate when you exercise on cardio equipment (I do 5 minute stints, testing heart rate for 30sec at every 5 minute mark without an actual monitor) and try to aim for a HR goal. Gyms and the internet have good information on how you can find your target HR. You'll reach that HR based on your fitness level. An athlete will need to do a lot more work to get a 150 HR than you or I would.

Once you have re-introduced physical exercise and given yourself something to look at, begin increasing. My favorite method is to increase time to a goal. Each week, add 5 more minutes to your cardio time. Once I'm at 30 minutes cardio 3x/week, I start adding in weights.

For weights, I always track my weight lift. A circuit is actually what our gym does for the old people that are trying to get fit and is what I start with - every type machine 1x each, 12-15 reps at whatever weight you can do 12-15 reps. I would do this on my non-cardio days with a warm-up of 15-20 minutes cardio (as opposed to my 30 minutes on cardio days). Don't forget to stretch!!! I've pulled my back SO many times because I never stretched my hamstrings. Seriously - stretch - even on non-weight days. Even on resting days. Muscles will be tight when you first start.

After a couple weeks of this, I'll start adding more time to my cardio days with a goal in mind (work up to 40 or 60 min). Once there, I'll start focusing on changing my strength training to something more focused on building muscle.

By the time you get to actually looking for strength training routines, you should feel much more comfortable in the gym and a little more familiar with the machines and not quite so intimidated.
  • miamouse3
    Options
    If you have a diagnosed heart condition and are also having currently worrying symptoms, get off the itnernet , do not follow random advice you get from strangers who are neither experts nor know your medical history, and get a dr. Stop the gym memberhip if money is an issue, and pay the dr, since this is the first priority. Losing weight can happen with limiting calories alone, getting in better shape can start by walking an hour per day, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose, as long as your dr allows you to do this. And it is easier to control the pace and not risk your health. A thousand posters can tell you their favourite weight lifting routine, their favourite type of classes or their favourite running program. But your dr might tell you that where you are now, these routines will kill you, who knows?

A gym membership costing about as much as a cell phone plan is more affordable than the couple hundred per appointment just to be seen, excluding the tests and etc they ALWAYS run. Each doctors appointment costs 300 and upward for me. If I quit the gym, I quit the only form of healthcare I can afford. You seriously don't understand what I mean about the fact that I am broke. My checking balance is $22.10 right now. My savings? $0. Had to take what little (and I mean $200) I had when my previous job cut me to 8 HOURS A WEEK.

I AM GOING TO IGNORE ANYONE AT THIS POINT WHO CONTINUES TO PUSH THE DOCTOR, SPECIALISTS, TRAINERS, AND ETC AT THIS POINT. THOSE ARE NOT CURRENTLY OPTIONS.

Zero. Ability. To. See. A. Doctor. Can. NOT. Drive. Two. Hours. To. Pay. FULL. COST. Regardless. To. See. Any. Of. Those.

DOCTOR = NOT AN OPTION

TRAINER = NOT AN OPTION

PHYSICAL THERAPIST = NOT AN OPTION

NUTRITIONALIST = NOT AN OPTION

DIETITIAN = NOT AN OPTION

ANY KIND OF SPECIALIST = NOT AN OPTION

I don't get why that is so hard to grasp. Isn't anyone aware that there are thousands of people who can't afford to see a physician and have to do what they can on their own, at least for the time being?

I am up to my ears in medical debt and student loans. The one luxury I can afford is a damn gym membership. Should I not be able to pay it, my father refuses to let me quit and will cover it because it is an absolute necessity that I fight the direction my health is headed. I can't let him do that. So I cough up the money for it, which is fine. Its bad enough my partner Ash was willing to pay my urgent care bill this past winter. I can't keep letting people pay for things. They can't afford it, I can't afford it. I can afford to go to the gym. I can afford to take vitamins, and I can save for a heart monitor. I can not afford to have one more law office harassing me over medical debts. I can't afford that to pay cash up front when doctors realize I don't have the benefit of a copay until I receive and pay $5,000 worth of medical services. You don't even want to know the percent of my expected annual income that is BEFORE taxes.

I am working on getting a different form of insurance, but until then STOP IT WITH THE DOCTOR SUGGESTIONS.

And the people suggesting Trainers, you need to stop too. Do you guys even read anything posted other than the initial post? I have explained my situation over and over. At this point I am just beyond embarrassed and feeling like I am being treated as if I am an idiot. If I had those options, I would have used them rather than asking a bunch of people with bad attitudes and beyond obvious answers. I would have had it handled rather than being made to feel like an idiot on a forum.

I am not asking people to be my doctors. I was looking for suggestions for workouts.

Appropriate people to answer:
    -Fellow heart patients
    -People with or who have had +100 lbs to lose
    -Women who find the usual workouts difficult or uncomfortable to attempt
    -People who have had to take it easy with their fitness for any reason, and have suggestions for getting started

Appropriate things to suggest:
    -Work outs that have worked for you
    -Links with good information regarding fitness, heart patient fitness, +100 weight loss information, low impact cardio routines for the gym
    -Tips and advice for making the most out of my workouts
    -Routines and information that is effective in achieving goals like mine.

If I die from exercising.. Well, at least I went down fighting. Its better than not trying and subjecting myself to letting my heart struggle to pump blood through a body too heavy for it. By exercising, I am at least trying to make my heart stronger and to lessen its burden.
    I can't sit on the couch until my situation fixes its self and I can magically visit all these doctors and specialists who will tell me the same thing most of the people kind enough to help on here have. Watch my caloric intake, get a heart rate monitor, pay attention to what my heart is telling me with symptoms and come in again if anything gets worse or new symptoms appear.
    The last time I saw my cardiologist, he wanted to do a holter monitor to see what my heart was doing and catch any abnormal activity that might not present itself while doing in office testing. He wanted me to keep an eye on my blood pressure, and to make sure I take something if I feel an anxiety attack coming on. I never completed my holter monitor testing due to insurance complications, but I do have a supply of prescribed ativan to be used only as necessary, and I am trying to follow basic diet and exercise while being careful of my heart condition.

I just wanted wanted WORK OUT SUGGESTIONS. Why is that so hard? Why is it so difficult? If you don't have any, just don't post! Its not a difficult concept to grasp..
  • miamouse3
    Options

I use a regular standing one....at first it was hard but it gets easy quite fast. Start at a low level such as 1. Use the manual program options then as the weeks go by increase the intensity. But If I were you, just focus on a number for how many calories you want to burn, say 500 and get there. I go by the machine's estimate for what my calorie burn should be although I know it's not 100 percent correct but it's a start.

If you burn 500 calories a day at the gym, then cut out at least 500 calories from your diet, that's how you'll lose 2 pounds a week.

When I was first starting out I was at least a 1000 calorie deficit with diet and then the 500 plus calories working out. I was losing 3-4 pounds a week. I had a week where I lost 5 pounds! The bigger you are, if you're able to follow this, you should drop pounds easily. Again, when I first started I was 270, I am now 204 so now the pounds aren't coming off quite as fast and I'm also eating more than when I first started.

I shall try that. I usually don't last long but doing it small and slowly doing more, a little at a time, is something I should definitely do.
    What you are doing is obviously working well if you are fairing so well. Thank you, I will work on applying that to what I am doing. That is a pretty fantastic drop, congrats. Did you mention how long it has taken you? I know not to expect it to come off instantly, or what worked and how long for one person to work for me, I just wonder what kind of timelines. Looking at other's timelines may not be the same as mine, but it will help me with setting those mini goals and etc someone suggested. :)