Stroke and 127 lost with pictures!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!

You hardly even resemble that person in the above photo.

Kudos to you for not giving up and treating yourself to a healthier you!

Cheers!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks,

Yes, I realize I am a lot better off now than before, and know things could be a lot worse. I remember after the stroke, not knowing if I would even walk again or even end up in an assisted living facility, as I did not know what the outcome would be. I suppose, at that time, even the dr's were not even sure. I was in the hospital for 35 days, 14 of which were in intensive care. Started off in a wheelchair, which I was not allowed to get in or out of my self, then progressed to a walker, then to a cane and finally nothing. I went to physical, speech and occupational therapy for the last 3 weeks in the hospital, as the first 2 weeks, they wouldnt let me do it until they got my blood pressure under control. Then after being discharged, the therapy continued for about another 2 months. I remember them telling me I was lucky, well in a weird way, and showed me others that had a sinilar stroke, who would always be in a wheelchair and probably never progress and then alot don't even survive.

So I realize that i have come far. I do drive, even though that took awhile as I couldnt reach with my left arm to close the car door, so had to reach with the right arm. I would avoid drive thrus as I knew reaching was a problem.

I was still eating bad,and of course not getting any exercise, so ended up gaining about 50 pounds, getting up to 282, which was one of the worst things after a stroke, because they say if you have 1 stroke, you are more likely to have a 2nd. I was was taking alot of medication, about 28 pills a day, many being blood pressure and pain, as there was damage to the left side of my body, and still is even to this day. There is always a burnt, cold tingling feel in my hands and feet, a tightness in my legs and knee, and my balance is off especially when my legs get tired.

Then a friend told me about My Fitness Pal. I never was concerned about diet or calories, which is probably why I ended up with the stroke and being here. I love computers, electronics, and challanges, and was not sure if I would last on mfp for a week. Then a week later jan 14,2013, I bought a fitbit thinking it may motivate me. Before that, I probably walked 500-1000 steps a day. I started off slow, and now have walked 2700 miles. I guess it worked.

I realize if I didn't take the steps I did, I easily would have been over 300 pounds now, possibly having another stroke. I have gone from a 48 waist to a 32 and a xxl shirt to a small.

I do not have cheat days. I figure that that is what got me here. That's not to say I am perfect. Now though if I want something bad, I work for it first, then eat it. For instance, if I want a 500 calorie cheesburger, before I would just eat it, but now I will exercise and when I burn those calories, then I will go eat it, kind of like a reward and it makes it easier knowing if I obtain that number, I will eat something I like.

The one thing I didn't realize is the social aspect of this. I have met so many people from all over the world, some that I speak to almost everyday.

Now that I basically at my goal, I am staying with it to be held accountable and not to be like so many others I have seen, that get to their goal, leave and are back a year later, gaining everything back plus more.

Also, I am hoping that maybe something that I have gone thru, can maybe prevent others from doing the same.

Before picture taken Jan 4,2013

Anyway, hope you have a great weekend and feel free to contact me anytime and feel free to add me as a friend...

By the way, originally from New Jersey and now live in South Florida....:smile::smile:

Truly inspirational.

Awesome job. :)
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You look like a whole new person (and I bet you feel that way, too!). Thank you for sharing. I am feeling inspired to buckle down and keep on going (was getting lazy).
  • strutdivastrut
    strutdivastrut Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks,

Yes, I realize I am a lot better off now than before, and know things could be a lot worse. I remember after the stroke, not knowing if I would even walk again or even end up in an assisted living facility, as I did not know what the outcome would be. I suppose, at that time, even the dr's were not even sure. I was in the hospital for 35 days, 14 of which were in intensive care. Started off in a wheelchair, which I was not allowed to get in or out of my self, then progressed to a walker, then to a cane and finally nothing. I went to physical, speech and occupational therapy for the last 3 weeks in the hospital, as the first 2 weeks, they wouldnt let me do it until they got my blood pressure under control. Then after being discharged, the therapy continued for about another 2 months. I remember them telling me I was lucky, well in a weird way, and showed me others that had a sinilar stroke, who would always be in a wheelchair and probably never progress and then alot don't even survive.

So I realize that i have come far. I do drive, even though that took awhile as I couldnt reach with my left arm to close the car door, so had to reach with the right arm. I would avoid drive thrus as I knew reaching was a problem.

I was still eating bad,and of course not getting any exercise, so ended up gaining about 50 pounds, getting up to 282, which was one of the worst things after a stroke, because they say if you have 1 stroke, you are more likely to have a 2nd. I was was taking alot of medication, about 28 pills a day, many being blood pressure and pain, as there was damage to the left side of my body, and still is even to this day. There is always a burnt, cold tingling feel in my hands and feet, a tightness in my legs and knee, and my balance is off especially when my legs get tired.

Then a friend told me about My Fitness Pal. I never was concerned about diet or calories, which is probably why I ended up with the stroke and being here. I love computers, electronics, and challanges, and was not sure if I would last on mfp for a week. Then a week later jan 14,2013, I bought a fitbit thinking it may motivate me. Before that, I probably walked 500-1000 steps a day. I started off slow, and now have walked 2700 miles. I guess it worked.

I realize if I didn't take the steps I did, I easily would have been over 300 pounds now, possibly having another stroke. I have gone from a 48 waist to a 32 and a xxl shirt to a small.

I do not have cheat days. I figure that that is what got me here. That's not to say I am perfect. Now though if I want something bad, I work for it first, then eat it. For instance, if I want a 500 calorie cheesburger, before I would just eat it, but now I will exercise and when I burn those calories, then I will go eat it, kind of like a reward and it makes it easier knowing if I obtain that number, I will eat something I like.

The one thing I didn't realize is the social aspect of this. I have met so many people from all over the world, some that I speak to almost everyday.

Now that I basically at my goal, I am staying with it to be held accountable and not to be like so many others I have seen, that get to their goal, leave and are back a year later, gaining everything back plus more.

Also, I am hoping that maybe something that I have gone thru, can maybe prevent others from doing the same.

Before picture taken Jan 4,2013

96e34177-89b6-461e-bba5-219bdd7715af.jpg[/URL]

After picture taken July 12,2014
    10501975_10152560540103139_7928013153061434813_n.jpg[/URL]

Anyway, hope you have a great weekend and feel free to contact me anytime and feel free to add me as a friend...

By the way, originally from New Jersey and now live in South Florida....:smile: :smil

Awesome journey ????
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!