"If every day were like today". . .

Options
Does anyone else find this discouraging at the end of the day when you complete your food diary and it says "If every day were like today you would weigh . . . in five weeks"? Even when I stay within my calorie range and exercise 30 minutes a day, the number it shows is very discouraging if it's not going to come off any faster than that.

Replies

• cshulga
    cshulga Posts: 17
    Options
    Actually I find this very motivating... it's what keeps me here. If I stay within my calorie range, it's always a desirable number. Is your goal at 1200 cals a day? If it's more than that, then I could see why your number may not be that motivating. ?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    initially i found it mildly annoying,as if it was promising me something but no accountability.
    now after more than 5 weeks, it was spot on.
    i have lost as predicted, so know i use it as a tiny part of keep me motivated.
    you can tell us what its predicting today and follow up in 5 weeks maybe?
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I like it! Remember, slow and steady...
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i like it. when i eat well, i am motivated to do that the next day and the next day. when i eat poorly, i am able to see what the consequences of my actions will be.
  • Herrera1960
    Herrera1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's set at 1200, but it just seems like no more than I'm eating that it should be coming off faster than what it predicts.
  • Herrera1960
    Herrera1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's predicting 175 in 5 weeks - a ten pound loss. But it just seems like it should be coming off faster than that. I will be glad to let you know in five weeks. But in the meantime, I have a week-long cruise so I'm not sure how well that's going to go!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I find it unmotivating and annoying as hell because it's usually wrong. I stopped completing my diary and I don't see it anymore.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I find it unmotivating and annoying as hell because it's usually wrong. I stopped completing my diary and I don't see it anymore.

This. I ignore it. It doesn't serve much of a purpose.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I find it not entirely accurate.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I find it very motivating and it has been dead on for me.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Well, remember that you're not supposed to lose any more than two pounds a week, generally speaking. That's the medical advice. I could be wrong but I don't think the system will predict anything more than two pounds a week. And if your net calories are below 1200 it will tell you that you're not eating enough.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It's predicting 175 in 5 weeks - a ten pound loss. But it just seems like it should be coming off faster than that.

It seems it should be coming off faster than 2 pounds a week? According to whom? Where are you getting this information? Did you put it on faster than 2 lbs a week? Bet you $100 you didn't.

Be fair to your body. Give yourself REASONABLE goals and timelines, don't push what will come naturally. You're not in a race, there's no fire. Relax, calm down and just let it happen.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    If it's right, in five weeks I think I will have to turn in my "man card"....
  • kaylashaw1987
    kaylashaw1987 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like it! It might be a little off in either direction, but seeing the potential if I stick with it and don't cheat helps me out.
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I actually don't like that little notification either. For some reason it just always feels like false hope. Every day is different, and we're not always going to steadily lose weight, even if we eat the perfect number of calories each day. I also just don't like predicting how fast i can get down to a certain number, i just eat as well as i can, and if i get there i get there. it gives me less disappointment, which helps me not get discouraged as easily.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds in five weeks is the most you should hope to lose safely. Not sure why this wouldn't be motivating.

I also feel like it brings some perspective into what my calories in/out relates to.