Looking for people that switched from DIET soda to WATER

Options
I love my diet coke. I don't drink them as much as I use to but I still drink 1 a day. Someone challenged me to drink water only for 2 weeks, and that I would drop weight quicker due to the aspartame. I want to hear from people that have made the change. Has it quickened the weight loss process? Does it help with belly fat? Also, I do not drink regular cokes, just diet. :drinker:

Replies

• fancyladymeek
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well! I drink Diet Coke - like a lot of it (often about 2 liters a day, about 10 liters a week.)

For me, I use it for the taste....sometimes when I'm really craving food I'll drink a glass of diet coke and having that flavor makes the craving lessen or go away.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet as well quite a bit. I have been drinking 14 glasses of water a day and I lost ten pounds just in the water weight! So I think it does definitely play a role! And if you are craving some flavor, I bought this real lemon juice and it has zero added sugar and no calories and it makes water taste great!
  • lgeren
    lgeren Posts: 45
    Options
    I had my last Diet Dr Pepper on Dec 31st & cut them out totally Jan 1st. I was very addicted to my Dr Pepper & Diet Dr Pepper. I lost a fast 9 lbs. Now it's coming off a little slower but I think cutting them out was a HUGE factor in my weight loss.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would wean yourself off of them slowly. What about cutting it to 1/2 a diet soda for a few days. If you take them out suddenly you could cause yourself to have caffine withdraw headaches. I know I have them if I skip my onecup of coffee or diet soda a day. I also do not thing that 1 a day will kill you. I think that just uping the water you drink in total will help. I personally usually have my coffee or diet soda 1st thing in the morning. Then the rest of the day is water for me. I am loosing about 1.5-2lbs every week even with having a diet soda every day.

Good luck.
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I kicked the diet soda habit about 4 months ago. I really wanted to do away with the aspartame and other artifical sweeteners. I am so glad I did. It took a few days to get used to not having my caffeine, but I feel better now. I no longer have the ups and downs in energy throughout the day. I think it is easier to lose, but it is hard to say for sure since I cut outthe soda during the holidays (glutony Thanksgiving through Christmas!) I am happy to get the artifical sweeteners out of my body, I always worry about the health isses they mention are possibly associated with them. I think it has helped, but even if it hasn't directly helped with weight loss, I am leaving those chemicals behind. Good luck!!!
  • CymLN
    CymLN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have always liked my sodas. So, the first big move was to switch from regular to diet. At work, we have a commercial bottled water dispenser, so I started drinking the water at my desk. I did find that I drink less diet soda, but I still like the flavor of one now and then. I probably have two / week now. I cannot specifically answer whether I would have lost weight faster without them, but to me making your calorie target daily was more productive than drinking only water and the freedom to still have choices in diet or beverage was very motivating. I also find it is more important to change small habits like taking the stairs versus the elevator and periodic short walks through the day.

2390777.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AshAmzing
    Options
    My husband stopped drinking soda right before the new year. He was extremely bloated and while his diet wasn't bad, he decided he needed to make the change of knocking out sodas first. Well, within a few days he dropped 3lbs and his bloat was gone. I, myself, have pretty much been soda free since August, and while I crave it occasionally, the first week of watching my diet and kicking soda out of my diet, I dropped 5lbs.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it quite as drastically--I went from about 10 a day to about 1 every 4 days. I do think it's made a difference--I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks before I quit, and I've lost 4 this week alone. I don't know that I'll ever be able to totally cut it out (I hate coffee and occasionally need a wakeup, and I love the way the bubbles dance across my tongue...) but I have noticed that, so far, I'm losing it more quickly. If I were you, I'd say give it a shot. What do you have to use?
  • helenamonks
    Options
    1.Aspartame : Yes, the FDA approved it for use and deemed it safe. However, they also recognized ninety-two different symptoms that resulted from ingesting aspartame. Use your head! (From the people that wrote "Skinny *****")

Aspartame when ingested is recognized as a toxin in your body, you are better off drinking regular soda (which did I mention can remove corrosion from a battery?) Than diet sodas.

At least your body knows how to break down regular soda.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I can't say whether it made me lose faster, but I went from drinking 4 or 5 cans of diet coke a day to maybe 1 per week. There's no way I'd be able to drink my water quota if I was still drinking all the soda, so maybe focus on that.
    They say the water should help flush all the impurities, like sodium which makes you retain water, from your system.

On a side note, you appreciate it more. I just had a rum and diet coke, and it felt like such a treat!
  • laurar1203
    Options
    I've been told that the body treats diet soda like regular - releasing insulin in response, but because there is no actual sugar, you'll get even hungrier. I recently have stopped drinking diet soda and feel much more stablized. I personally like to drink Perrier water - that way I still get the soda feel. Good luck!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Oh me! I did!

I grew up drinking Diet Coke - my dad and sister both have Type I (aka juvenile) diabetes, so we always had NutraSweet or Equal or other synthetic sweeteners in the house. I actually really dislike the taste of sugary drinks because of this...and I love Diet Coke.

I've quit drinking it multiple times over my life, but keep falling off the wagon. This past October when I decided to get healthy, I cut Diet Coke out completely, and switched to water and green (and herbal) tea. It is not the same. I miss my Diet Coke. But I feel so much better. Honestly, I had a massive headache for the first several days. But I just kept drinking water. I've lost almost 22 pounds (I know my ticker says 22 pounds, but it lies! I've lost 21.5 pounds). I don't think it's because I quit drinking Diet Coke - I'm eating healthy foods and staying under my calorie goal and exercising. However, I think it helps a lot.

In my opinion, it's worth it to quit drinking Diet Coke - you save money, feel better, and it will at least help with your weight loss.
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    I love all the responses. I'm going to try and cut down (and eventually cut out) on the diet sodas. For now I'll have a glass with lunch and dinner and thats it...and then when my current stock is gone I'll only buy one (2 liter) a week...and go from there!
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i too, gave up my beloved diet pepsi....i drink more water now....and am incorporating more juice into my diet....im sure it played a role in the amount of weight i lost, first week alone, but not completely sure....i must say, if i had one now my body prolly wouldnt know what to do with it l:laugh:
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was a coke fanatic. Always had to have it, no matter where I was. Then when I went to the doctor and he said quit it because of possible diabetic issues, I was terrified. nOoOoOOo!!! I can't go without my Coke! I swear, I was thinking that I was addicted. Truth, I was. BUT, I was able to quit, and now have been drinking nothing but water. I find myself craving it more and more. I have a bottle that I carry everywhere with me. The easiest way for me to transition was to add a Splenda and some lemon to it. Then, I was kind of like lemonade. Now, sometimes I add lemon and sometimes I don't. I do like it cold however.

I watch the juices because of sugar in them.