Should I track my sugars?

Options
My account is actually fairly new, so this hasn't been a recurring theme for THAT long, but every single day, I'm over my goal in sugars. I would normally take this as a cause for concern, but when I look at what's adding to the count, it's a glass of milk, an orange, and a fourth cup of grapes. It's not like I'm binge-eating skittles, yanno?

Do you track your sugars, and if you do, do you always go over, like me? Should I track something else? I've considered tracking my potassium because I have a small deficiency in that.

Make words about it, I'd like some opinions on the matter.

Replies

• shellsy0424
    shellsy0424 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I personally do track all my sugars and until I get to my goal weight. I do avoid fruit a lot because of the sugar content. This is just my personal opinion, I know everyone is different and since fruit is natural sugar they tend not to worry about it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues there is no real need. MFPs limit is actually very low. I personally never look at mine
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues there is no real need. MFPs limit is actually very low. I personally never look at mine

Agree with this. If you have a medical condition that you need to monitor your sugar then yes, but I don't track my sugar I replaced it with fiber. Potassium would be a good one since you say this is a problem area for you.

Sugar is not evil, fruit sugar, white sugar, brownies whatever can all be part of a well balanced healthy diet. If you look at my diary I eat fruits, ice cream, baked goods whatever and make it work while still eating lean meats and veggies.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Grapes are second only to banana in sugar content. Lower sugar fruits are available.

The current MFP limit is not as low as many say, it used to be lower until January. It is now in line with various guidelines.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181259-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-revised-faq-jan-2014
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    I only track four nutrients and sugar isn't one. I track the three major macros(carbs, fat, protein) and fiber. I have no medical issues that require me to watch my sugars.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    No. I track for macros, fiber, and vitamins a and c.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i was tracking my sugars (which was set at the default MFP gave me based on my goals), and was always going over cause of all the fruit i'm eating... recently replaced my sugar tracking with fiber... cause i'm not gonna stop eating all of said fruits.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugars or carbs. I track protein, fiber, fats, calcium, vitamin A, etc. Interestingly enough, when I hit my protein and fiber goals, when I go back and look at sugar and carbs, they're rarely so far over the recommendations that I don't fret.

There are only so many calories in your meal plan, and if you work to meet the tracked goals, it sort of balances out in the end.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    I only concern myself with things that have "added sugar". Natural sugar I don't worry about as long as I don't go over my carbs (I keep a 40/40/20 split).
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I tracked sugar. Not sure whether it was a coincidence or not; but at the same it I lost a lot of weight and fat. My understanding is if you go over on sugar, but stay under on carbs you'll be ok; but that's harder to do (cos you'll be hungry more often)
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I only do for medical reasons.
  • thyme4
    thyme4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do track sugars because for me, there is a clear link between sugar and cravings. If I keep my total sugar for the day less than 40g, no cravings. It has been much easier for me to stick to my program when I am not craving sweets all the time. But if it isn't a trigger for you, and no other health reason to suggest sugar problems, then no need to specifically track them. Your carb macro will catch them.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    all food turns into sugar eventually so just stick with the basis macros and move on. There is no need to get too focused on a bunch of numbers