Low Carb Crockpot Ideas

Options
Hello all! I am about to start a very intense internship for my undergrad and I'm looking for healthy, low-carb crockpot ideas that I can make to have ready by the time I come home each night and to take for lunches as left overs. I've been making the Salsa chicken forever it seems and need some new ideas!

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I really like making Indian and Thai Curry in my slow cooker. You can make Thai Curry Soup: http://www.foodiecrush.com/2013/10/slow-cooker-thai-chicken-soup/

Or regular Thai Curry, just throw it all in the crock: http://www.thaikitchen.com/Recipes/Chicken-Beef-and-Pork/Thai-Red-Curry.aspx

Or Indian Curry: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/17202/slow-cooker-butter-chicken.aspx?o_is=Hub_TopRecipe_1

My favorite thing about these is you can throw in whatever veggies you have in the house.

I am making a thai curry soup today with baby corn, carrots and red peppers.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A meaty stew, maybe? I would brown some stew beef w/garlic and onions, add it with as much veggies as you like to the crock pot. cover with beef stock/onion soup mix, add 1tbls tomato paste, sprinkle w/ rosemary & sage, and cook for 4ish hours/high or 8ish on low. Dash of worcester sauce if you have it. You can't go wrong!

I saw a ranch chicken recipe that looked good that I forgot to save too. It used the ranch dressing powder packets. I would also love to try a cheesy broccoli soup made in the crockpot too.

Hope my vague ideas help lol.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Last spring mmerry5 shared this recipe for Beef Lentil Soup that has become one of my family's favorites.

Beef Lentil Soup

1 lb lean beef cut into small chunks
    1 cup chopped Celery
    1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped onions
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    ½ - 1 cup quick barley
    1 cup lentils
    1 cup diced potatoes
    2 containers chicken broth (cover everything with broth)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 can Diced tomatoes

Add all the ingredients to your crockpot, except the tomatoes. (Brown the beef in a little olive oil first for added flavor if you like or just put it in to save time and calories.) Cook on low for about 6-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Add tomatoes for the last one or two hours of cooking time.

Mmerry5 says the recipe builder gives 134 cals, 24 carbs, 3 fat, 11 protein, 3 fiber for 12 servings.

I have made it without the barley and it's still great. I've used beef or veggie stock in place of the chicken, delicious too. I've added other vegetables I have on hand, like a sweet potato, cabbage, squash etc. I usually add the lentils at the end, along with the tomatoes. Sometimes I add frozen peas then too. All good. It makes a lot and freezes great in little containers.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A couple more ideas we like..
    For an Italian version twist to the salsa chicken you've been making put boneless skinless chicken breasts (or pork loin chops) in your crock pot with a can of stewed tomatoes and sprinkle in some basil, oregano, garlic (or Italian Seasoning, that's easy to keep on hand). Chunk up bell peppers and an onion and add those to the crock pot. You could add zucchini, green beans, pea pods etc. according to your tastes or what's in season. Cook on low all day. When you get home pour off the yummy juice and use it as the liquid you need to make brown rice (or to cook lentils or pasta). Shred the meat apart a bit with a fork (really easy, very tender) and serve over your rice.... or substitute a low carb tortilla.

Another easy one we like is to just plop one whole chicken or a turkey breast into your crock pot. Spritz with a little mist of olive oil and sprinkle on some poultry seasoning. Cook on low all day. When you get home put a bag of Steamfresh veggies that you like into the microwave. Dinner will be ready in about 6 minutes! You can season and then use the roasted chicken to make fajitas etc. if you don't want to repeat the same meal.