Can I over due fruit?

Options
I was wondering if I should limit my fruit intake? I'm working on eating more fruits and vegetables but I've mostly just been eating fruit. How much is too much?

Replies

• kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Some fruits are very carb dense, you need to be more concerned with your macros, not just whether or not its a fruit or vegetable. Now I will get some popcorn and wait for the hippies to start talking about sugar.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can overdo anything, whether it's a nutrient dense food like fruit or a nutrient poor food like donuts. If you don't run a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight so be sure to keep an eye on that at the end of the day.

Some fruits can be have quite a few calories in relation to size, and most are quite high in carbohydrates. HOWEVER, if you are meeting your protein and fat goal levels and are getting plenty of vitamins and minerals, there's no problem with having fruit.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a LOT of fruit lately. Peaches, plums, grapes and watermelon are all currently being harvested locally and I simply can't resist. I'm going through about 5-9 servings of fruit alone every day and only 4ish servings of veg. Yeah, it's a lot of carbs, but I can't eat wheat and refuse to buy the GF, devoid of nutrients substitutions out there.. I also rarely eat other cereal grains and take it easy on starchy vegetables so without all those grains and starchy veg I have a LOT of room in my macros for those extra carbs. In my mind, as long as you are getting adequate protein and fat and not going over your calories, then you really can't overdo it on fruit.... but stick close to the john just in case.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Yes, if their consumption results in your eating over your caloric needs. And results in under-eating protein.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    If you are counting it and it fits into your calories for the day, it's fine. But contrary to WW's philosophy, fruit is not a "free food." Some fruits like grapes and bananas are fairly high in calories. Right now, I've been eating lots of fresh berries and peaches, which are in season. Peaches are a good source of vitamin A if you don't care for sweet potatoes or carrots.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I've been eating a LOT of fruit lately. Peaches, plums, grapes and watermelon are all currently being harvested locally and I simply can't resist. I'm going through about 5-9 servings of fruit alone every day and only 4ish servings of veg. Yeah, it's a lot of carbs, but I can't eat wheat and refuse to buy the GF, devoid of nutrients substitutions out there.. I also rarely eat other cereal grains and take it easy on starchy vegetables so without all those grains and starchy veg I have a LOT of room in my macros for those extra carbs. In my mind, as long as you are getting adequate protein and fat and not going over your calories, then you really can't overdo it on fruit.... but stick close to the john just in case.

I eat GF (4 years now), and lots of GF options now are comparable to normal offerings. I have some bread that is similar in composition to other breads, it just is smaller/denser but tastes great. Udi's makes delicious cinnamon raisin bagels.

Also, if it's just wheat specifically that bothers you, then there's no issue for you in eating other glutinous grains. If it's gluten specifically, then yes you need to avoid any grains or non-grain foods with gluten in them. I do not do well with gluten overall, not simply wheat, so I do abide by a strict GF diet although I do not really worry too much about cross-contamination as I'm not Celiac (or at least unlikely)
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    Fruit is the foundation of my diet and probably my existence as well.

Enjoy it while it's still in season!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's not like they'll fine you and take away your fruit card
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's not like they'll fine you and take away your fruit card

bahahaha
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I eat GF (4 years now), and lots of GF options now are comparable to normal offerings. I have some bread that is similar in composition to other breads, it just is smaller/denser but tastes great. Udi's makes delicious cinnamon raisin bagels.

Also, if it's just wheat specifically that bothers you, then there's no issue for you in eating other glutinous grains. If it's gluten specifically, then yes you need to avoid any grains or non-grain foods with gluten in them. I do not do well with gluten overall, not simply wheat, so I do abide by a strict GF diet although I do not really worry too much about cross-contamination as I'm not Celiac (or at least unlikely)

I have multiple inflammatory diseases that are exacerbated by wheat but I do eat a little barley on occasion without issues but who knows what would happen if I made it a regular part of my diet. I seem to do the best when I steer clear of obvious sources of wheat as much as possible and take it very light with other cereal grains. I try to avoid GF packaged foods because they're mostly just very refined other grains.. it's hard to find whole grain GF products. Not that I require GF, but 99.9% of GF foods are completely wheat free so I know they would be safe for me.. BUT I avoid them because they don't give me a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to nutrition. Maybe when I get back to the states I'll check out some of the newer offerings. I'm in North Africa right now and the offerings are scarce and not very nutritionally sound.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I detest most veggies. (I am looking at you brussel spouts)
  • ana3067
    Options

I have multiple inflammatory diseases that are exacerbated by wheat but I do eat a little barley on occasion without issues but who knows what would happen if I made it a regular part of my diet. I seem to do the best when I steer clear of obvious sources of wheat as much as possible and take it very light with other cereal grains. I try to avoid GF packaged foods because they're mostly just very refined other grains.. it's hard to find whole grain GF products. Not that I require GF, but 99.9% of GF foods are completely wheat free so I know they would be safe for me.. BUT I avoid them because they don't give me a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to nutrition. Maybe when I get back to the states I'll check out some of the newer offerings. I'm in North Africa right now and the offerings are scarce and not very nutritionally sound.

Definitely best to listen to your body when eliminating any food/ingredients for comfort or health reasons. I went GF because it helped alleviate my GI/IBS/something problems, although for me even something like barley (glutinous but not wheat) once in a while will still trigger those issues for me :( Which sucks, I loved barley!

When you do get back, I would definitely at least check out the prepackaged GF stuff, just to see if there's anything you'd like for even occasional eating. Not sure what the availability is like, but in terms of simply taste and texture, Kinnikinnick and Udi's seem to make the best GF stuff. Glutino... hit and miss for sure.

ETA: a lot of GF pasta is actually just rice bran and water, and there are some brown rice ones too if you'd like to incorporate more traditional pasta in your diet again. Tinkyada comes to mind. Catelli makes a blended one, but it does use white rice if that's an issue for you. There's also corn pasta, which I do like but it's sweeter than the rice.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    If you are trying to lose weight, you want to stay within your calorie allowance. If the fruit you are eating doesn't put you over, you should still lose, and it is perfectly fine to eat fruit.
    Balance and Moderation in all food and drink. You can have too many calories with anything you eat or drink
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The general recommendation for ACTUAL experts is that, for most people, half of everything should be a fruit or a veggie.

Some people are very anti-fruit and eat none because it has a lot of sugar. Other people live solely on fruit - call themselves "fruitarians." Aim for somewhere in the middle.

You should ask your doctor. They'll tell you what kind of foods you should be eating and will let you know what, if any, limits you should place on fruit. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My breakfast today:

1/8 cup of golden raisins
    25 grapes
    5.5 strawberries
    1 stick of a Nature Valley Crunchy granola bar

213 calories. Take out the granola bar, 118 calories.

I was REALLY full when I was done, too. Very, very full. Kind of stuffed. Had to slow down toward the end, going slowly to get it all in.

You can eat a lot of fruit for very few calories. :)
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Once I ate several oranges over a period of time and it hurt my teeth enamel. And once I ate to many green apples....poop city.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit and it doesn't cause any weight gain. I have a few guidelines though.

1. I don't eat any fruit after lunch.
    2. It still has to fit into my caloric goal.

I usually hit my macros because even though fruits are usually high in carbohydrates, they are generally higher in fibre too. I'm trying to stick to what's seasonal now so I'm getting a lot of berries. I say go ahead and enjoy your fruit!
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would look at what the types of fruit you're eating is doing to your overall sugar intake. I have to be careful with my sugar and I ate a cup of grapes one day and it out me over the top of sugar. Berries are best. This might be TMI, but I would think if you're getting diarrhea, you're overdoing it on the fruit. Try branching out into new vegetables. I know when I was growing up my mother served canned peas, carrots and green beans most of the time. It took me awhile to try new stuff. Now I really like different kinds of squashes like spaghetti and butternut, I like parsnips and leeks, You might try experimenting with some new recipes with vegetables to make it a little more fun. Truthfully though, I mostly exist on different kinds of lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes and red peppers. I'm on this medically supervised diet where I have to have three cups of vegetables and fruits for lunch and dinner. If I have fruit with one of those meals I usually limit myself to one cup. :smile:
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    I tend to take a more "whole eating" approach to things so my opinion may differ. I think if it's natural, within your caloric allowance, and tasty then you should eat it. I will, however, remind you to not forget your protein. The standard american diet is usually really lacking in protein and it is absolutely key! So as long as you can strike a balance and you listen to your body, I think you'll be fine :)
  • jmmurray203
    jmmurray203 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can overdo anything. Eat what you want if you can fit it into your calories.

In general, vegetables are less caloric and more filling but they don't taste as good.