Examples of healthier choices??

Options
Hey everyone just wondering if you guys have any healthier choices you made by swamping one thing out for another??? I don't drink much milk only in cereal but when I do, I do 1% but I hear a lot of people drinking almond milk instead??? Does it save cals?? and any other ideas would be great...THANKS

Replies

• melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I like Blue Diamond vanilla almond milk with a hint of honey on my cereal. It is great on "plain" cereals that I used to put sugar on. 60 calories for a full cup!

I also like Peter Pan whipped peanut butter. It's so fluffy it goes a little further on my sandwich at 150 calories vs 190-200 for regular.

I like Arnold or Fiber one sandwich thins, or Sara Lee 45 calorie bread.

I like Sargento Ultra Thin cheese slices, 40 calories for REAL cheese.
  • melissamarie2196
    melissamarie2196 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Melissa, all the little ideas help so much :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Lower calorie choices are not necessarily healthier choices. Look for nutrient rich foods that are not calorie dense. Vegetables fit this well. Replace breads with whole grains like bulgur, brown rice, etc. Look for high fiber in cereals if you must eat them. There's lots of good information at the NutritionSource.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    YOu may save calories with almond milk but full cream milk is healthier unless you are lactose intolerance. Ther's not much going on in almond milk. A total waste of money in my view. At least soy tastes all right in coffee.

I'd rather eat almonds.
    Learn how to love lentils, chickpeas and beans.

Look up chickpea soups such as revithosoupa and lablabi.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's not just about calories. Cow milk has more protein than almond milk too. Personally I can't stand almond milk in cereal anyway, but I'll use it in smoothies or some recipes.

And 'healthy' is really relative... it's more about reducing calories when possible, for things you don't really care about. Like, I love cheese, but if I want some cheddar in tacos or omelets, I'll use low fat instead, as you don't taste it as much... but will use full fat gorgonzola, goat or feta cheese in salads, for example. Same with burgers, for me a 95% ground beef burger is as satisfying as a 80% one, so I'll save 150-200 calories on a homemade burger... but arguably a 85% patty would make me full longer.

It's pretty much about how you want to spend your calories... I can't stand most sugar free stuff so I go for the regular version etc.
  • melissamarie2196
    Options
    Thank you...
  • melissamarie2196
    Options
    Thank you for the advice..
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    While certain things (like coffee) need to be made with cow's milk, I have found it incredibly helpful to substitute unsweetened original almond milk (30 calories per cup) in recipes, cereals, or hot cocoa mixes. It's very low caloric, similar in taste, and high in calcium.

I have also switched my omelets from being eggs only to including only one egg, half a cup of egg whites (67 calories, but adds a lot of volume and protein to the overall meal), veggies, and part-skim string cheese (50 calories).

Instead of making sandwiches with two slices of regular bread, I use a whole grain or light english muffin (100 calories), which is just as filling and saves me some calories as well. It's also thicker, but not as wide, which gives you less room to add high caloric fillings or spreads.

Rather than using butter (100 calories per tablespoon), I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light Spread (45 calories per tablespoon and 10% Vitamin A).

Rather than sitting down with a bowl of high calorie ice cream, I savor frozen yogurt (Turkey Hill's Neapolitan is only 90 calories per 1/2 cup and has 25% calcium), or other frozen desserts such as Arctic Zero's Cookies and Cream or Coffee pint (150 calories for entire container), and So Delicious No Sugar Added Coconut Milk Ice Creams (or even their regular versions, which still have lots of filling fiber).

When preparing ground beef, you can also save a great deal of calories by selecting a leaner cut (I aim for 93% lean, 7% fat).

Another big one was switching from regular Mayonnaise to Light (90 calories per tablespoon vs only 35).

I could go on forever, but the main thing to take away is that you should always pay attention to labels, and you'll soon realize small substitutions can make the world of a difference. Cutting as little as 10 calories here and there, for example, can really add up throughout the day.

But anything can be enjoyed in moderation, so if you're going to cut something out from your diet, don't let yourself get to the point of ever feeling deprived. Make substitutions you can live with and feel good about, not something you have to force yourself to eat every day to meet your goals, because then it will only be a short-term change that sets you up for a disaster down the road.

I wish you the best of luck! :)
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of soy milk over almond, you get more protein and some good fat that way. I switched to only eating Total cereal, it's 100 calories a serving and chock full of good nutrients.

In general, greek yogurt. In everything. Anything that calls for sour cream or cream cheese, I'd suggest greek yogurt instead. No fat, high protein, and hella less calories. If you're a fan of ranch dressing, buy the powder mix and mix it with greek yogurt instead, I can't taste the difference and its much healthier.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Lower calorie choices are not necessarily healthier choices. Look for nutrient rich foods that are not calorie dense. Vegetables fit this well. Replace breads with whole grains like bulgur, brown rice, etc. Look for high fiber in cereals if you must eat them. There's lots of good information at the NutritionSource.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

exactly.

healthier isnt about being lower calorie. it's about getting your nutritionally needs met.

things i look for are higher fiber and protein in my meal replacement bars, and more fat and protein in my yogurt
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I swap out mayo and replace with avocado.. I wind up using the same calories because I use a huge slab of avocado but avocado gives more nutrition and is TASTY so I often make the substitution.

I swap out sour cream and replace with yogurt.

I swap out butter for slightly less butter. saves calories this way.

I make salad dressing by blending roasted cashews, half an orange, ginger, vinegar and sesame seeds and spices. Has more calories than "reduced calorie" dressing but it's real nutrition.

I sub out bleu cheese dressing for "green cheese" dressing. made with yogurt, avocado, onion, garlic, salt and gorgonzola cheese. It's a beautiful green color and has fewer calories than regular bleu cheese but it's giving you good nutrition so you don't have to skimp on it.

The above dressing needs something to dip in it. So I sub out chicken wings for chicken breast which has been cut into strips and marinated then panfried in a bit of butter. Then I toss in some Frank's.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well...I like to snack ssooo:
    Swapped out regular popcorn bags with small, mini, 100 calorie popcorn bags (Smart pop).
    I replaced whole milk with skim
    I make my own mochas now rather than Starbucks.
    Frozen meals (Banquet or Michelina's) rather than eating out.
    Weight Watchers ice cream rather than the regular.
    Diet soda rather than regular.
  • rosiemaji
    rosiemaji Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One thing that a lot of people don't think about when cutting calories for weight loss is reducing portion size and reducing frequency rather than being completely deprived of something. If you really want some of that dessert sitting in your pantry, you might be able to have some of it and even have it fit into your calorie and fat goals by reducing the portion size. Since I have somehow blissfully moved beyond the stage of craving carbs, I can eat anywhere from 1/5th to 1/2 of a portion of a cake or pie and be satisfied. The other day I had 1/5th portion of some kind of torte cake. It tasted sooo good, I really didn't want more than that and I worked it into my daily MFP goals. Dessert does not happen every meal or even every day and so it tastes better when I do have it. When you experience something less frequently, it brings so much more pleasure when you do have it. This is not just about food. If something makes us happy, having more of it will not necessarily make us happier.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I found that taking water with my Whiskey instead of other mixers saved me a few calories
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Nutrition? Or calorie savings?
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I snack every day but HATE those tiny packets of food they call low-calorie, like weight watchers brand food or pretty much anything with a label bragging about how low in calorie it is. They are selling smaller amounts of food and charging more for it most times. My budget doesn't allow for that, and it usually leaves me hungry afterwards anyway! I use fat free dairy products and Sweetex for my coffee though.

I snack on slices of french bread toasted in the oven w/tomatoes, bit of cheese & italian herbs (my newest fav snack). Fruits, or veggies with hummus as a dip. Vanilla pudding with a chopped banana inside is amazing. Air-popped popcorn is 120 calories per 3 cups and you can season it however. I freeze banana chunks and throw it in a blender with milk, spinach, 1/16th tsp mint extract (a tiny tiny bit) & a tsp sugar/sweetener of choice and it tastes like a shamrock shake!

The only things I rely on to keep my calories down while still being able to eat is those 0 calorie 'oil' sprays for cooking, and a butter flavoured one for my popcorn.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I only use almond milk. but I also only have A bowl of cereal once a month. and a protein shake maybe weekly. I agree lower calorie is not always the way. Full Fat for everything else.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    There was a time when I could munch down an entire big bag of M&Ms in an evening. I try to limit my sugar now because, well, no self control!! So I keep fruit handy. If I get that evening sugar craving, I substitute the fruit. Nothing like going to bed without feeling guilty. ;) I also swapped drinking milk for unsweetened tea. I'm hitting the Pike Market Spice Tea right now and will be on to the Lipton Blueberry Pomegranate next. I had milk yesterday to take my pills and didn't even enjoy it. Funny how tastes can change. But the biggest change by far is that we only eat out once or twice a week and I always ask the nutrition information before I order. OR plan it into my daily budget-o-calories. Before, we ate out all the time and nowhere near as healthy. Cooking meals at home is the best way to ensure you are able to track your eating habits. I'm down 37lbs in 3.5mos with these simple changes. Sure, I exercise a little. But for the most part it has been food choices.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There are really only two things I have swapped. I love scrambled eggs so I will often scramble up one egg with enough Egg Beaters to equal another two eggs. Also, I love having sandwiches for lunch so, instead of buying prepackaged or high sodium deli lunch meat I have gone to Boar's Head brand. They have a no salt added turkey breast and a low sodium roast beef that is really tasty and only about 20% of the sodium in pre packaged or regular deli.