Will this help my weight loss?

Options
I am 5"3 & 125 pounds looking to tone up and loose about 15 pounds. I am what you call "skinny fat". About a month ago I have been going to the gym and switching between cardio & weight training. Now its time to change my diet. I am starting to meal prep so help with portion control, as I sometimes binge. It's a little difficult planning meals because I do not eat meat. Any experts out there, can you let me know if my week meal i am listing below sounds like a good weight loss plan? If you suggest any changes let me know THANKS!

Breakfast:
Plain Oats w/ Skim Milk + honey.
Small serving of Fruit
Tea - No milk or sugar

Lunch:
Mexican Salad:
-red, green, & yellow peppers raw. Onions, jalepenos, lime juice, black beans, corn, 1 tbsp EVOO, cilantro & cherry tomatoes.
-6 blue grain tortilla chips

Snack:
6 cucumber slices w/ 2 tbsp Hummus

Dinner:
-Couscous w/ red onion, cucumbers & no fat feta cheese
-half a sweet potato roasted. no toppings.

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just tone up? 120 seems like a fine weight. I'm not being judgy-just curious.
  • Smatiak
    Smatiak Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No worries! I just seem to be at a plateau and figured if I incorporated this into my fitness/diet routine it would speed up the process.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Well, have you put it into your food log & seen if it meets your macros, calorie goal, nutrition needs, etc?
    Just by eyeballing it, it looks to be very low-calorie, well below 1200, which is a bad idea.
    You're not that short to need to eat under 1200.

I'd add beans & maybe cheese to the salad, nuts to the oatmeal, more protein in general.

125 is pretty much in the middle of a healthy weight range.
    Instead of losing more, how about you focus on maintaining (15 cal per lb = 1875), increase your protein, increase your weightlifting, and work on building some muscle, trimming, toning, etc.
    You'll probably look marvelous and be at a healthy weight.
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Where's the protein??? I know you said you don't eat meat but there are plenty of other sources. Eggs, beans, fish, tofu, even Greek yogurt. They say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are creating a calorie deficit, but protein helps you keep your muscle tone, and satisfies you so you don't get hungry as quickly. Incorporate some.
  • Smatiak
    Smatiak Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestion! I forgot to add there are beans in the salad, whoops! I will def. work on the weightlifting & toning!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    At this pint, going to the gym and lifting heavy weights will get you to where you want to be in terms of how you look, not what you eat. Start lifting weights.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If this food will have you eating at a deficit from the number of calories you need to maintain your weight.. then yeah sure it will help.

If you;re stalled, recalculate your TDEE (or calculate for the first time) from a few websites, subtract 20% max, and see howt hat compares to your current daily average intake. If it's lower, then increase to the amount given by those websites to help boost your metabolism. If it's about the same, try eating at your estimated maintenance for a week to help boost your metabolism.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and about 8 lbs heavier and I would be gnawing my arm off if I ate that little.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    At this pint, going to the gym and lifting heavy weights will get you to where you want to be in terms of how you look, not what you eat. Start lifting weights.
    And this!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Losing MORE weight won't solve the "skinny-fat" issue you're having. You'll need to incorporate more protein into your diet and start a lifting regime to build some muscle. You will have to gain some weight in the form of muscle, then go ahead and lose a few more pounds to get rid of some fat if you're still unsatisfied and if it won't be an unhealthy amount.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't eat meat but there are plenty of other sources.
    Eggs, beans, fish, tofu, even Greek yogurt.
    Fish is an animal. Vegetarians don't eat animals (meat).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't eat meat but there are plenty of other sources.
    Eggs, beans, fish, tofu, even Greek yogurt.
    Fish is an animal. Vegetarians don't eat animals (meat).

Pescetarians do. Which is probably a better alternative for anyone who cares about body composition.