Books to read

Options
sarah3333
sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
Hi guys! I love to read. It is something I can escape in instead of food. I'm always looking for good books. I would love to hear what books you loved. Any recommendations?

Replies

• Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    What kind of books?
  • sarah3333
    Options
    Any kind really. I like classics, regular fiction, historical fiction, thrillers, and biographies. The only thing I'm not really into is science fiction and fantasy.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Any kind really. I like classics, regular fiction, historical fiction, thrillers, and biographies. The only thing I'm not really into is science fiction and fantasy.

I am absolutely zero help to you then haha.

Unless you like Phillipa Gregory? In which case I recommend her, and Phillipa Carr (similar style but older) and Victoria Holt.
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm also no help... lol. Maybe the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    The Satanic Bible
    Matrix of Power
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I'm currently reading it and it is so good!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If you like biographies, maybe some of these autobiographies would work. They are among my favorites...

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis
    Roots of Style - Isabel Toledo
    Fresh Off the Boat - Eddie Huang
    Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling
    Finding Me - Michelle Knight
    Happy Accidents - Jane Lynch
    Orange is the New Black - Piper Kerman (way different from the TV series, I like both though)

in a similar vein, from graphic novelists...

French Milk - Lucy Knisley
    Fun Home - Alison Bechdel
    Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? - Roz Chast
    Relish - Lucy Knisley

I also really like Steve Martin (the actor) as an author. My favorites by him are Shopgirl (pretty different from the movie) and The Pleasure of My Company.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt will probably remain my favorite book until the day that I die.
  • cburke719
    Options
    Try the Outlander series by Diana Galbaldan. They will definitely keep you busy and very entertaining.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I just read the first half of the chalice. It's a quick read historical fiction. So far so good.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Agree The Help Is a GREAT Read!!!

I keep a book blog and have TONS of great books I've read & reviewed. Do you have a Kindle or an eReader of some Kind? If so, check out the website, dailyfreebooks.com, I get a daily listing of books there I read from time to time, they are mostly Indie Books but really great all the same!

As for some really good books:

Historical Fiction, the 1929 Series by M.L. Gardner are A-MAZING! I've only read Jonathan's Cross and was blown away!
    Also, really love Forgetting Tabitha The Story of an Orphan Train Rider by Julie Dewey

Oh and Why Aren't You Sweet Like Me? by Carrie Nyman is a Beautiful Story!

If you love Fantasy/Paranormal Romance, check out the Kingdom Series by Marie Hall! Very good books!

I personally love a good time travel romance and my favorites as the Midwest Passages books by John A. Heldt are amazing books that connect one to the next to the next following (1) family's adventures with time travel!

Out of Time by Monique Martin is a Great read along with the Time Series Books by Deborah Truscott

I didn't really like Fantasy either, but if you like short stories may I suggest Writers of the Future: Vol. 30 are a great way to get acclimated to Fantasy without stepping too far out of bounds!

I also love to read anything by Heather Hildenbrand, Keith Maginn, and Carrie May Lucas I have networked with these ladies and not only are they amazing authors but they are stellar ladies!

I'd be happy to offer more suggestions, but have I think talked your ear off, I have reviews of these books on my blog, http://www.ncreadergirl.wordpress.com Enjoy and Happy Reading!
  • scarletpride16
    Options
    I used to be sort of a "classic" novel buff so to this day, "Wuthering Heights" is still my favorite novel of all time!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    There's a group here.."When I'm Not On MFP, I'm Reading.."

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/477-when-i-m-not-on-mfp-i-m-reading
  • kcl29
    kcl29 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - excellent, quick read. Great characters.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you love your thrillers, I recommend the following:

Any of James Patterson and Dean Koontz books
    Jeffrey Archer does great political thrillers (but not overly political)
    Tess Gerritsen (she does the Rizzoli and Isles books)

These three authors I read most of, though Michael Connelly is also really good.

I'm in the middle of Unlucky 13 by James Patterson. His Women's Murder Club books are awesome.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you like thrillers/mysteries/just out and out messed up- hands down, the BEST book I've ever read in my life was

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

I will warn you, due to the formatting of the book, it cannot be read on a Kindle or otherwise. It has to be read in a traditional book format. It's one you will never regret reading. Ever.

tumblr_lzto77niza1rp32b4o1_500.png
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    Speaker For The Dead - Orson Scott Card
    Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
    Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you like biographies, maybe some of these autobiographies would work. They are among my favorites...

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis
    Roots of Style - Isabel Toledo
    Fresh Off the Boat - Eddie Huang
    Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling
    Finding Me - Michelle Knight
    Happy Accidents - Jane Lynch
    Orange is the New Black - Piper Kerman (way different from the TV series, I like both though)

in a similar vein, from graphic novelists...

French Milk - Lucy Knisley
    Fun Home - Alison Bechdel
    Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? - Roz Chast
    Relish - Lucy Knisley

I also really like Steve Martin (the actor) as an author. My favorites by him are Shopgirl (pretty different from the movie) and The Pleasure of My Company.

Yes Scar Tissue is so great! What a pleasant surprise that book was!

I just read an awesome book called Brain on Fire. It's a memoir written by a journalist who suffered an extremely debilitating brain condition in her 20's. It's quite an incredible journey.

Cider House Rules is amazing. I also couldn't put down The Other Boylen Girl by Philippa Gregory. I don't love her other books though.

Otherwise, I've been working my way through a bunch of super guilty pleasure Nora Roberts novels this summer.
  • sarah3333
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks guys!