Low carb breakfasts without eggs?

Options
I'm insulin resistant and have been eating low carb for a few months but am getting to my breaking point with food choices. I've never been one for breakfast. If I ate it, it would always be cereal, but now I can't have that. I've never cared for eggs/bacon/sausage/pancakes/waffles. Almost everything normally considered breakfast. I know I need to eat breakfast, but really don't want to eat meat in the morning, and I just don't like eggs. I can stomach yogurt, but still not my favorite.

Should I just eat foods that I would normally eat later in the day? Or maybe just a protein shake? Suggestions?

Replies

• epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I've been on Metformin for the last 4 years haha, I'm still trying to get off it! Breakfasts for me were tricky as well. I mix things up by having protein + carbs together (could be protein shake with oatmeal one day, greek yoghurt + fruit the next). Have a look at my food diary if you want to see the different things :)

How do your blood sugars react if you have carbs + protein together? For me, protein shakes have stopped me from falling asleep with sugar highs! XD

*edit*: Oh my God how could I forget to add PEANUT BUTTER?! Peanut butter helps slow down the absorption of carbs for me as well, and it tastes soooo goood ^_^
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,723 Member
    Options
    I normally have yoghurt with just 10g-15g of granola on top to add some crunch and flavour. I also have a couple of unconventional components. Some Ryvita or Finn Crisp rye crackers with smoked salmon or smoked mackerel, some raw snow peas dipped in humous.
  • aedwards6694
    aedwards6694 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My blood sugar never really fluctuates that much. Without Metformin my fasting blood sugar is about 95, but it hasn't been checked in a while. I first started taking it 4 years ago but it made me super sick so my doctor had me stop. She put me back on it a couple months ago and gave me extended release at a lower dose and I've been ok. I need to go get my insulin levels checked and see how it's doing.

Ya know, I'm not really sure how well I react to protein and carbs together because I never really paid attention to it. Pretty much all my carbs now either come from veggies, fiber, and sometimes yogurt. I've only had bread a couple times in the last few months and didn't notice a big change in anything. Paying more attention to my body I figured out why I get headaches all the time though. If I don't eat every few hours I get cranky, tired, and a mean headache. It's happened since elementary school but I never realized the connection.

I think the hardest part about this is that my family doesn't understand it and they don't want to learn. I grew up in a house where our diet was probably about 80% carbs and relearning eating habits is difficult for me, but I have pretty good self control if I know what I'm supposed to do. I'm having a hard time figuring out things to eat because I'm living at home while I'm in college and don't really have a say in what is bought. I don't care what they want to eat and I'm more than happy to cook for myself, but there's only so many times I can take eating salads and canned tuna before I go nuts lol. Pretty much any meat bought is reserved for dinners they make. They also only eat once a day. If I'm lucky I can make it to 1200 calories a day, but most of the time I can't find anything to eat. I would love to be able to just buy my own food but I've learned I can't balance school and work very well. I'm not really sure what to do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yogurt or cottage cheese or ricotta with fruit.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I had 150g of peanut butter, 50g of cookies and cream flavoured whey, 60ml of semi-skimmed milk and a little bit of water before. I just blended it all together. I'm doing carb back loading so I have the majority of my fat in take in the morning.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant and have been eating low carb for a few months but am getting to my breaking point with food choices. I've never been one for breakfast. If I ate it, it would always be cereal, but now I can't have that. I've never cared for eggs/bacon/sausage/pancakes/waffles. Almost everything normally considered breakfast. I know I need to eat breakfast, but really don't want to eat meat in the morning, and I just don't like eggs. I can stomach yogurt, but still not my favorite.

Should I just eat foods that I would normally eat later in the day? Or maybe just a protein shake? Suggestions?

yup. That's what I do :wink: Leftovers are good. I was never really a breakfast person & certainly not the 'pancake' type (blech) so I currently have a large buttered coffee with coconut oil (aka: bulletproof coffee). For under 300 cal, it's something that will keep me satisfied for the first 3 hours or so after waking.

I've been keto for more than a year (T2D) and I've recently found I can handle more than 20 g of carbs per day without making my BG go bananas. I'm up to about 60-90 g of carb per day now, but just 3 weeks ago I couldn't handle more than 8-12 g of carb per meal/snack.

Chia seed hot cereal is also good. Ham & cheese is yummy too. You can check out my diary if you like for ideas, & brands of foods. I admit there isn't a great deal of variety in there as far as packaged foods, I cook from scratch when I run out of 'grab & go' food :laugh:

edited for typos
  • BarbRigg
    BarbRigg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Years ago I was a member of a forum that I can no longer find which is horrible because it was an amazing resource of recipes!

One that I used often was for a flax meal bread that you can make in the microwave. I used a glass that was about 4" in diameter and ended up with a (kind of) English muffin.

1 egg
    1 tbsp. Butter
    1 Splenda packet.
    splash of Vanilla Extract
    pinch of cinnamon (I use a lil more than a pinch )
    2 tbsp. Flaxseed Meal
    1/4 tsp. Baking Powder

Melt the butter in a microwave safe dish. Add the eggs and vanilla (also add DaVinci's if you're using it). Mix with a fork. Add the dry ingredients, cover with a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes.

I liked to cut it in half and spread butter, Splenda and cinnamon on it! You can do a lot of things with it though.

I edited the post because I found the site and the original recipe! Good thing since I didn't have it correct.
  • Armik
    Armik Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I had gestational diabetes and had to be super careful for my baby's sake, I ate a lot of flaxmeal. Flaxmeal muffins and pancakes are really pretty good. I topped with peanut butter and a drizzle (the tiniest bit possible) of honey.